Mousetrap Vehicle B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by windu34 »

Mousetrap Vehicle B: Teams design, build and test one vehicle using one mousetrap as its sole means of propulsion to reach a target as quickly and accurately as possible.

Mousetrap Vehicle Wiki

Mousetrap Vehicle Image Gallery

Scioly.org Vehicle Events Presentation

Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2018, 2019
These users thanked the author windu34 for the post:
PigeonGiraffe (August 10th, 2021, 11:50 am)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Anykey

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by Anykey »

Is there a 2020 Track Layout diagram anywhere?

I saw the 2019 and 2018, but not the 2020, even on the main page for the 2020 event there is only 2019 link and it seems that the rules are very different.
I can't find anything about cups in the 2020 rules, yet they are in the 2019 layout. It also seems that 2019 had two target point and it looks like 2020 might only have one - it is not clear to me after reading the rules and trying to compare it to the 2019 diagram using the link provided on the Mousetrap Vehicle
page https://www.soinc.org/mousetrap-vehicle-b
Having never done this before, it is hard to understand what is actually supposed to be created, what the vehicle is supposed to do.

The link above to the Scioly.org Vehicle Events Presentation says "this video is private".

TIA
These users thanked the author Anykey for the post:
PigeonGiraffe (August 10th, 2021, 11:50 am)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Anykey wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:19 pm Is there a 2020 Track Layout diagram anywhere?

I saw the 2019 and 2018, but not the 2020, even on the main page for the 2020 event there is only 2019 link and it seems that the rules are very different.
I can't find anything about cups in the 2020 rules, yet they are in the 2019 layout. It also seems that 2019 had two target point and it looks like 2020 might only have one - it is not clear to me after reading the rules and trying to compare it to the 2019 diagram using the link provided on the Mousetrap Vehicle
Having never done this before, it is hard to understand what is actually supposed to be created, what the vehicle is supposed to do.

The link above to the Scioly.org Vehicle Events Presentation says "this video is private".

TIA
They seem to be testing a new track layout in Div B this year. That is, a Start Point and and End Point, no timing lines or anything else.

2019 in Div C had the vehicles reverse direction.
These users thanked the author Unome for the post:
PigeonGiraffe (August 10th, 2021, 11:51 am)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

Unome wrote: September 25th, 2019, 9:43 pm
Anykey wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:19 pm Is there a 2020 Track Layout diagram anywhere?

TIA
They seem to be testing a new track layout in Div B this year. That is, a Start Point and and End Point, no timing lines or anything else.

2019 in Div C had the vehicles reverse direction.
Seems a 20 cm dowel is an overkill then if its only purpose is a start point. Can't really use a photogate if the timing is the entire run.
maxvadas

Post by maxvadas »

I'm having trouble with my Mouse Trap Vehicle. The fishing line I'm using for it keeps slipping on the back axel. Any suggestions?
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

put a zip tie on the rear axle and glue the zip tie in place, tie a loop at the end of the line to grab the zip tie to begin winding it.
These users thanked the author cool hand luke for the post:
PigeonGiraffe (August 10th, 2021, 11:51 am)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

A track diagram for Mousetrap Vehicle has been posted to the national website.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote: October 16th, 2019, 10:14 am A track diagram for Mousetrap Vehicle has been posted to the national website.
This is truly the coolest of diagrams. I'm looking forward to running the event at Chattahoochee in a few months.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mynameisbob
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mynameisbob »

What would a good material be to build my mousetrap vehicle out of? Maximizing speed and durability?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

mynameisbob wrote: October 26th, 2019, 11:05 am What would a good material be to build my mousetrap vehicle out of? Maximizing speed and durability?
I'd recommend carbon fiber and 3d printed parts if you can get them.

If not, balsa wood is a cheaper alternative.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle B”