Ornithology B/C

ChimpLopez
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by ChimpLopez »

Does anyone know the likelihood of the bird list changing by much next year. I know they usually tweak the list a little bit, but since they are replaying 2020 rules does that mean the same exact list?
I also go by Chino.
2017-2018 Events: Herpetology, Ecology
2018-2019 Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping
2019-2020 Events: Ornithology, Fossils, Protein Modeling
Red Sweatshirt Guy (RSG) 8-)
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

ChimpLopez wrote: March 12th, 2020, 2:08 pm Does anyone know the likelihood of the bird list changing by much next year. I know they usually tweak the list a little bit, but since they are replaying 2020 rules does that mean the same exact list?
I think same. My own interpretation of the statement is that NSO will be fixing things like the mess that is Detector rules and maybe fixing taxonomical/spelling errors on lists, etc.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Chiweenie
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chiweenie »

For a person just starting out in ornithology, would wikipedia be a good source to get all the details?
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

Chiweenie wrote: March 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm For a person just starting out in ornithology, would wikipedia be a good source to get all the details?
Yes, or at least for some details. I wouldn't rely on WP for everything, but for starting out, it's not a bad source.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Chiweenie wrote: March 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm For a person just starting out in ornithology, would wikipedia be a good source to get all the details?
All About Birds and Audubon aren't bad sources either. Note that many low-effort tests (less prestigious invitationals) will pull data straight from these sources word for word on their tests.
While Wikipedia is used in these, All About Birds is used more often, so be wary of that.
These users thanked the author JoeyC for the post:
pepperonipi (March 21st, 2020, 8:21 pm)
llxlexillx
State: ND
Been thanked: 0

Post by llxlexillx »

There was a question on the test this year regarding a species identified as "black bird" but the answers listed were not in the 2020 Bird list anywhere.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

llxlexillx wrote: March 27th, 2020, 8:53 am There was a question on the test this year regarding a species identified as "black bird" but the answers listed were not in the 2020 Bird list anywhere.
There are yellow-headed/red-winged blackbirds as well as other blackbirds species without "blackbird" in the name, but if the answer key name was not part of the Bird List, the test was probably written off-spec. You likely won't see it come up on future tests unless they are by the same writer.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Nooran008
Division: B

Post by Nooran008 »

So I'm going to assume I won't have to spend thousands of hours making a new orni binder this year, correct?
2019-2020 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Ornithology, WIDI, Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet
Team: Abington Heights Middle School
"If you doubt yourself, and your team members say you'll get a medal, you'll probably get a medal."
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Probably (hopefully)
Nooran008
Division: B

Post by Nooran008 »

JoeyC wrote: March 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm Probably (hopefully)
*sighs in relief* I would not like those terrible memories again *shudders*
2019-2020 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Ornithology, WIDI, Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet
Team: Abington Heights Middle School
"If you doubt yourself, and your team members say you'll get a medal, you'll probably get a medal."

Return to “2020 Study Events”