Designer Genes C

jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by jaspattack »

eagerlearner102 wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 5:30 pm Do any of you guys have suggestions on how to study Designer Genes? I read the handouts and powerpoints but I quickly forget what the word means. I am not retaining the information.
Personally, I really like outlining and taking notes from textbooks. Just reading over what you need to know isn't going to make the information stick in your brain, and you can add things from your notes to a cheat sheet later on. Taking practice tests (almost like a pre-test) to know what you need to study is another useful tool. Make notes to yourself as you go, and see what you're really struggling with as opposed to what you're just unsure about. Ultimately, think about how you study for a test in class! If flash cards help you, make a Quizlet or something similar. If you need to study with someone, then meet up with your partner (which is something you should do frequently anyway). If you have access to teachers with experience in biology, you can always ask them for help too. If you have an area college, you can reach out to a professor and see if they'd be able to study with you as well.

TL;DR: Do what works for you. Plus - Google is your best friend. If you don't know what a word means, look it up and write down the definition.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
eagerlearner102
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Thanks. I think handouts don't work for me because all the information is summarized.
Textbooks are better.
I think I would do flashcards for very memory based info like the types of genetic diseases or vocabulary.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
jlamslam
State: IL

Post by jlamslam »

are there any changes to the rules this year from last year?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

jlamslam wrote: October 27th, 2019, 4:31 pm are there any changes to the rules this year from last year?
A few topics that were nationals-only last year have been moved into regionals and states topic, like "pedigree construction and analysis" and "trihybrid crosses." Otherwise, it looks like the same topics, but I haven't read the designer genes rules too closely.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
eagerlearner102

Also, does designer genes test reproductive technologies under biotech? This is my first year doing designer genes.
eagerlearner102

How do you guys memorize everything from genetics? I read a genetics textbook and I forgot most of what I read.
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

eagerlearner102 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 8:42 pm How do you guys memorize everything from genetics? I read a genetics textbook and I forgot most of what I read.
Take notes. In addition to the 8.5 in×11 in sheet of the notes that you get, make a separate notebook filled with just your general notes. This will let you review the material later on.

Moreover, since you're doing this for SciOly and not a class, remember that it's completely okay if you want to slow down and muse over the ideas in your head. Meaningful is memorable. If something really surprises you ("whoa! I didn't know a gene could parasitize other genes in the same person!"), think about writing it down in a way that you could explain the topic to a friend. If something doesn't make sense, jot down a reminder to look it up later. The thing is, if a topic doesn't mean much to you when reading, it won't mean much to you at a competition. So, the more time you spend thinking about the meaning of the content, the more readily it will remain in your mind.

One final thing I'll say is that I see you're around a lot on the forums. If you love doing SciOly, why not write a test for designer genes? It'll help jog your memory; you'll know what test writers are looking for by doing it yourself; and plus, if you make test questions about topics in genetics you're truly interested in, you can share your love for genetics vicariously through everybody who takes your test :)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
jaspattack

Post by jaspattack »

Are different varieties of DNA polymerase tested on at higher levels? I have some info on my note sheet, but am wondering if it's really necessary.

Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

jaspattack wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:09 pm Are different varieties of DNA polymerase tested on at higher levels? I have some info on my note sheet, but am wondering if it's really necessary.
I would probably just differentiate between DNA polymerases I and III and how they work in DNA synthesis.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
jaspattack

Post by jaspattack »

Tailsfan101 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:04 am
jaspattack wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:09 pm Are different varieties of DNA polymerase tested on at higher levels? I have some info on my note sheet, but am wondering if it's really necessary.
I would probably just differentiate between DNA polymerases I and III and how they work in DNA synthesis.
That's what I have, so nice! Thanks :D

Return to “2020 Study Events”