Water Quality B/C

snowyowl
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by snowyowl »

Especially in a study event such as this one, retaining the same rules provides a major advantage to competitors who have already participated in this event. If the event rotation is not to be changed, at least some minor details (such as the marine species that we must know) should be in some way modified.
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Yeah. I kind of like (as bad as this sounds) the backlash, because maybe national science olympiad will actually change this. I personally think it's ridiculous that they are keeping the same events in next year, and I strongly disagree with that decision.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

BennyTheJett wrote: March 12th, 2020, 12:32 pm Yeah. I kind of like (as bad as this sounds) the backlash, because maybe national science olympiad will actually change this. I personally think it's ridiculous that they are keeping the same events in next year, and I strongly disagree with that decision.
I agree with that sentiment. NSO limits organisms, etc. so that we have a reasonable idea of what to cover and proctors don't just constantly throw random trivia at us. This works out well for a single season, giving us enough time to cover everything with a reasonable degree of thoroughness, but another year of this feels a bit like beating a dead horse.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
lmccauley
State: ND
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lmccauley »

I was thrown into this event last second at my competition. What worked best for all of you when making your cheat sheets for future ideas?
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I just added stuff on all the organisms, and tried to have notes on most of the things on the rule sheets that I didn't know off the top of my head. I also tried to take a lot of practice tests to expand my knowledge, then added to my cheat sheet accordingly.

jimmy-bond
State: OH

Post by jimmy-bond »

lmccauley wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 11:34 am I was thrown into this event last second at my competition. What worked best for all of you when making your cheat sheets for future ideas?
SOinc has a few resources that basically serve as a guideline for tests. I see a lot of things, like classifications of estuaries, where the answer according to NOAA is very different than that on SOinc, but test writers chose to use the latter instead. Also, going through the rules bullet by bullet always helps.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
brookeklynn
State: ND
Has thanked: 0

Post by brookeklynn »

I think the biggest helper at the competition was the cheat sheet and the practice tests beforehand. The practice tests help ease your anxiety and help you be more prepared and less scared for the real thing. The cheat sheet helped organize your knowledge into a basic form to assist you in your test.
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

BennyTheJett wrote: March 12th, 2020, 12:32 pm Yeah. I kind of like (as bad as this sounds) the backlash, because maybe national science olympiad will actually change this. I personally think it's ridiculous that they are keeping the same events in next year, and I strongly disagree with that decision.
Yo Benny!! I need your email. Can you forward it to me? Dr. C
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

Thanks Benny! And sorry for confusing you with BenntTheJett :(
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

drcubbin wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am Thanks Benny! And sorry for confusing you with BenntTheJett :(
It's all good! I've done that a few times myself!
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
drcubbin (July 23rd, 2020, 11:44 am)

Return to “2020 Study Events”