Heredity B

donutsandcupcakes

Re: Heredity B

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Can someone pls share what the test will mainly be on. For example, do u think it will be mainly solving genetic questions (pedigree etc.) or if it will be about vocab and DNA replication?

Pls advice
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: December 31st, 2019, 9:04 am Can someone pls share what the test will mainly be on. For example, do u think it will be mainly solving genetic questions (pedigree etc.) or if it will be about vocab and DNA replication?

Pls advice
Pretty much just study all the topics in the rules because you don't know what will be in the test until it happens (diffrent test writers could focus on different things)
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
donutsandcupcakes

LittleMissNyan wrote: December 31st, 2019, 4:43 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote: December 31st, 2019, 9:04 am Can someone pls share what the test will mainly be on. For example, do u think it will be mainly solving genetic questions (pedigree etc.) or if it will be about vocab and DNA replication?

Pls advice
Pretty much just study all the topics in the rules because you don't know what will be in the test until it happens (diffrent test writers could focus on different things)
Oh ok Ty.
donutsandcupcakes

One more question. In the rules it says we have to study protein relationships, transcription, and translation. So is it advisable to put the below diagram in my cheatsheet?
https://www.google.com/search?q=codon+c ... 4EBb6aDKM:
or is there a possibility that they will give us this diagram in the test?
Phenakism
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phenakism »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: January 1st, 2020, 12:06 pm One more question. In the rules it says we have to study protein relationships, transcription, and translation. So is it advisable to put the below diagram in my cheatsheet?
From my experience, most tests don't include a codon chart, but still ask questions needing it, so you should probably put it on your cheatsheet. With the very few tests I've seen with codon charts, it wouldn't be worth risking just for a bit of extra space.
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
donutsandcupcakes

Phenakism wrote: January 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm
donutsandcupcakes wrote: January 1st, 2020, 12:06 pm One more question. In the rules it says we have to study protein relationships, transcription, and translation. So is it advisable to put the below diagram in my cheatsheet?
From my experience, most tests don't include a codon chart, but still ask questions needing it, so you should probably put it on your cheatsheet. With the very few tests I've seen with codon charts, it wouldn't be worth risking just for a bit of extra space.
True, I'm planning to put the codon chart just in case. Thanks for the advice:)
RitikaKK
Has thanked: 0

Post by RitikaKK »

We once again encountered a question that we didn't agree with the answer key for.
The question asks how many chromosome pairs are given above after giving a karyotype of a male with trisomy 18. We think the answer should be 23 pairs of chromosomes, but the answer key says 22 pairs of chromosomes.
Please let me know what you think the answer is, along with an explanation as to why it would be that answer.
donutsandcupcakes

RitikaKK wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:53 am We once again encountered a question that we didn't agree with the answer key for.
The question asks how many chromosome pairs are given above after giving a karyotype of a male with trisomy 18. We think the answer should be 23 pairs of chromosomes, but the answer key says 22 pairs of chromosomes.
Please let me know what you think the answer is, along with an explanation as to why it would be that answer.
For my invitationals, they had that question too (wonder if we went to the same invitationals :?: ) Well so me and my partner thought it was 23 pairs, but they said 22 pairs in answer key(we got that question wrong :( ) so I'm guessing that when they said pairs they meant groups of 2 (and since the trisomy isnt a group of 2, they didnt count it). I'm not sure to be honest..
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

So this has been a kinda theme now?? Both invitationals we've been to have had pretty easy Heredity tests (blew through the last one in 15 minutes! difference between first and last place was only 9 points) and I'm kinda worried about what will happen at Regionals. What would be considered a 'good' Heredity test? What kinds of questions would we have to look out for?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
bp31000
Division: C
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

RitikaKK wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:53 am We once again encountered a question that we didn't agree with the answer key for.
they will be right if the question said how many pairs of AUTOSOMES, or if the picture did not show sex chromosomes.
In trisomy 18 (or any trisomies) there is only one extra chromosome, not an extra pair. so, it is 22 pairs of autosomes plus and extra chromosome number 18, along with a pair of sex chromosomes.
they would be wrong if they did not specify autosome.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:

Return to “2020 Study Events”