SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by SilverBreeze »

Umaroth wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:04 pm
adarsh wrote: January 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm I'm sorry for asking the same question again, but I want to know where to study for the "downloaded dataset of oxygen to identify water masses and pathways of circulation"
The "Representative Tasks" section is just a list of examples of good problems they can give you on a test. That does not mean they are part of the official rules. If a question like that were to show up on a test, the best way to prepare would be to simply have a good understanding of the concepts that are required for the question rather than going out and memorizing a ton of random facts.
You don't want to study for that question in particular. The point of putting that type of question as an example is to show that not only should you be able to answer a simple definition question, but you should also understand underlying concepts and be able to apply them and use critical thinking.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Disregard this post.
Last edited by BennyTheJett on January 17th, 2020, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
aeurius
Division: B
State: MS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Waves

Post by aeurius »

Waves is so confusing?? Im not sure what they are asking for?? Like all of them except tsunami and swell are difficult:
What is the difference between surf and swell?? (This is probably a dumb question, but i would appreciate it if someone cleared some things up for me!! :') ))
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Okay, so here's what I understand:

Swell waves are the standard sea waves, which are produced by fetch (I assume you understand fetch), while surf waves are waves being acted upon by the bottom that aren't tsunamis. I believe that surf waves are called surf waves because of surfers xD (@Hawaiians correct me if I'm wrong). There are I believe 2 main types of surf waves: Plungers and spillers.

*Disclaimer that I am just pulling this out of my memory so it could be completely wrong.*
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
aeurius

Post by aeurius »

BennyTheJett wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm Okay, so here's what I understand:

Swell waves are the standard sea waves, which are produced by fetch (I assume you understand fetch), while surf waves are waves being acted upon by the bottom that aren't tsunamis. I believe that surf waves are called surf waves because of surfers xD (@Hawaiians correct me if I'm wrong). There are I believe 2 main types of surf waves: Plungers and spillers.

*Disclaimer that I am just pulling this out of my memory so it could be completely wrong.*
Even if it may be wrong it really helps! :0000
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by AlfWeg »

BennyTheJett wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm There are I believe 2 main types of surf waves: Plungers and spillers.
Not gonna say I know that much about this either, but do u mean breaking waves? Then I would add surging waves to plunging and spilling
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
SciolyMaster
Division: C
State: MO

Post by SciolyMaster »

AlfWeg wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm There are I believe 2 main types of surf waves: Plungers and spillers.
Not gonna say I know that much about this either, but do u mean breaking waves? Then I would add surging waves to plunging and spilling
Don't forget collapsing breakers, which according the Wiki "are a cross between plunging and surging" breakers.
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, Astro
Past Events: WaterQual, Ping Pong, Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"
adarsh

Post by adarsh »

Where do you guys study for sensible and latent heat fluxes? Having trouble finding a place with a lot of information.
aeurius

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Water Masses

Post by aeurius »

How much do we need to know on the different water masses?, i have a list of all of them and some info on the main three, but im honestly so confused :shock:

Return to “2020 Study Events”