Gravity Vehicle C

Raesow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Raesow »

MadCow2357 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Raesow wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:03 pm So, in the context of sweeping the track, something weird happened at my regional that just passed. As my teammate and I started our run, when he began to sweep the track, the event supervisor yelled at him to stop, saying that we were not allowed to do anything to the track past the .5 meter timing line. This is mentioned nowhere in the rules, so I have to assume that this is incorrect, right? In fact, I think this was the reason that we did relatively poorly compared to our testing since we could not have the floors in the conditions we wanted, and I definitely noticed a decent amount of skid that was not at all present beforehand.
Ok Nats ESes have never had a problem with this - basically ur regionals es was wrong ;)
Thanks so much! We made it to states this year, so I'm hoping for much better results there when we can actually have consistent predictable results. Kinda angry tho that my easy first place was robbed by this. Maybe I'm just overreacting but I just need to vent about it
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Raesow wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:03 pm So, in the context of sweeping the track, something weird happened at my regional that just passed. As my teammate and I started our run, when he began to sweep the track, the event supervisor yelled at him to stop, saying that we were not allowed to do anything to the track past the .5 meter timing line. This is mentioned nowhere in the rules, so I have to assume that this is incorrect, right? In fact, I think this was the reason that we did relatively poorly compared to our testing since we could not have the floors in the conditions we wanted, and I definitely noticed a decent amount of skid that was not at all present beforehand.
Ok Nats ESes have never had a problem with this - basically ur regionals es was wrong ;)
Yeah I was at my regional on Saturday and my partner gave the track a good swiffering. The ESes had to keep reminding each other not to walk on the track :lol: .

On another note, just wondering, have any competitions actually used photogates for gravity vehicle? All the ones I have been to so far (only 2) have just used timers.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Raesow

Post by Raesow »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:47 pm
Yeah I was at my regional on Saturday and my partner gave the track a good swiffering. The ESes had to keep reminding each other not to walk on the track :lol: .

On another note, just wondering, have any competitions actually used photogates for gravity vehicle? All the ones I have been to so far (only 2) have just used timers.
I'm actually really confused about the photogate timers as well. So far, both of the competitions I've been to have used both photogate and manual timers, but they only used the times from the manual timers. Are the photogate timers considered to be a backup reading in case of error from the manual ones? I really am clueless on that.
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Raesow wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I'm actually really confused about the photogate timers as well. So far, both of the competitions I've been to have used both photogate and manual timers, but they only used the times from the manual timers. Are the photogate timers considered to be a backup reading in case of error from the manual ones? I really am clueless on that.
I was under the impression that photogate timers would be used for the official time in the optimal competition setting. It's possible the ESes used the manual timers because the scoresheets have spaces for 3 times. If they had photogates though it's strange that they wouldn't use them.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:53 pm
Raesow wrote: February 10th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I was under the impression that photogate timers would be used for the official time in the optimal competition setting. It's possible the ESes used the manual timers because the scoresheets have spaces for 3 times. If they had photogates though it's strange that they wouldn't use them.
I also find this odd in a way. Every single competition I've been to date for vehicle events (past 4 years) they have always used photogate timing, and use the manual timers for timing in just in case situations, like your vehicle hitting one of the photogate sensors. In all, I find there to be no need for manual timers if you have a photogate, and I prefer the photogate since it's MUCH more exact in scoring. I'm actually kind of surprised not all places use photogates, but that might be since I live in a competitive region, maybe.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

There is nothing in the rules that prevent sweeping the floor, however using any kind of cleaning substance could get you tiered because you are applying a substance that could leave a residue on the floor. Under that scenario it would be up to the ES's discretion whether you actually were tiered down.

Obviously the ES did not know the rules for the event. However, what happens sometimes is that an ES, not knowing the rules, prevents the 1st few teams from sweeping the floor, and when team/mentor/coach points out that it is permissible, he/she is now potentially in an unfair situation. That is, the ES prevented some teams from sweeping and now he/she is being asked to allow sweeping. So to make it fair for everyone, the ES may decide to not allow any cleaning of the track. Not sure if that happened at your Invitational, but it is a possibility.

BTW, good supervisors will clean the floor between each team's runs and avoid walking across the track's surface, except when measuring distance from the target point.

The event should be run on a smooth level floor. Recently refinished wood (gym) floors are usually the best choice, however we have run across tile floors that are very smooth and even better than the aforementioned. We have also run across tile floors that have a very pebble-like texture, hence very rough. Under this scenario, results will be somewhat unpredictable and heavier vehicle with larger wheels are more likely to rule the day.

At the UC Davis invitational, the ES did not time between .5m and 8.5m, they just timed from release to stop point of vehicle. They did not apply .5m and 8.5m tape lines to the floor either. Once they started timing in this fashion they could not go back to the correct way of timing the event.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:19 pm I also find this odd in a way. Every single competition I've been to date for vehicle events (past 4 years) they have always used photogate timing, and use the manual timers for timing in just in case situations, like your vehicle hitting one of the photogate sensors. In all, I find there to be no need for manual timers if you have a photogate, and I prefer the photogate since it's MUCH more exact in scoring. I'm actually kind of surprised not all places use photogates, but that might be since I live in a competitive region, maybe.
In my experience, it very much depends in who is running the event. Some schools have the fancy kit, and some don't.

You always need timers, though - I've seen more than one vehicle event where the car has gone outside the photogate, and so has had to be timed manually.
petal

Post by petal »

Do you guys use scopes for aligning your ramps and if so, have they been working well? I've just been using the lines on the floor to align and so far it has been okay at every invitational I have gone to, but I know that is not a good idea and that those lines cannot be trusted (and may not always be there). If not a scope, does anyone have any other suggestions for alignment?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

petal wrote: February 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm Do you guys use scopes for aligning your ramps and if so, have they been working well? I've just been using the lines on the floor to align and so far it has been okay at every invitational I have gone to, but I know that is not a good idea and that those lines cannot be trusted (and may not always be there). If not a scope, does anyone have any other suggestions for alignment?
I have a centerline on my ramp that I line up with the center of the track, and from there I line up marks on the bottom of my ramp to the tape of the starting line (if that makes any sense).
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

petal wrote: February 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm Do you guys use scopes for aligning your ramps and if so, have they been working well? I've just been using the lines on the floor to align and so far it has been okay at every invitational I have gone to, but I know that is not a good idea and that those lines cannot be trusted (and may not always be there). If not a scope, does anyone have any other suggestions for alignment?
Yes, I bought a cheep BB gun scope. It's been working well.

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”