Designer Genes C

Reema.panini
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by Reema.panini »

Does anyone know what I should study for the topic “Molecular Consequences of Mutations”? This is my first time on this event and I just got put into it literally two days ago with no prior notes or help. My competition is right after the end of break so I’m kindaaa freaking out right now. Thanks!
Who are we to wonder where we’re going?
Who am I to tell me who I am?
~ Netflix Trip, AJR
jlamslam
State: IL

Post by jlamslam »

Reema.panini wrote: Does anyone know what I should study for the topic “Molecular Consequences of Mutations”? This is my first time on this event and I just got put into it literally two days ago with no prior notes or help. My competition is right after the end of break so I’m kindaaa freaking out right now. Thanks!

I believe they are referring to point mutations and their consequences on amino acid sequences. However, this may also apply to larger scale mutations such as translocations and inversions of chromosomes, and their effects.
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

I was thinking of DNA repair as mutations too.
Other mutations may include expanding repeats, CNVs, pseudogenes and transposons.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
eagerlearner102

gz839918 wrote: December 7th, 2019, 5:29 pm
eagerlearner102 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 8:42 pm How do you guys memorize everything from genetics? I read a genetics textbook and I forgot most of what I read.
Take notes. In addition to the 8.5 in×11 in sheet of the notes that you get, make a separate notebook filled with just your general notes. This will let you review the material later on.

Moreover, since you're doing this for SciOly and not a class, remember that it's completely okay if you want to slow down and muse over the ideas in your head. Meaningful is memorable. If something really surprises you ("whoa! I didn't know a gene could parasitize other genes in the same person!"), think about writing it down in a way that you could explain the topic to a friend. If something doesn't make sense, jot down a reminder to look it up later. The thing is, if a topic doesn't mean much to you when reading, it won't mean much to you at a competition. So, the more time you spend thinking about the meaning of the content, the more readily it will remain in your mind.

One final thing I'll say is that I see you're around a lot on the forums. If you love doing SciOly, why not write a test for designer genes? It'll help jog your memory; you'll know what test writers are looking for by doing it yourself; and plus, if you make test questions about topics in genetics you're truly interested in, you can share your love for genetics vicariously through everybody who takes your test :)
Thank you for the online support! Unfortunately I am not spending a lot of time on Scioly.
I found this good textbook website that has flashcards and online tests so that is helping me. I will consider your advice too!
Reema.panini
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Reema.panini »

eagerlearner102 wrote: December 27th, 2019, 6:09 pm I was thinking of DNA repair as mutations too.
Other mutations may include expanding repeats, CNVs, pseudogenes and transposons.
where did u find the materials to learn about these mutations? i’m looking thru the scioly wiki and my school’s resources but i’m not finding anything useful or informative
Who are we to wonder where we’re going?
Who am I to tell me who I am?
~ Netflix Trip, AJR
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Hi, I'm in division B, but I checked the rules and noticed that we have the same topics as division C except u guys have more than us. So umm in the rules it says we have to learn protein relationship, transcription, translation, etc. So is it advisable to put the codon chart in my cheatsheet? Or is there a possibility that they will give us this diagram in the test?

i have attached the diagram I'm planning to use below:
https://www.google.com/search?q=codon+c ... 4EBb6aDKM:

I'm not sure if I worded my question rt, if I made it confusing then I'm sorry in advance..

*Also I asked on this chat bc I haven't gotten a response in the Division B chat since its less active.
donutsandcupcakes

Sorry but another question, I was doing a practice test and I cam accross this question:
22. In guinea pigs, black hair (B) is dominant over white hair (b). Short hair (L) is dominant over long hair
(l). If you breed a heterozygous black, short-hair male with a heterozygous white, short-hair female, how
many of the offspring are:
a. Black short-hair? ____________
b. Black long-hair? ____________
c. White short-hair? ___________
d. White long-hair? ____________

For my answer I got :
a. Black short-hair? 3/8
b. Black long-hair? 1/8
c. White short-hair?1/8
d. White long-hair?3/8

But the answer key says the answer is
a. 3/8
b. 1/8
c.1/8
d. 1/8
Can someone pls explain why d would be 1/8 and not 3/8.
Thanks.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 8:52 am Sorry but another question, I was doing a practice test and I cam accross this question:
22. In guinea pigs, black hair (B) is dominant over white hair (b). Short hair (L) is dominant over long hair
(l). If you breed a heterozygous black, short-hair male with a heterozygous white, short-hair female, how

For my answer I got :
a. Black short-hair? 3/8
b. Black long-hair? 1/8
c. White short-hair?1/8
d. White long-hair?3/8

a. 3/8
b. 1/8
c.1/8
d. 1/8
Thanks.
I'd like to point out that the question says "heterozygous black" and "heterozygous white" in the cross. As it says "black hair is dominant over white hair", an individual with white hair must be homozygous recessive, therefore "heterozygous white" is incorrect.
donutsandcupcakes wrote: Hi, I'm in division B, but I checked the rules and noticed that we have the same topics as division C except u guys have more than us. So umm in the rules it says we have to learn protein relationship, transcription, translation, etc. So is it advisable to put the codon chart in my cheatsheet? Or is there a possibility that they will give us this diagram in the test?

I'm not sure if I worded my question rt, if I made it confusing then I'm sorry in advance..

*Also I asked on this chat bc I haven't gotten a response in the Division B chat since its less active.
You should definitely include the codon chart on your cheat sheet. Most tests you encounter will probably include it, especially in Division B, but in the event that they don't, it is good to come prepared.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
donutsandcupcakes

Tailsfan101 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 10:34 am
donutsandcupcakes wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 8:52 am Sorry but another question, I was doing a practice test and I cam accross this question:

For my answer I got :
a. Black short-hair? 3/8
b. Black long-hair? 1/8
c. White short-hair?1/8
d. White long-hair?3/8

a. 3/8
b. 1/8
c.1/8
d. 1/8
Thanks.
I'd like to point out that the question says "heterozygous black" and "heterozygous white" in the cross. As it says "black hair is dominant over white hair", an individual with white hair must be homozygous recessive, therefore "heterozygous white" is incorrect.
donutsandcupcakes wrote: Hi, I'm in division B, but I checked the rules and noticed that we have the same topics as division C except u guys have more than us. So umm in the rules it says we have to learn protein relationship, transcription, translation, etc. So is it advisable to put the codon chart in my cheatsheet? Or is there a possibility that they will give us this diagram in the test?

You should definitely include the codon chart on your cheat sheet. Most tests you encounter will probably include it, especially in Division B, but in the event that they don't, it is good to come prepared.
Thank you for clearing my confusion, and for the white coat problem I got confused because its not possible for it to have heterozygous white, but while solving the problem I just pretended that it was homozygous white, maybe that's why my answer doesn't match the answer key.
eagerlearner102

Reema.panini wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 4:16 pm Does anyone know what I should study for the topic “Molecular Consequences of Mutations”? This is my first time on this event and I just got put into it literally two days ago with no prior notes or help. My competition is right after the end of break so I’m kindaaa freaking out right now. Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. I only check this once a week.
I used a genetics textbook because it gives me a structured curriculum.
Here is the textbook website. You don't have to make the flashcards. There are practice tests to take but it is based on the textbook so you might be confused.

This is Ricki Lewis:
http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0 ... index.html

Also I would just use Utah Genetics or Genome.gov for clarification.

Return to “2020 Study Events”