Reach for the Stars B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Reach for the Stars B

Post by Adi1008 »

Reach for the Stars B: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the properties and evolution of stars and galaxies as well as their observation using different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum (e.g. Radio, Infrared, Visible, Ultraviolet, X-Ray and Gamma Ray).

Reach for the Stars Wiki

Reach for the Stars Test Exchange 2017

Past Threads: 2009, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017

Past Question Marathons: 2016, 2017
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Kimberly12132
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by Kimberly12132 »

How do you break up the studying for RFTS objects? All of the same type of objects such as all stars, all constellations, etc. Or do you study them as they are grouped together such as Taurus, Aldebaran, and T Tauri?
Nooran008
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Nooran008 »

Kimberly12132 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 2:49 pm How do you break up the studying for RFTS objects? All of the same type of objects such as all stars, all constellations, etc. Or do you study them as they are grouped together such as Taurus, Aldebaran, and T Tauri?
I honestly just go in order from the rules manual, starting from the first topic to the last. Of course, you need to study more from just on the rules manual, but that's how I do it
2019-2020 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Ornithology, WIDI, Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet
Team: Abington Heights Middle School
"If you doubt yourself, and your team members say you'll get a medal, you'll probably get a medal."
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Hi y'all,

Here's my Reach for the Stars test, images, and key from the recent UT Invitational! Information on how teams scored and some general musings regarding the test can be found here.

The exam materials for this event (and also Astronomy at the UT Invitational) were posted on soinc.org and can be found here. The version of the test there has a small typo on question 45(b), where the answer is mistakenly written next to the question. I expect soinc.org to have the fixed version of the test eventually, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone planning on taking the test.

As always, if you notice any errors in the key, please let me know! It’s entirely possible I made a mistake and I’m always looking to learn more. To that end, good luck studying! Hopefully this test is a good resource.
Stanford University
AkshayB
Division: C
State: NC

Post by AkshayB »

How do you guys match spectra? We have a picture on our cheat cheet that shows all the spectra lines. Once on a test there was a question asking to name these spectra and it was hard for us to match the spectra on the test to the ones on our cheat sheets. Do you count how many absorption lines there are or something?

Also do you guys have any tips on indentifying DSOS in different wavelengths. This is very hard for me as a dso in visibile light looks completely different in radio waves.

Thanks in advance,
Akshay.
blagibaba
Division: B
State: OR
Has thanked: 0

Post by blagibaba »

The rules call for carrying a RED flashlight - What is the role of the flashlight in this event?
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

blagibaba wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:25 pm The rules call for carrying a RED flashlight - What is the role of the flashlight in this event?
Occasionally, this event may be held in a dark environment, such as a planetarium, so your pupils will dilate to let in more light. A red flashlight provides light so you can see things better (like your notes), but it won't overload your eyes. If you don't have a red flashlight, I don't think it's a huge deal - I have never heard of anyone needing one in my years doing Astronomy-related events.
Stanford University
Havocgamer49
State: NC

Post by Havocgamer49 »

I have a whole page empty on my cheat sheet and I have no clue what I should add. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could go there, I need help urgently as I have a tournament on Saturday.
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars
space-egg
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by space-egg »

Havocgamer49 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:47 am I have a whole page empty on my cheat sheet and I have no clue what I should add. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could go there, I need help urgently as I have a tournament on Saturday.
I don't think you could go wrong with more pictures. If you don't have a flowchart of stellar evolution, I'd definitely add one. Also, more information on the electromagnetic spectrum is always useful.
the name's bond. covalent bond.

2019:
solar system and potions and poisons

2020 (yikes):
reach for the stars, ornithology, and meteorology

thanks for all the memories (:
anandymous
State: FL

Post by anandymous »

Are there any good sources or methods to ID stars and constellations from star charts? Or do you just have to get better at it over time?
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars

Return to “2020 Study Events”