Geologic Mapping C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Geologic Mapping C

Post by Adi1008 »

Geologic Mapping C: Teams will demonstrate understanding in the construction and use of topographic maps, geologic maps, and cross sections, and their use in forming interpretations regarding subsurface structures and past depositional environments.

Geologic Mapping Wiki

Geologic Mapping Test Exchange 2019

Past Threads: 2012 (NY Trial), 2013 (NY Trial), 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Does anyone actually have a geologic compass, and has anyone actually ever used it?
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: September 21st, 2019, 5:24 pm Does anyone actually have a geologic compass, and has anyone actually ever used it?
I've never seen anything related to geologic compasses on any test, although my partner last year did get one for nats last year.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

Since the rules this year emphasize the compass for the state and national levels, I'd expect them to pull something on us at states tbh. I'll probably get one before that cause I remember walking in last year and seeing people had them and getting worried but luckily we didn't need it. Not really a needless risk I feel like taking again lol

What do you think they could have us do with it? I feel like I saw a test once which asked competitors to find the strike, dip, and direction of a bedding, but nothing else really comes to my mind in terms of past appearances.
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Giantpants wrote: September 21st, 2019, 8:54 pm Since the rules this year emphasize the compass for the state and national levels, I'd expect them to pull something on us at states tbh. I'll probably get one before that cause I remember walking in last year and seeing people had them and getting worried but luckily we didn't need it. Not really a needless risk I feel like taking again lol

What do you think they could have us do with it? I feel like I saw a test once which asked competitors to find the strike, dip, and direction of a bedding, but nothing else really comes to my mind in terms of past appearances.
I wouldn't expect to see it outside of possibly Nationals (and definitely not guaranteed, it wasn't there last year).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

For rule 3.g it says "Changes in depositional environment over time and space (Transgression, regressions, uplift. etc)" Does anybody know anything that I could look at to find out what the etc's included might be?
washedupsenior
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by washedupsenior »

hey y'all i know geomapping can be pretty difficult, i had to do it last year
that being said, here's my binder from last year; maybe some of this can help, i know the subject areas changed a little

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iN4 ... 4ywlbhgae2

good luck to y'all this year
Nightlly
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nightlly »

Can someone explain to me how a stereonet works? I've been looking at a couple different resources so far, but nothing makes sense,,
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

Nightlly wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm Can someone explain to me how a stereonet works? I've been looking at a couple different resources so far, but nothing makes sense,,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they removed stereonets from the rules this year.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

hippo9 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Nightlly wrote: October 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm Can someone explain to me how a stereonet works? I've been looking at a couple different resources so far, but nothing makes sense,,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they removed stereonets from the rules this year.
They did remove its own section, but it still counts as a map projection so stereonet analysis is probably fair game. Thankfully, drawing a stereonet is *probably* not.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written

Return to “2020 Study Events”