Water Quality B/C

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by BennyTheJett »

I dislike electric salinometers (if people use different salts, it could throw it off!). I'm not using a straw, rather a dropper pipet flipped over with sand in it, and am doing quite well.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

jlamslam wrote: January 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm Anyone have any tips on making an accurate salinometer? I'm having trouble marking accurate lines on the straw. Is an electric salinometer better?
I believe some of the older Water Quality forums have some suggestions and ideas, although I cannot find them at the moment. One has a picture of a pipette salinometer similar to the type BennytheJett is describing. I find it helpful to find a Sharpie you are willing to sacrifice so you can mark it while it is floating(it tends to be rather hard on the Sharpie, though).
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Blank25
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by Blank25 »

What does it mean by "There are no restrictions on size except that the team must build the device to operate within a standard 400-600 ml beaker"? Is it saying that the device has to fit within the beaker or only some part of the device has to be in the beaker?
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Blank25 wrote: January 20th, 2020, 8:53 am What does it mean by "There are no restrictions on size except that the team must build the device to operate within a standard 400-600 ml beaker"? Is it saying that the device has to fit within the beaker or only some part of the device has to be in the beaker?
Only some part. It just means you shouldn't have to pour the water out to test it or something.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Reckless57
State: NC

Post by Reckless57 »

Do we need to be able to identify the marine indicators on the rules as well as the macroinvertebrates listed on Scioly wiki?
2021 Events: TBD

2020 Events:
Protein Modeling: 1st National Ready regionals
WQ: 3rd National Ready regionals

2019 Events: (Div B)
Boom: 4th Regionals
Heredity: 3rd States
WIDI: 3rd Regionals
DD: 1st States :)
EXP Design: 2nd States
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Reckless57 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:19 pm Do we need to be able to identify the marine indicators on the rules as well as the macroinvertebrates listed on Scioly wiki?
Rules are the official source, some parts of the wiki may be slightly outdated, use the organisms provided in the rules to study. They’re not the same organisms?
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

SilverBreeze wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:06 pm
Reckless57 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:19 pm Do we need to be able to identify the marine indicators on the rules as well as the macroinvertebrates listed on Scioly wiki?
Rules are the official source, some parts of the wiki may be slightly outdated, use the organisms provided in the rules to study. They’re not the same organisms?
Yeah, the macroinverts are from last year
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Reckless57
State: NC

Post by Reckless57 »

hmmm wrote: January 25th, 2020, 11:07 pm
SilverBreeze wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:06 pm
Yeah, the macroinverts are from last year
Thanks!
2021 Events: TBD

2020 Events:
Protein Modeling: 1st National Ready regionals
WQ: 3rd National Ready regionals

2019 Events: (Div B)
Boom: 4th Regionals
Heredity: 3rd States
WIDI: 3rd Regionals
DD: 1st States :)
EXP Design: 2nd States
Scrambledeggs
Been thanked: 0

Post by Scrambledeggs »

Okay so I am trying to use the pipette with sand method for my salinometer, but for distilled water (0% salinity) and 2% salinity, there is no difference. Does anyone know what may be going wrong?
2019 - 2020 Events: Water Quality, Ornithology, Dynamic Planet, Ping pong parachute
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Scrambledeggs wrote: January 31st, 2020, 7:53 pm Okay so I am trying to use the pipette with sand method for my salinometer, but for distilled water (0% salinity) and 2% salinity, there is no difference. Does anyone know what may be going wrong?
It seems dumb, but you might want to use a thinner pen. Also might want to check your lab technique. It's easy to mess up a calibration solution.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023

Return to “2020 Study Events”