Rules question

Bosque
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rules question

Post by Bosque »

In the rules, it states that the jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm from the base. later in part d, the rules state that nothing other than the drive arm and string may extend beyond the front of the dowel. Note that the rules are making an apparent distinction between the jaw/hammer from the trap and the drive arm.

So does this mean that the drive arm can be essentially any length at all as it is attached to but is not the jaw or hammer of the original mousetrap?
Last edited by bernard on January 18th, 2020, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject of post changed from "Rules clarification" to avoid confusing this topic as a possible clarification.
chialeah

Re: Rules question

Post by chialeah »

I too have a question about this. It seems that we need to have a stationary dowel and a drive dowel?
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

If you want an official rule clarification, this is not the place to get that. You would have to submit one to the national office through https://www.soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

Bosque wrote: November 6th, 2019, 11:30 am In the rules, it states that the jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm from the base. later in part d, the rules state that nothing other than the drive arm and string may extend beyond the front of the dowel. Note that the rules are making an apparent distinction between the jaw/hammer from the trap and the drive arm.

So does this mean that the drive arm can be essentially any length at all as it is attached to but is not the jaw or hammer of the original mousetrap?
Yah, that sounds right.
Epicbanna4
Division: B
State: MN

Post by Epicbanna4 »

Bosque wrote: November 6th, 2019, 11:30 am In the rules, it states that the jaw/hammer cannot extend more than 1cm from the base. later in part d, the rules state that nothing other than the drive arm and string may extend beyond the front of the dowel. Note that the rules are making an apparent distinction between the jaw/hammer from the trap and the drive arm.

Scroll down on this: viewtopic.php?f=314&t=15363&start=10 page and find my response to another kid who had the same question
Smb66

Post by Smb66 »

In the rules it says no part of the mousetrap other than the drive arm and drive string may exceed more than 0,5 cm over the dowel.is this ready to run or regular?

An approximately 1⁄4” round wooden dowel must be attached to the front of the Vehicle. When the Vehicle is placed flat on the floor, the dowel must be approximately perpendicular to the floor, extend to within 1.0 cm of the floor, and extend at least 20.0 cm above the floor. The dowel must be easily accessible by the Event Supervisor - no part of the Vehicle, except the drive arm and drive string, may extend more than 0.5 cm beyond the front of the dowel. The dowel’s front bottom edge will be the
Vehicle’s Measurement Point for distance measurements.
e. In the ready-to-run configuration, all wheels/treads (in their entirety) must fit in a 40.0 cm x 40.0 cm
space of any height and any orientation. Axles, drive arms, and other parts of the Vehicle may extend
beyond these parameters.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle B”