Astronomy C

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Astronomy C

Post by PM2017 » November 18th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Unome wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Waterpigcow wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Is it a worthwhile investment to write programs on my ti-84/laptop to quickly solve math sections? my astronomy team does decent at dso questions and stellar evolution/conceptual stuff but we struggle with the math every year. I figure using the formula sheet on the wiki i could write a bunch of programs to solve for that stuff. would it be better if we actually learned the math or would a couple programs be enough? I'm pretty sure i could write the programs in less time to learn the math as well and since everyone on the team is busy i feel like it'd be a more efficient use of time.
It's more important to know how they work. After that, I would say go ahead and write a program.
We tried as well but unless you make something like Wolfram you'll get in trouble when the test tells you to show your work.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

User avatar
TheMysteriousMapMan
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan » November 19th, 2019, 11:00 am

PM2017 wrote:
Unome wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Waterpigcow wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Is it a worthwhile investment to write programs on my ti-84/laptop to quickly solve math sections? my astronomy team does decent at dso questions and stellar evolution/conceptual stuff but we struggle with the math every year. I figure using the formula sheet on the wiki i could write a bunch of programs to solve for that stuff. would it be better if we actually learned the math or would a couple programs be enough? I'm pretty sure i could write the programs in less time to learn the math as well and since everyone on the team is busy i feel like it'd be a more efficient use of time.
It's more important to know how they work. After that, I would say go ahead and write a program.
We tried as well but unless you make something like Wolfram you'll get in trouble when the test tells you to show your work.
I would still make a program, if not to check my work, so that way, if I get something wrong in my work, I can still say "Ta-da" and get the correct answer for more partial credit than if you got the wrong answer entirely. Of course, it may not be worth it for time-save at that point.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.


kalimarieyork
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: November 16th, 2019, 9:48 am
Division: C
State: UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by kalimarieyork » November 25th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Anyone have any good tests for this season yet?

kalimarieyork
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: November 16th, 2019, 9:48 am
Division: C
State: UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by kalimarieyork » November 26th, 2019, 12:57 pm

What is the best way to understand dark matter/energy?

User avatar
Blank25
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: February 3rd, 2019, 7:34 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: WNHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Blank25 » November 26th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I can't decide how to organize my info. Should I use two three-ring binders, a binder and a computer, or just two computers?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P High School North
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Astronomy C

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » November 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm

2 computers is objectively the best
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

User avatar
TheMysteriousMapMan
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan » November 26th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Blank25 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 2:25 pm
I can't decide how to organize my info. Should I use two three-ring binders, a binder and a computer, or just two computers?
LiteralRhinoceros wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
2 computers is objectively the best
Subjectively, however, I prefer one of each – putting DSOs in a binder makes it much more comfortable to flip through and identify, at least for me – but you might find a different workflow that works better for you. Having a bunch of raw numbers and data in a computer can be useful in a crunch, though.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.


jxxu20
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by jxxu20 » December 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

Hi guys! I can't seem to find any detailed info on the three quasars (DSO section) ... apparently, they were discovered quite recently. If anyone knows any resources for this section, please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Astronomy C

Post by PM2017 » December 3rd, 2019, 12:34 am

Does anyone know how astronomers find the inclination of binary star orbits (other than using apparent elliptical motion and assuming 0 eccentricity)?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

User avatar
TheMysteriousMapMan
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan » December 3rd, 2019, 10:43 am

jxxu20 wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm
Hi guys! I can't seem to find any detailed info on the three quasars (DSO section) ... apparently, they were discovered quite recently. If anyone knows any resources for this section, please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
The Chandra site contains somewhat of a good writeup, and the Chandra Astronomy webinar, as always, has fairly good info. Other than that, I haven't really been able to find much good info either.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.


Locked

Return to “2020 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests