twig
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by twig »

IHateClouds wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm
omggggggg climate was so much fun!!!!! i only did it for half a year (i joined late my 6th grade year) but i honestly think its the most fun topic! for a time i considered coming back as a 9th grader purely to do it lol. i would agree with DerechosRYummy that the rules will probably be p similar. glaciers and climate also cover a lot of the same info. (because glaciers have such a heavy effect on climate) the other notable thing is that while you can probably get by in SS if you were p good at everyday weather, climate seems the most different. also about DP, while partners are nice, if you really love it, you can definitely be successful soloing in B division. rip my 6th grade partner whos there just to do math because i cant do simple addition lol.
i mean i suck at everyday weather to be honest
when i first joined, i didn't even know what was going on. i just got yeeted in there for regionals and somehow was smart enough to beat most teams there and i feel like i'm better at glaciers than everyday weather. i didn't even read the rules for everyday weather either lol. My partner for DP/Fossils is the same one as last year and he's there to flip the binder for me in both events and do math cause i can't math in either event
(i accidentally bombed my absolute dating at mesa even though i wasn't supposed to do the math (and got a 0/5 for that section, but it was so rigged anyways, 3 of the questions were like "What is the oldest fossil that can be dated with C-14? K-40? Uranium 235?" there was literally no way to get those right because they were looking for numbers not fossils)
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

twig wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:55 pm
IHateClouds wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm
omggggggg climate was so much fun!!!!! i only did it for half a year (i joined late my 6th grade year) but i honestly think its the most fun topic! for a time i considered coming back as a 9th grader purely to do it lol. i would agree with DerechosRYummy that the rules will probably be p similar. glaciers and climate also cover a lot of the same info. (because glaciers have such a heavy effect on climate) the other notable thing is that while you can probably get by in SS if you were p good at everyday weather, climate seems the most different. also about DP, while partners are nice, if you really love it, you can definitely be successful soloing in B division. rip my 6th grade partner whos there just to do math because i cant do simple addition lol.
i mean i suck at everyday weather to be honest
when i first joined, i didn't even know what was going on. i just got yeeted in there for regionals and somehow was smart enough to beat most teams there and i feel like i'm better at glaciers than everyday weather. i didn't even read the rules for everyday weather either lol. My partner for DP/Fossils is the same one as last year and he's there to flip the binder for me in both events and do math cause i can't math in either event
(i accidentally bombed my absolute dating at mesa even though i wasn't supposed to do the math (and got a 0/5 for that section, but it was so rigged anyways, 3 of the questions were like "What is the oldest fossil that can be dated with C-14? K-40? Uranium 235?" there was literally no way to get those right because they were looking for numbers not fossils)
lol same I suck at everyday weather but I'm actually decent at severe storms. Btw what happened to the meteo question marathon thingy it's like dead now.
Also happy birthday twig.
IHateClouds
State: PA

Post by IHateClouds »

