DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by DerechosRYummy »

twig wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am thanks! Does the ES ever stay the same? i'm not sure about that, but I don't think so. Just hoping that the brother and sister are not the E.S. for DP, cause they are good at it. and yes, CA is very competitive once you throw the OC schools in (Kraemer, JT, etc.) and you sprinkle some Carmel Valley, Mesa Robles, and Chaparral in there.
I don't like the fact that my coaches are saying "get a medal at states" for all of my events and I'm very indecisive so that's why I'm asking this.
Fossils/DP coach says get first for both, and Meteo coach said get a medal at states and "I'm proud of you girls" yesterday but then the day before he said "place higher than last year" (5th, now 4th oh my goodnesssssss)
I was also called a "Tim" (referring to Umaroth) when I ran and go get the medals because I thought we did trash in Fossils and ok in DP, as soon as they called it, i was so nervous, turns out we did well. My mom said that when we came out of Fossils, we looked so happy, but then they asked: "how did we do?" I said "bad", I think we were happy because we were talking to some team and were laughing a lot.

I don't even know what to study for Meteo now... they're just throwing some random trivia on there and expecting us to know it. States was well written last year but still outlining the basics, then going in depth at the end of the test by reading so many maps. I've been pretty successful in Fossils, and absolutely shocked too many times thinking that we did bad, but then we actually did really good. Chaparral officially can not keep up with my Fossils skills. I feel like i spent too much time on Fossils now, so I'm migrating to studying for DP and Meteo because my partner is still not satisfied with a fourth place in it at regionals. AND yay it's nice to know that my Fossils/DP partner abandoned me for anatomy AGAIN
At least for most of the build events, the VA ES stays the same. That's kind of unfair of your coaches, unless they actually plan on going to Nats or placing very high at states. I would try to place in your events if you can, but focus more on the topics that you really care about. In Meteo, just study random NOAA stuff lol. You seem kinda op, so yeah.
IHateClouds
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by IHateClouds »

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:30 am
twig wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am thanks! Does the ES ever stay the same? i'm not sure about that, but I don't think so. Just hoping that the brother and sister are not the E.S. for DP, cause they are good at it. and yes, CA is very competitive once you throw the OC schools in (Kraemer, JT, etc.) and you sprinkle some Carmel Valley, Mesa Robles, and Chaparral in there.
I don't like the fact that my coaches are saying "get a medal at states" for all of my events and I'm very indecisive so that's why I'm asking this.
Fossils/DP coach says get first for both, and Meteo coach said get a medal at states and "I'm proud of you girls" yesterday but then the day before he said "place higher than last year" (5th, now 4th oh my goodnesssssss)
I was also called a "Tim" (referring to Umaroth) when I ran and go get the medals because I thought we did trash in Fossils and ok in DP, as soon as they called it, i was so nervous, turns out we did well. My mom said that when we came out of Fossils, we looked so happy, but then they asked: "how did we do?" I said "bad", I think we were happy because we were talking to some team and were laughing a lot.

I don't even know what to study for Meteo now... they're just throwing some random trivia on there and expecting us to know it. States was well written last year but still outlining the basics, then going in depth at the end of the test by reading so many maps. I've been pretty successful in Fossils, and absolutely shocked too many times thinking that we did bad, but then we actually did really good. Chaparral officially can not keep up with my Fossils skills. I feel like i spent too much time on Fossils now, so I'm migrating to studying for DP and Meteo because my partner is still not satisfied with a fourth place in it at regionals. AND yay it's nice to know that my Fossils/DP partner abandoned me for anatomy AGAIN
At least for most of the build events, the VA ES stays the same. That's kind of unfair of your coaches, unless they actually plan on going to Nats or placing very high at states. I would try to place in your events if you can, but focus more on the topics that you really care about. In Meteo, just study random NOAA stuff lol. You seem kinda op, so yeah.
some states tell you who proctors/writes the exam, but honestly the test writer is more important and ESs tend to change. i've found that the writer tends to stay the same based on how the test is written. i agree with DerechosRYummy that its kind of unfair for your coaches, but it is their job. the problem is coaches are focused on the team, whereas unless your going to nats, you would be more focused on your individual placements. also i dont know your partner but it seems kind of rude for them to want you to study harder since your partners? idk i wouldnt just study events because they want you to lol
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

IHateClouds wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:35 am since CA is so competitive, it seems like its not really an option to medal in all of your events (idk how competitive it rlly is, just making a guess there)
It is possible to medal in all events in SoCal, but don't stress if you don't, even if you did prepare a lot. Some things like test quality are beyond one's control, and soloing or effectively soloing events can be extremely difficult and stressful. It is possible, though, so don't give up!
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
SciolyGuy411

