String Unraveling?

GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

String Unraveling?

Post by GurtYo »

When I wrap the string around the axle, the string unravels before I can set it off. How can I fix this?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: String Unraveling?

Post by Things2do »

Are you setting the traps after you wind it? If so, are you letting the string unwrap slowly while you're holding the axle? Doing that will allow the flex of the rod to dissipate, which should help keep the string from unwinding. I also found that setting the car on the ground before you let go of the axle will allow you to keep more of the string wrapped around the axle. You could also allow the car to roll forward a bit while you're holding it to undo that little bit. As long as it remains in front of you, you don't roll it very far, and you're holding it, I see no reason that this would violate the rule about rolling the vehicle on the track. I'm assuming that you're wrapping your axle before you set the traps. If not, that helps keep the string tight.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.I have not read the rules for this year, but I don't think they'll've done anything that makes the above illegal.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
GurtYo

Post by GurtYo »

Things2do wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:17 pm Are you setting the traps after you wind it? If so, are you letting the string unwrap slowly while you're holding the axle? Doing that will allow the flex of the rod to dissipate, which should help keep the string from unwinding. I also found that setting the car on the ground before you let go of the axle will allow you to keep more of the string wrapped around the axle. You could also allow the car to roll forward a bit while you're holding it to undo that little bit. As long as it remains in front of you, you don't roll it very far, and you're holding it, I see no reason that this would violate the rule about rolling the vehicle on the track. I'm assuming that you're wrapping your axle before you set the traps. If not, that helps keep the string tight.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.I have not read the rules for this year, but I don't think they'll've done anything that makes the above illegal.
Yeah, I am setting the traps after I wind it. So is there no way to get rid of this problem completely?
“Life is short.

― Mallory Hopkins
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

GurtYo wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Things2do wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:17 pm Are you setting the traps after you wind it? If so, are you letting the string unwrap slowly while you're holding the axle? Doing that will allow the flex of the rod to dissipate, which should help keep the string from unwinding. I also found that setting the car on the ground before you let go of the axle will allow you to keep more of the string wrapped around the axle. You could also allow the car to roll forward a bit while you're holding it to undo that little bit. As long as it remains in front of you, you don't roll it very far, and you're holding it, I see no reason that this would violate the rule about rolling the vehicle on the track. I'm assuming that you're wrapping your axle before you set the traps. If not, that helps keep the string tight.

Yeah, I am setting the traps after I wind it. So is there no way to get rid of this problem completely?
Assuming that I understood what you were saying, the only way to abolish it is to have a rod that won't bend at all. However, with practice and adjustments, it won't affect your runs.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

I wouldn't say that's the only way to solve it. Last year, I had this issue, and it was really affecting our runs, so instead of starting our mousetraps with the built-in trigger, we made a lock on the axle that could be released with a pencil (this was legal under last year's rules - not sure if it still is this year).
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
GurtYo

Post by GurtYo »

dragonfruit35 wrote: December 19th, 2019, 6:23 am I wouldn't say that's the only way to solve it. Last year, I had this issue, and it was really affecting our runs, so instead of starting our mousetraps with the built-in trigger, we made a lock on the axle that could be released with a pencil (this was legal under last year's rules - not sure if it still is this year).
That's a really good idea! I'll double check with the rules and try it out. Thank you to everyone who replied!
“Life is short.

― Mallory Hopkins
babsbliss
State: NY

Post by babsbliss »

Curious about the lock on the axle? How was this done basically? I think it is okay from what I am reading in the rules.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle B”