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:03 am
lol same I suck at everyday weather but I'm actually decent at severe storms. Btw what happened to the meteo question marathon thingy it's like dead now.
im probably better at SS too but i cared more about everyday weather.
uhm for the question marathon i didnt know the answers since i havent studied any of like the satellite stuff because ive never seen a question come up about that so i didnt know the answer :?
also like out of curiosity, do you guys study a lot for meteo? i feel like everything is so easy and not indepth so i dont even bother studying much... (especially since the supervisor in PA is normally like 50 multichoice in an hour :( ) i feel like as long as you know the basic principles, theres not much more that comes up on tests >w<. idk i just feel like ive never had a hard meteo test...
DerechosRYummy
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:38 am
uhm for the question marathon i didnt know the answers since i havent studied any of like the satellite stuff because ive never seen a question come up about that so i didnt know the answer :?
also like out of curiosity, do you guys study a lot for meteo? i feel like everything is so easy and not indepth so i dont even bother studying much... (especially since the supervisor in PA is normally like 50 multichoice in an hour :( ) i feel like as long as you know the basic principles, theres not much more that comes up on tests >w<. idk i just feel like ive never had a hard meteo test...
oh lol we actually get questions on satellites. i think that once you understand the basics of each storm it’s a lot of applying that info, so we study a little about the other areas of meteo like ENSO (and random lightning facts cuz we’re bad at that). most of our tests are pretty easy but longer. if you want a harder test maybe try the nationals one from 2017 (it’s more forecasting and graph stuff and less basic principles).
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds, did you find the Rustin meteo test easy?
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:23 pm IHateClouds, did you find the Rustin meteo test easy?
i feel like it was mainly a time crunch since the test was definitely designed for partners >w< and i had to skip entire sections lol. its not easy in the sense where i knew everything(rip my knowledge of US cities), but more so that it was all matching/mc/short answer and had a bunch of things that just rewarded having some stuff in your cheat sheet.
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:43 pm
i feel like it was mainly a time crunch since the test was definitely designed for partners >w< and i had to skip entire sections lol. its not easy in the sense where i knew everything(rip my knowledge of US cities), but more so that it was all matching/mc/short answer and had a bunch of things that just rewarded having some stuff in your cheat sheet.
Wait...are you implying that you did that test by yourself? Or am I not reading right?

If it's the former, how r u so good at meteo wth

If the latter, then basically the same analysis I had about the test.
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Locoholic wrote: February 20th, 2020, 5:33 pm Wait...are you implying that you did that test by yourself? Or am I not reading right?

If it's the former, how r u so good at meteo wth

If the latter, then basically the same analysis I had about the test.
i had a warm body partner but yeah i did the test myself. uhm i dont think im that good at meteo like you guys sound smarter than me lol.
twig
Division: B

Post by twig »

Firstly... it's not my birthday haha, my birthday is actually on April 22nd, it got really annoying when so 50+ people were like HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the same day. I wanted to hide because I felt like my history teacher was going to be like "we need to sing happy birthday to her", but unfortunately that happened in English :( (because I think my english teacher last year liked me more than history)

Yes, I have to study for Meteo because have you seen how insane these Kennedy, Jeffrey Trail, and Kraemer kids are? They are geniuses and I can not compete with them unless I study. You're lucky that you are in PA and not CA cause the competition is usually what everyone expects it to be, having Kennedy, Kraemer, and JT literally get most of the medals. That's why I get in shock when I get a medal lol cause I think "yeah the test was soo easy" then they call my main event that I try to focus on bc my partner is really bad at fossils... I was too in shock to know that we had beat Kraemer and JT in fossils at Mesa, and still managed to compete with them at JT... Meteo, on the other hand, is kinda my strength, but everyone is good at Meteo. You just need to be able to read all the diagrams and know your storms and you should do fine. You are also VERY VERY VERY SMART wth you are literally underestimating yourself
I'm literally so dumb oh my goodness
The whole team says i'm very smart but that's not even true... (I miss questions that I'm not supposed to in my events then i get frustrated at myself cause i know that we should've gotten that right, honestly if we didn't miss the questions we shouldn't have missed at jt, i think that my partner and i could have gotten like 5th or 6th smh)

I always miss the mark because of some stupid mistake in Meteo. That's why you should never let my Meteo partner read a weather map and let me read all the diagrams because i know how to... or you don't let me deal with hurricane questions
How is it even possible 50 multi choices in an hour? that's so little questions. I'm assuming that there would have been short answer too right?
Literally everything in CA is too intense we have more like 20 in JT then the rest was like reading stuff and short answer and DP was like 40 multi-choice the rest short answer about ~130 questions and so many teams giving up haha including my team as well and fossils (like always) there was a lot of running around and flipping over papers to waste other teams time, but then realize that you are slowing your second team down haha

