Mousetrap vehicle too heavy?

mynameisbob
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mousetrap vehicle too heavy?

Post by mynameisbob »

Hello, I have constructed my mousetrap vehicle but whenever I try to trigger it, it won't budge. I think it may be too heavy for the mousetrap to handle. It weighs approximately one pound, is that too much? The body is entirely 3D printed and fairly large. so I think that may be an issue.
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap vehicle too heavy?

Post by builder83 »

mynameisbob wrote: February 17th, 2020, 12:39 pm Hello, I have constructed my mousetrap vehicle but whenever I try to trigger it, it won't budge. I think it may be too heavy for the mousetrap to handle. It weighs approximately one pound, is that too much? The body is entirely 3D printed and fairly large. so I think that may be an issue.
1 lb is really heavy. I have a good sized one and its quite a few times lighter than that weight. Other factors are friction in axles, kill rod too long, wheel diameter too big, etc.

Youtube has a few examples that might get you on the right track. I used 3d printing also, but subbed carbon fiber where I could. But I had fully printed a couple of proto cars under 300 grams, so maybe look at thinning up your stl and go like 10% fill. Tires can be very heavy too, look for better options.
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Mousetrap vehicle too heavy?

Post by mnoga »

mynameisbob wrote: February 17th, 2020, 12:39 pm Hello, I have constructed my mousetrap vehicle but whenever I try to trigger it, it won't budge. I think it may be too heavy for the mousetrap to handle. It weighs approximately one pound, is that too much? The body is entirely 3D printed and fairly large. so I think that may be an issue.
Yes, way too heavy. Last year, our MTV won NorCal States and it weighed approximately 260 grams, or roughly 1/2 pound. And, since it was a C division event, we were allowed to use two mouse traps. You should be able to build something around 200 grams.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle B”