Post by SciolyGuy411 »

Twigs, Ihateclouds and derecho. I hesitate to comment but can I suggest you take your banter to a PM/off line somewhere. I don't feel that you personal comments are germane to the intended topic of the Scioly Wiki. I come to these pages in hope of finding helpful topics or suggestion to research, experience on what topics or questions other students are seeing on invite tests etc. Not trying to be a hater, just dont find your idle chatter helpful or constructive. Peace Out
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

SciolyGuy411 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 4:33 pm Twigs, Ihateclouds and derecho. I hesitate to comment but can I suggest you take your banter to a PM/off line somewhere. I don't feel that you personal comments are germane to the intended topic of the Scioly Wiki. I come to these pages in hope of finding helpful topics or suggestion to research, experience on what topics or questions other students are seeing on invite tests etc. Not trying to be a hater, just dont find your idle chatter helpful or constructive. Peace Out
I understand your point and I realize that we may not have been entirely on the topic of meteo, but it did pertain to competing in meteo. If you would like to discuss a different topic, you are welcome to suggest another question/topic which we would love to discuss. Altho you didn't find this conversation helpful, keep in mind it was helpful to me and probably helpful to others. If the mods disagree, we can move this conversation elsewhere.
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: February 24th, 2020, 12:53 pm
SciolyGuy411 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 4:33 pm Twigs, Ihateclouds and derecho. I hesitate to comment but can I suggest you take your banter to a PM/off line somewhere. I don't feel that you personal comments are germane to the intended topic of the Scioly Wiki. I come to these pages in hope of finding helpful topics or suggestion to research, experience on what topics or questions other students are seeing on invite tests etc. Not trying to be a hater, just dont find your idle chatter helpful or constructive. Peace Out
I understand your point and I realize that we may not have been entirely on the topic of meteo, but it did pertain to competing in meteo. If you would like to discuss a different topic, you are welcome to suggest another question/topic which we would love to discuss. Altho you didn't find this conversation helpful, keep in mind it was helpful to me and probably helpful to others. If the mods disagree, we can move this conversation elsewhere.
I agree with IHateClouds. We're happy to discuss another topic if you'd like, but if that is the case, you can give us something to discuss relating to the actual topic of meteo. If you want to quiz and be quizzed, feel free to use the question marathon forum for meteo. However, what we were talking about does relate to competing in meteo, and I personally find it helpful as well.
twig
Division: B
State: CA

Post by twig »

I'm sorry for not pertaining to topic of SS, but to me, our conversation between the both of them was pretty helpful to me. Our conversation was only pertaining to the competition of Meteorology. If you don't like this, then yes, we can move the conversation.(but I'm running out of space in my PMs) If you don't find this helpful, you can take the opportunity to ask questions relating to Meteo to any of us. (preferably not me, too many people are asking me for advice for Fossils and other events as well) You can always use the question marathon to study and find ways to make this more Meteo.

If anyone needs to contact me:
Find me on Discord (on the fossils bot) or email me at my email

Forgot to ask this: What radars do we need to know besides POES, GOES, Doppler Radar? (i only know basics of it)
I have to start researching the answer to the ffa question
"List all the tools that can detect hurricanes and write their purpose"
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

twig wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm
I'm sorry for not pertaining to topic of SS, but to me, our conversation between the both of them was pretty helpful to me. Our conversation was only pertaining to the competition of Meteorology. If you don't like this, then yes, we can move the conversation.(but I'm running out of space in my PMs) If you don't find this helpful, you can take the opportunity to ask questions relating to Meteo to any of us. (preferably not me, too many people are asking me for advice for Fossils and other events as well) You can always use the question marathon to study and find ways to make this more Meteo.

If anyone needs to contact me:
Find me on Discord (on the fossils bot) or email me at my email

Forgot to ask this: What radars do we need to know besides POES, GOES, Doppler Radar? (i only know basics of it)
I have to start researching the answer to the ffa question
"List all the tools that can detect hurricanes and write their purpose"
In terms of radars, I think that that's all of the ones we need to know. For other observation techs, I also have radiosondes, mesonets, ASOS, and aircraft, along with more basic instruments like hygrometers, thermometers, etc.
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

how do you guys differentiate between TVS and debris balls? like theyre both indicative of tornadoes and are always on a hook echo so i cant rlly tell them apart >w<
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: February 26th, 2020, 4:29 pm how do you guys differentiate between TVS and debris balls? like theyre both indicative of tornadoes and are always on a hook echo so i cant rlly tell them apart >w<
If it's pointing to the circular structure then I go with debris ball but if it shows like the whole thing then I say TVS
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?

Return to “2020 Study Events”