Mousetrap Vehicle B

pasi
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: November 4th, 2019, 6:26 am
Division: B
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by pasi » November 4th, 2019, 6:33 am

Is there a reverse direction need or pushing the cup is needed in 2020 MouseTrapVehicle B challenge? Is there an official rules defined somewhere?
Thanks,
Pasi

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by MadCow2357 » November 4th, 2019, 8:06 am

pasi wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:33 am
Is there a reverse direction need or pushing the cup is needed in 2020 MouseTrapVehicle B challenge? Is there an official rules defined somewhere?
Thanks,
Pasi
You can get the rules for free for free on soinc.org.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

Epicbanna4
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: November 14th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Division: B
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by Epicbanna4 » November 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Rule 3.e states, "In the ready to run configuration, all wheels/treads (in their entirety) must fit in a 40.0 cm x 40 cm space of any height and any orientation." Does that mean you could set your vehicle upright like its doing a wheelie, and make your vehicle infinitely long? Or do all 4 wheels have to be touching the ground?

Lorant
Member
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: February 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by Lorant » November 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Epicbanna4 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Rule 3.e states, "In the ready to run configuration, all wheels/treads (in their entirety) must fit in a 40.0 cm x 40 cm space of any height and any orientation." Does that mean you could set your vehicle upright like its doing a wheelie, and make your vehicle infinitely long? Or do all 4 wheels have to be touching the ground?
It must be in the "ready to run configuration" meaning however your vehicle will start is how it has to fit in the 40x40 square. In other words yes, all 4 wheels must touch the ground when ready to run and thus when measured.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage

mdejong
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: November 6th, 2019, 7:15 am
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by mdejong » November 6th, 2019, 8:47 am

Clarification question. Construction Parameter 3a. state that "No part of the jaw/hammer may extend more than 1.0 cm beyond the base." Then goes on to state, "Items may be added to the mousetrap through methods including, but not limited to: soldering, taping........"

Most designs that I have seen include an added length of material to the "jaw/hammer" that extends the distance traveled in order to apply the force to the axle more effectively than with the regular jaw/hammer. Does this rule mean that we cannot extend more than 1 cm beyond the base, or does it mean that the original jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm beyond the base? Thanks in advance.

GurtYo
Member
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: January 21st, 2019, 10:08 am
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by GurtYo » November 14th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Would the best approach be to make the lever arm attached to the mousetrap longer or shorter? In other words, distance or speed?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins

Epicbanna4
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: November 14th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Division: B
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by Epicbanna4 » November 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm

mdejong wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:47 am
Clarification question. Construction Parameter 3a. state that "No part of the jaw/hammer may extend more than 1.0 cm beyond the base." Then goes on to state, "Items may be added to the mousetrap through methods including, but not limited to: soldering, taping........"

Most designs that I have seen include an added length of material to the "jaw/hammer" that extends the distance traveled in order to apply the force to the axle more effectively than with the regular jaw/hammer. Does this rule mean that we cannot extend more than 1 cm beyond the base, or does it mean that the original jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm beyond the base? Thanks in advance.
Alright. So the rules state that the jaw/hammer must not extend 1 cm longer than the wooden base of the mousetrap. The metal Jaw/hammer cannot be modified (like bending, cutting, melting, etc.) to achieve better mechanical advantage. However, yes, people have added a drive arm to the jaw/hammer. Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

Image

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by builder83 » November 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Epicbanna4 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm
mdejong wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:47 am
Clarification question. Construction Parameter 3a. state that "No part of the jaw/hammer may extend more than 1.0 cm beyond the base." Then goes on to state, "Items may be added to the mousetrap through methods including, but not limited to: soldering, taping........"

Most designs that I have seen include an added length of material to the "jaw/hammer" that extends the distance traveled in order to apply the force to the axle more effectively than with the regular jaw/hammer. Does this rule mean that we cannot extend more than 1 cm beyond the base, or does it mean that the original jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm beyond the base? Thanks in advance.
Alright. So the rules state that the jaw/hammer must not extend 1 cm longer than the wooden base of the mousetrap. The metal Jaw/hammer cannot be modified (like bending, cutting, melting, etc.) to achieve better mechanical advantage. However, yes, people have added a drive arm to the jaw/hammer. Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

Image
Why is this 1cm jaw/hammer even a rule? Are there mousetraps where the metal snapper (aka jaw) does not snap down completely on the wood base? I wouldnt think for an optimal mouse stike, there would need to be a solid surface under the jaw, not one that sticks out past the base.

Also, anybody know why we have to add a 20 cm wood dowel? I don't think a photogate can be used since the time score is the entire run. It still seems like an overkill to serve only as the start point.

User avatar
bearasauras
Member
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: March 4th, 2003, 8:33 pm
State: CA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 85 times
Contact:

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by bearasauras » November 16th, 2019, 1:42 pm

builder83 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Why is this 1cm jaw/hammer even a rule? Are there mousetraps where the metal snapper (aka jaw) does not snap down completely on the wood base? I wouldnt think for an optimal mouse stike, there would need to be a solid surface under the jaw, not one that sticks out past the base.
This has been seen at tournaments before.

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by builder83 » November 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm

bearasauras wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 1:42 pm
builder83 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Why is this 1cm jaw/hammer even a rule? Are there mousetraps where the metal snapper (aka jaw) does not snap down completely on the wood base? I wouldnt think for an optimal mouse stike, there would need to be a solid surface under the jaw, not one that sticks out past the base.
This has been seen at tournaments before.
Well that makes more sense. Thanks for sharing. It still wouldn't work because of the dimension the base is required to be. But I guess they are just covering all angles with the extra rule.

Locked

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest