Geologic Mapping C

lonelyBagel
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by lonelyBagel »

heyitslynn wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm Hey can anybody explain in the simplest form how to know the bed thickness and like how to calculate it. It seems hard and im trying to get a grip on it
Me too. I can't seem to find a simple explanation for it anywhere and I'm really struggling trying to understand it
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

lonelyBagel wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:38 pm
heyitslynn wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm Hey can anybody explain in the simplest form how to know the bed thickness and like how to calculate it. It seems hard and im trying to get a grip on it
Me too. I can't seem to find a simple explanation for it anywhere and I'm really struggling trying to understand it

Same principle applies regardless of what the outcrop is like, you just have to remember to get the angles right (e.g. the direction of dip). Then you just apply basic trig. Geomaps math is not that hard, it's just no one seems to try to apply anything they learned because it looks very intimidating (and also HS trig teaching is really bad). Solving the basic two/three triangle Geomaps math problems (which honestly is basically all the math problems you'll ever see) will go a long way and can be figured out in a few hours of studying.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Unome wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:58 pm ...Then you just apply basic trig. Geomaps math is not that hard, it's just no one seems to try to apply anything they learned because it looks very intimidating (and also HS trig teaching is really bad)....and can be figured out in a few hours of studying.
...to be fair, I first did geomaps when I was in 10th grade and was learning trig for the first time...found the problems tough until 12th grade (if not later)...It probably took me years to get better at trig. I definitely wouldn't call anything so basic that it's "not hard". I definitely agree it's the basics, but basics are always tricky in my opinion, deserving *thorough* study. Also, if you dip the ground surface and ask about vertical thickness (this was typical when I competed), it's at least 4 or 5 triangles:P.
So I'd like to ask: what sources have you looked at, where did you get stuck? A test or maybe some other website? Some examples can be found at https://ig.utexas.edu/students/science- ... resources/ (I think that UTIG site worked? There used to be this other site I used, but I can't quite find it...)

Edit: OMG, found it! https://stevedutch.net/index.htm (Earth SC-492 Geologic Field Methods in particular, which is naturally exactly what geomaps is about) ...I used to call it "that uwgb site", but it was def one of my essential readings for the event. All the props to Steve Dutch.

Edit2: Actually, the Crustal Movements (Structural Geology and Plate Tectonics) has a Structural Geology Methods Manual that is also of interest. The site in general is very nice:D.
Last edited by syo_astro on February 23rd, 2020, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
heyitslynn
State: DE
Has thanked: 0

Post by heyitslynn »

thanks guys so much!!
:)
Unome

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
Unome wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:58 pm ...Then you just apply basic trig. Geomaps math is not that hard, it's just no one seems to try to apply anything they learned because it looks very intimidating (and also HS trig teaching is really bad)....and can be figured out in a few hours of studying.
...to be fair, I first did geomaps when I was in 10th grade and was learning trig for the first time...found the problems tough until 12th grade (if not later)...It probably took me years to get better at trig. I definitely wouldn't call anything so basic that it's "not hard". I definitely agree it's the basics, but basics are always tricky in my opinion, deserving *thorough* study. Also, if you dip the ground surface and ask about vertical thickness (this was typical when I competed), it's at least 4 or 5 triangles:P.
So I'd like to ask: what sources have you looked at, where did you get stuck? A test or maybe some other website? Some examples can be found at https://ig.utexas.edu/students/science- ... resources/ (I think that UTIG site worked? There used to be this other site I used, but I can't quite find it...)

Edit: OMG, found it! https://stevedutch.net/index.htm (Earth SC-492 Geologic Field Methods in particular, which is naturally exactly what geomaps is about) ...I used to call it "that uwgb site", but it was def one of my essential readings for the event. All the props to Steve Dutch.
Concur that you can definitely make Geomaps problems quite hard by varying different aspects of the basic problems. That said, I still think the basic problems, in their basic forms, aren't as difficult as people think. Astro math is quite a lot harder I'd say, yet plenty of people are quite good at that. I think the difference is mostly because Geomaps doesn't have the years of buildup you guys have achieved in Astro to make teams improve.

Also yes the UWGB site is excellent.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

heyitslynn wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:16 pm thanks guys so much!!
np!
Unome wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:22 pm ...I still think the basic problems, in their basic forms, aren't as difficult as people think...
Sorry, wasn't clear, my main point was that telling students you find problems of any level to be not hard can be discouraging, especially if you're acting as "authority". Totally anecdotal, but that has turned off many friends/students I taught from math-y stuffs (though, works for anything really) since that can imply people are lazy or a million other things, while there might just be legitimate knowledge gaps, contextual confusion, etc present...

Don't wanna demonize here, but our judgement of easy/hard is unnecessary, since what's really important is what the *student* found hard. It's better to get them talking (among other methods): figure out what they found hard, then suggest spending more time on something. Not much more needed. Admittedly, I didn't get them to say what the issue was either, but...*shrug*. For astro most if not all math I use is the same level as geomaps, so...idk, not worth debating though.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 6:26 pm
heyitslynn wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:16 pm thanks guys so much!!
np!
Unome wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:22 pm ...I still think the basic problems, in their basic forms, aren't as difficult as people think...
Sorry, wasn't clear, my main point was that telling students you find problems of any level to be not hard can be discouraging, especially if you're acting as "authority". Totally anecdotal, but that has turned off many friends/students I taught from math-y stuffs (though, works for anything really) since that can imply people are lazy or a million other things, while there might just be legitimate knowledge gaps, contextual confusion, etc present...

Don't wanna demonize here, but our judgement of easy/hard is unnecessary, since what's really important is what the *student* found hard. It's better to get them talking (among other methods): figure out what they found hard, then suggest spending more time on something. Not much more needed. Admittedly, I didn't get them to say what the issue was either, but...*shrug*. For astro most if not all math I use is the same level as geomaps, so...idk, not worth debating though.
Yeah, that's fair. The disclaimer in the sig doesn't exactly cover this. 2 years out but I'm still a bit used to just being a voice among many...

Someday, maybe over the summer, I need to go and improve the Geomaps wiki page in preparation for next rotation. Maybe I can't manage what Astro has, but I'll do what I can.
Userpage

stemfam
State: MI

Post by stemfam »

Does anyone know what kind of geologic compass to get?
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

I don't even have a geologic compass, and have NEVER seen it used on a test. It's super expensive, and not fair for teams with smaller budgets.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
iShinDasani
State: FL

Post by iShinDasani »

In part b of the Geologic Mapping rules, it says that we need lithologies. Could someone explain what that is supposed to mean?
“There are approximately 1,010,300 words in the English language, but I could never string enough words together to properly explain how much I want to hit you with a chair.”
~Alexander Hamilton

Return to “2020 Study Events”