Designer Genes C

Shibo
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Practice Test for 2020?

Post by Shibo »

Hey guys, I'm new here but I am in need of some assistance. I've been in search for a practice test that would be the best for this year, alongside good resources for Designer genes on DNA and Genes. I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum, but I have not seen any category for Designer Genes this year and am in desperate need of a reliable practice test, notes, or sources. Thank you! :)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Best Practice Test for 2020?

Post by bernard »

Shibo wrote: March 5th, 2020, 4:40 pm Hey guys, I'm new here but I am in need of some assistance. I've been in search for a practice test that would be the best for this year, alongside good resources for Designer genes on DNA and Genes. I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum, but I have not seen any category for Designer Genes this year and am in desperate need of a reliable practice test, notes, or sources. Thank you! :)
We have a number of new Designer Genes tests available at our Test Exchange.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Shibo
State: MI

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by Shibo »

Ah, thank you! Do you perhaps have any recommendations on how I should go about with notes?
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Shibo wrote: March 5th, 2020, 5:15 pm Ah, thank you! Do you perhaps have any recommendations on how I should go about with notes?
Do a lot of studying. Campbell Biology (chapters 12-21) is pretty instrumental for a lot of people - there's a lot of variations on the book, but I've found that most of them are pretty similar in those sections. Write a lot of things down, too - things you don't understand, things you want to remember, questions you have, etc. Campbell Biology should get you through regionals, at the very least. There are also a lot of online resources if you need a more basic understanding before diving in to Campbell's - Bioninja and Bioknowledgy are some of my favorites since I'm a biased IB Bio kid. Topics 3, 7, and 10 will be the most useful to you, with 7 and 10 providing further learning on topic 3.

If you take notes on things you read, you can use and organize those notes into a notesheet. It'll probably take a while if you don't know what you're doing, but it's a really rewarding process. The wiki is also a pretty good resource (in my humble opinion ;) ) and can take you through some topics, especially if you're having a hard time understanding them.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

I’m going into division C next year and I definitely want to do Designer Genes. This is a bit of an awkward question, but I have to ask it.

Heredity is sort of like a “joke event” in division B because it’s basically just 7th grade biology. Of course, it’s still competitive because everyone’s good at it, but most of the tests I’ve taken have only been hard because I ran out of time. I was wondering if Designer Genes was similar in that it’s considered an “easy” event.
Thanks!
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

EwwPhysics wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:59 am I’m going into division C next year and I definitely want to do Designer Genes. This is a bit of an awkward question, but I have to ask it.

Heredity is sort of like a “joke event” in division B because it’s basically just 7th grade biology. Of course, it’s still competitive because everyone’s good at it, but most of the tests I’ve taken have only been hard because I ran out of time. I was wondering if Designer Genes was similar in that it’s considered an “easy” event.
Thanks!
TL;DR: It depends. While there are definitely a lot of simplistic questions that can be easily answered by that seventh grade biology knowledge, as you get into higher level tests questions can get relatively difficult and discuss a lot of topics that even high school level biology classes don't discuss. However, just like most events, it depends on who the proctor is and how much they expect you to know. While the exam author for regionals here was very detailed and thorough, the states test last year was very easy in comparison.

One thing that makes Designer Genes easier is the availability of resources. Since it is rooted in those basic biology concepts, it's relatively easy to get started in regardless of your background knowledge in genetics. The same can't be said for a lot of study events, which often cover a massive amount of information and can be overwhelming at times. Despite this, Designer Genes is not one to be underestimated. Some tests can be very difficult, but it all depends on the level you're at and what is expected of you. Regional tests will seem a lot more like middle school bio than national tests.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
EwwPhysics (March 15th, 2020, 4:42 am)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
dankdecidueye

Post by dankdecidueye »

Besides Campbell biology, is there any other good textbook that goes in depth for topics that are in this event?
lmccauley
State: ND

Post by lmccauley »

The best way my partner and I found for test-taking was to use a cheat sheet we were allowed to have from a previous year our school competed and looking over it beforehand. Reading up on even basic genetics before you are scheduled to test is also very helpful to have it fresh in your mind.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

lmccauley wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am The best way my partner and I found for test-taking was to use a cheat sheet we were allowed to have from a previous year our school competed and looking over it beforehand. Reading up on even basic genetics before you are scheduled to test is also very helpful to have it fresh in your mind.
Hmmm I always find it better to make my own cheat sheet, since no matter how much you study it if you're using an old one, it'll never be as familiar as if you make your own.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
astronomybuff
State: NC

Post by astronomybuff »

Hey,
I'm a rising freshman, and one of the events I will be trying out for is definitely designer genes. I plan to study for this event and astronomy over the summer. For this event, is reading the appropriate chapters of Campbell biology and taking some practice tests enough to make the JV team (my school's kinda smart, so almost no one makes varsity in 9th)? Of course, if I make it, I will do more in depth studying, but is what I said above enough to just make my school JV team?

Return to “2020 Study Events”