Heredity B

TikaKK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B

Post by TikaKK »

We were going through a test in class and came across a question that everyone got wrong. We don't agree with the answer key but wanted to know if anyone understands why the answer could possibly be that. If you know why or also disagree with the answer key please share your opinion.

The question is:
Given this mRNA code and the above chart, what amino acid sequence will be produced. For the diagram use the amino acid coding chart.
GGTUAAUGGUGAAGUCACCCCCCUGUGAACAAAUC

The answer key says the answer is supposed to be:
Meth, Val, Lys, Cys, Thr, Pro, Leu, Stop

We got:
Pro, Ile, Thr, Thr, Ser, Arg, Gly, Gly, Thr, Leu, Val, Stop
Kraken
State: OH

Post by Kraken »

TikaKK wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:37 am We were going through a test in class and came across a question that everyone got wrong. We don't agree with the answer key but wanted to know if anyone understands why the answer could possibly be that. If you know why or also disagree with the answer key please share your opinion.

The question is:
Given this mRNA code and the above chart, what amino acid sequence will be produced. For the diagram use the amino acid coding chart.
GGTUAAUGGUGAAGUCACCCCCCUGUGAACAAAUC

The answer key says the answer is supposed to be:
Meth, Val, Lys, Cys, Thr, Pro, Leu, Stop

We got:
Pro, Ile, Thr, Thr, Ser, Arg, Gly, Gly, Thr, Leu, Val, Stop
Remember that AUG (bolded above) is the codon that initiates translation, so the protein would start with Methionine and move on until the stop codon.
TikaKK

Post by TikaKK »

Thank You!
Phenakism
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Phenakism »

How much do we have to know about protein synthesis for this event?
COMPS (Mira Loma, Christensen, Regs, States [nvm]):
Mission Possible 4-8-1 (send golf balls pls)
Game On 8-1-1
Heredity 4-2-2

Current ~ Mission Possible, Heredity, Game On
Send golf balls
reninkidney
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by reninkidney »

What are some common tiebreakers for this event? Are most tiebreakers time or some questions?
2021 Events: A&P, Heredity, XPD
bp31000
Division: C
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

nnori19 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 10:14 am Hey does anyone know what some good online resources are, for heredity?
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
reninkidney

Post by reninkidney »

So, my partner and I were taking a test, and we came across this question:

37. Suppose the trait of dimples runs in a family line. John, a male with dimples marries Mary, a female
that’s younger than John and has no dimples. Both heterozygotes, that have 4 children, (listed youngest to
oldest), Lucy, an unaffected female; Andy, a male with dimples; Jordan, an unaffected male; and
Veronica, a female with no dimples. The 2nd oldest out of the 4 siblings marries a younger, unaffected
female, and has 3 daughters, the youngest with dimples. The youngest out of the 4 siblings marries a
younger male called Jake, who doesn’t know whether or not he has dimples. Jake's parents, listed from
birth date, are Jeff, with no dimples, and Amy, with dimples. Jake and the youngest of the 4 siblings have
3 unaffected children, the oldest and youngest are sons, and the middle being a daughter.

a. Construct a pedigree for this situation.
b. What type of inheritance is shown?

We were confused when we saw this question because, in the question, it states that John and Mary are both heterozygotes, but John has dimples and Mary doesn't. That didn't make much sense to us. We assumed that John was affected and Mary wasn't, and we drew the pedigree. Looking at the pedigree that we drew, it looked like it was autosomal recessive (equal amounts of girls & boys affected and skips generations), but the key said it was autosomal dominant. When we looked at the key, we noticed that Jordan was marked as affected in the pedigree while in the problem, he was described as being unaffected.

Can anybody please explain what we had done wrong?
Mr.Epithelium
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

reninkidney wrote: December 26th, 2019, 6:24 pm So, my partner and I were taking a test, and we came across this question:

37. Suppose the trait of dimples runs in a family line. John, a male with dimples marries Mary, a female
that’s younger than John and has no dimples. Both heterozygotes, that have 4 children, (listed youngest to
oldest), Lucy, an unaffected female; Andy, a male with dimples; Jordan, an unaffected male; and
Veronica, a female with no dimples. The 2nd oldest out of the 4 siblings marries a younger, unaffected
female, and has 3 daughters, the youngest with dimples. The youngest out of the 4 siblings marries a
younger male called Jake, who doesn’t know whether or not he has dimples. Jake's parents, listed from
birth date, are Jeff, with no dimples, and Amy, with dimples. Jake and the youngest of the 4 siblings have
3 unaffected children, the oldest and youngest are sons, and the middle being a daughter.

We were confused when we saw this question because, in the question, it states that John and Mary are both heterozygotes, but John has dimples and Mary doesn't. That didn't make much sense to us. We assumed that John was affected and Mary wasn't, and we drew the pedigree. Looking at the pedigree that we drew, it looked like it was autosomal recessive (equal amounts of girls & boys affected and skips generations), but the key said it was autosomal dominant. When we looked at the key, we noticed that Jordan was marked as affected in the pedigree while in the problem, he was described as being unaffected.

Don't worry! You were right in constructing the pedigree. The pedigree described in the test and key do not match up, and many people's genotypes are ambiguous. I definitely made mistakes when writing this question and the key, and I apologize if this caused any confusion :o .

Thanks for catching that mistake, I always post errata (and other tests) on my wiki page: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Mr.Epithelium
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
reninkidney

Post by reninkidney »

Mr.Epithelium wrote: December 26th, 2019, 8:08 pm
reninkidney wrote: December 26th, 2019, 6:24 pm So, my partner and I were taking a test, and we came across this question:

Don't worry! You were right in constructing the pedigree. The pedigree described in the test and key do not match up, and many people's genotypes are ambiguous. I definitely made mistakes when writing this question and the key, and I apologize if this caused any confusion :o .

Thanks for catching that mistake, I always post errata (and other tests) on my wiki page: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Mr.Epithelium
No problem. Thanks for taking the time to go back and check!
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Phenakism wrote: November 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm How much do we have to know about protein synthesis for this event?
same question here..

Return to “2020 Study Events”