But nevertheless, our team still sucks (no one was studying as hard as they were supposed to, idk if they took jt for granted... the es were very intimidating including Umaroth)
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

twig wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:31 pm
Firstly... it's not my birthday haha, my birthday is actually on April 22nd, it got really annoying when so 50+ people were like HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the same day. I wanted to hide because I felt like my history teacher was going to be like "we need to sing happy birthday to her", but unfortunately that happened in English :( (because I think my english teacher last year liked me more than history)

Yes, I have to study for Meteo because have you seen how insane these Kennedy, Jeffrey Trail, and Kraemer kids are? They are geniuses and I can not compete with them unless I study. You're lucky that you are in PA and not CA cause the competition is usually what everyone expects it to be, having Kennedy, Kraemer, and JT literally get most of the medals. That's why I get in shock when I get a medal lol cause I think "yeah the test was soo easy" then they call my main event that I try to focus on bc my partner is really bad at fossils... I was too in shock to know that we had beat Kraemer and JT in fossils at Mesa, and still managed to compete with them at JT... Meteo, on the other hand, is kinda my strength, but everyone is good at Meteo. You just need to be able to read all the diagrams and know your storms and you should do fine. You are also VERY VERY VERY SMART wth you are literally underestimating yourself
I'm literally so dumb oh my goodness
The whole team says i'm very smart but that's not even true... (I miss questions that I'm not supposed to in my events then i get frustrated at myself cause i know that we should've gotten that right, honestly if we didn't miss the questions we shouldn't have missed at jt, i think that my partner and i could have gotten like 5th or 6th smh)

I always miss the mark because of some stupid mistake in Meteo. That's why you should never let my Meteo partner read a weather map and let me read all the diagrams because i know how to... or you don't let me deal with hurricane questions
How is it even possible 50 multi choices in an hour? that's so little questions. I'm assuming that there would have been short answer too right?
Literally everything in CA is too intense we have more like 20 in JT then the rest was like reading stuff and short answer and DP was like 40 multi-choice the rest short answer about ~130 questions and so many teams giving up haha including my team as well and fossils (like always) there was a lot of running around and flipping over papers to waste other teams time, but then realize that you are slowing your second team down haha

But nevertheless, our team still sucks (no one was studying as hard as they were supposed to, idk if they took jt for granted... the es were very intimidating including Umaroth)
No one beats powerhouses without studying unless it happens to be a weak event. You don't become good at an event because you're smart, but because you put in the time to study that material. No one is born knowing everything there is to know in a field. I think it would suffice to say that everyone here is smart, but in SciOly, hard work is what gets that medal, ignoring circumstances beyond competitors' control. Yes, some states aren't as competitive as others, but you can also consider yourself lucky to be in CA. What else would push you to study for hours, to learn to put up with partners you wouldn't want to deal with otherwise? These are life skills that will stay with you many years beyond your senior year of high school. When you get a job, you will need to put in work, to compete with people for positions, to work with colleagues whom you might not have the highest opinion of. If it weren't for the competitiveness of our state, what would motivate you to learn that now? A gold medal is a gold medal, so why put in more effort than required? Yes, you may be at a disadvantage. But in life, there will nearly always be someone out there more advantaged than you, and you will have no choice but to accept that and compete against them anyway. The competition lets you grow now, when the stakes are low, so that you are prepared to apply the same skills when there is more on the line.
You are not dumb. Making dumb mistakes does not make you dumb as a whole. It merely shows you are human. Everyone makes dumb mistakes, and it is useless to blame yourself if you know how to do it correctly and tried your best to. There's always next time. As to medals, you never know how placements might turn out. Maybe a different team made worse dumb mistakes and could have place higher than your team if they hadn't, but no one knows.
It's always frustrating to have a bad partner, but the best you can do is try to take on as much as you can within your limits, try your best to work with them, grit your teeth, and hope for next year.
As to JT Invite tests, I think that would be more a matter of former competitors/medalists, many from various powerhouses, writing the test than a matter of what state the invite is held in. As an aside, many of the ES's weren't many years older than you are.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible

Return to “2020 Study Events”