Reach for the Stars B

WickJohn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by WickJohn »

In my school, i want to conduct a Science Exhibition, So any one of you can suggest me which type of project I should give to my students and they can easily do it.
IHateClouds
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by IHateClouds »

anandymous wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:55 pm Are there any good sources or methods to ID stars and constellations from star charts? Or do you just have to get better at it over time?
Quizlet is pretty good, but its very time consuming. If you know the look of a constellation, its pretty easy to ID on a star chart. Rather than memorize the star location in the constellation, I just put it on my note sheet. There's not a great way to ID without putting a lot of time in it :/
astronomybuff
State: NC

Post by astronomybuff »

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could help me out with stellar spectroscopy images (the ones with the different colors and you have to match them with OBAFGKM or a star). Are there any more practice tests? Also, do we need to know advanced mathematics (Wien's law, Planck's law, blackbody radiation)?

Thanks!
Manas101
Has thanked: 0

Post by Manas101 »

What math formulas do we need to know for reach?
astronomybuff

Post by astronomybuff »

I got first at rRgionals!!!! If you want an idea of what some of the questions look like, please let me know.
Havocgamer49
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Havocgamer49 »

Nice job!!!, how many calculations were on the test, and were they harder than anything like Wien's Law or Stefan Boltzmann?
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars
astronomybuff

Post by astronomybuff »

Havocgamer49 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 3:12 pm Nice job!!!, how many calculations were on the test, and were they harder than anything like Wien's Law or Stefan Boltzmann?
I think in my area, the test makers are lazy, so, believe it or not, there were no math questions. However, we had Wien's law and Stefan Boltzmann on our sheets, so I recommend you keep it. A third of the test consisted of constellation identification, and it was harder than I thought (constellations look different on different images, so familiarize yourself with all the ways they look). There were two star charts, so instead of studying the constellations individually, I recommend you look at star charts (the lines were connected, however, so it wasn't hard to identify them). There was a page on the EM spectrum, and some of the questions were hard (In which region is Rigel the brightest, for example), but for the most part they were easy. Also, look at diverse images of stars. There was a weird picture of a white star, but we were able to identify it (search up altair star image, and look for the one that's blue and has lines over it).
IOnlyShoot3s
State: TX

Post by IOnlyShoot3s »

Manas101 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 7:39 am What math formulas do we need to know for reach?

All of the invitationals I went to except for one had questions using the distance modulus, which uses a logarithm. You could have the Luminosity, Radius, and Temperature relationship formula and should probably have knowledge about general proportionality.
SLJH - 2019-2020
JHS - 2020-Present
2021 Div C Texas State: Chem Lab 4th, Fermi Questions 7th, Circuit Lab 12th :!:
2022 Div C Texas State: Detector Building 4th 8-), Chem Lab 6th😭, Env Chem 7th🤷🏽‍♂️, WGYN 7th💔
Locoholic
State: VA

Post by Locoholic »

Manas101 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 7:39 am What math formulas do we need to know for reach?
Know the distance modulus, Wien’s law, the inverse square law (with luminosity and distance), the Stefan-Boltzmann relation, and Planck’s law (just the concept, not the formula itself). Hopefully I’m not forgetting something. All of these are outlined on the SciOly wiki page for RFTS. Also know constants like the solar constant, the Chandrasekhar limit, the TOV limit, the Eddington limit, Hubble’s Constant, etc. (those are just the ones I can think of right now)

My regional test, surprisingly, didn’t have any math. All invitationals had at least a couple math questions, though, with one of them having a full page of math. However, the meat of this event lies within DSO’s, much to the dismay of some of my teammates.

P.S. I also got first at my regionals (yesterday) so feel free to pm me for anything rfts
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
Havocgamer49

Post by Havocgamer49 »

I would also know the parallax angle, as I have gotten that at an invitational.
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

Return to “2020 Study Events”