Wheels

Tendan
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by Tendan »

sciencecat42 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:42 am
MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Why T81 as opposed to T40? Won't they just take more energy due to being heavier and lower your center of mass?
What do you mean by taking more energy?
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Out of curiosity: if one could purchase banebots wheels at custom sizes (disregarding price), what sizes might be most ideal for vehicle events in general?

My Thoughts:
- In terms of diameter, my preferences would probably be 3" or 4".
- I could also see cases where a 2" would be most ideal.
- Most of the time, width doesn't matter much - but back in 2019 I remember searching for, to no avail, tall thin wheels that could minimize the width of my buggy (can bonus).
- T81s have always seemed a bit thick and heavy to me (~2 cm), so personally I'd be quite interested in something closer to 1 cm.

Anybody have opinions regarding ^ ?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
unphayzed
State: MO
Has thanked: 0

Post by unphayzed »

Tendan wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:22 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Why T81 as opposed to T40? Won't they just take more energy due to being heavier and lower your center of mass?
Hi Tendan,

The reason that heavier wheel require more energy to rotate is due to the concept of rotational inertia. Put simply, rotational inertia is the the amount of force required to change the rotational velocity of an object, or in other words, rotate an object. The more your wheels weigh, the more force/energy is required to rotate your wheels, making your vehicle slower.

Additionally, having heavier wheels will take away from the amount of weight you can use towards optimizing the center-of-mass of your gravity vehicle, reducing your speed as well.

I hope that this answered your question! If you have any more questions, I have made a blog post covering the basic of Gravity Vehicle that may help you out: https://unphayzed.com/2020/05/04/gravit ... damentals/
unphayzed
State: MO

Post by unphayzed »

MadCow2357 wrote: July 28th, 2020, 9:02 pm Out of curiosity: if one could purchase banebots wheels at custom sizes (disregarding price), what sizes might be most ideal for vehicle events in general?

My Thoughts:
- Most of the time, width doesn't matter much - but back in 2019 I remember searching for, to no avail, tall thin wheels that could minimize the width of my buggy (can bonus).
- T81s have always seemed a bit thick and heavy to me (~2 cm), so personally I'd be quite interested in something closer to 1 cm.

Hi MadCow2357,

In terms of the size of your wheels, there really is no need to have them be any bigger than 3". The reason that I am an advocate for this is because:

1) Unless there is an important need to make your vehicle thin, like the battery buggy bonus you mentioned, using larger wheels for the purpose of making your vehicle thinner would only take away from your car's stability.
2) With larger wheels, especially banebot wheels, you are dealing with a lot more weight and rotational inertia.
3) Depending on how your vehicle is designed, having larger wheels at the back of your car will cause your gravity vehicle to need to sit lower on its ramp to abide by the rules, reducing the potential energy you have to use.

In terms of wheel thickness, having thicker wheels is a sfer option regardless of the extra weight, at least in my experience, because it significantly improves the stability of car and will help it travel straighter.

I hope that this answered your question! If you have any other questions this post I made might help you: https://unphayzed.com/2020/05/04/gravit ... damentals/
GodOfCars
State: IL

Post by GodOfCars »

Rossyspsce wrote: October 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm does banebots sell the shafts for the hubs or do people just buy them from a hardware store?
Unfortunately, banebots does not sell shafts, so you're gonna need to buy that yourself. I know that ace hardware usually has pretty good axles for a good price but not much selection. If you need a custom size or something you might have to order online.
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

unphayzed wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 11:49 am
MadCow2357 wrote: July 28th, 2020, 9:02 pm Out of curiosity: if one could purchase banebots wheels at custom sizes (disregarding price), what sizes might be most ideal for vehicle events in general?

My Thoughts:

Hi MadCow2357,

In terms of the size of your wheels, there really is no need to have them be any bigger than 3". The reason that I am an advocate for this is because:

1) Unless there is an important need to make your vehicle thin, like the battery buggy bonus you mentioned, using larger wheels for the purpose of making your vehicle thinner would only take away from your car's stability.
2) With larger wheels, especially banebot wheels, you are dealing with a lot more weight and rotational inertia.
3) Depending on how your vehicle is designed, having larger wheels at the back of your car will cause your gravity vehicle to need to sit lower on its ramp to abide by the rules, reducing the potential energy you have to use.

In terms of wheel thickness, having thicker wheels is a sfer option regardless of the extra weight, at least in my experience, because it significantly improves the stability of car and will help it travel straighter.

I hope that this answered your question! If you have any other questions this post I made might help you: https://unphayzed.com/2020/05/04/gravit ... damentals/
Clearly you spent a lot of time on this website, so kudos to you.

However, I always use small wheels, since I found that they have good balance or Banebots wheels and they work well with the design we use. Also have found that smaller wheels=greater accuracy (at least for us).
Last edited by MoMoney$$$;)0) on August 10th, 2020, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
Tendan
State: PA

Post by Tendan »

unphayzed wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 11:36 am
Tendan wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Hi Tendan,

The reason that heavier wheel require more energy to rotate is due to the concept of rotational inertia. Put simply, rotational inertia is the the amount of force required to change the rotational velocity of an object, or in other words, rotate an object. The more your wheels weigh, the more force/energy is required to rotate your wheels, making your vehicle slower.

Additionally, having heavier wheels will take away from the amount of weight you can use towards optimizing the center-of-mass of your gravity vehicle, reducing your speed as well.

I hope that this answered your question! If you have any more questions, I have made a blog post covering the basic of Gravity Vehicle that may help you out: https://unphayzed.com/2020/05/04/gravit ... damentals/
I was asking for clarification as to whether they mean more energy to accelerate, keep in motion, stop, or whatever else.

Also, I checked out your website and videos, you've done a great job explaining this event and others. Hopefully, it will help out those who are just starting GV this year.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”