Gravity Vehicle C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Gravity Vehicle C

Post by windu34 »

Gravity Vehicle C: Teams design, build and test one Vehicle and Ramp that uses the Vehicle's gravitational potential energy as its sole means of propulsion to reach a target as quickly and accurately as possible.

Gravity Vehicle Wiki

Gravity Vehicle Image Gallery

Scioly.org Vehicle Events Presentation

Past Threads: 2012, 2013
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
AngelMB
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Scoring

Post by AngelMB »

Taking into account the new scoring methodology, I expect top scores to be significantly lower from the last time Gravity Vehicle was an event (high 200's I believe). If anything, they should be closer to the top scores that Mousetrap Vehicle had last year (Sub 20). Obviously we can't tell what times and accuracy vehicles will have right now, but I expect similar times to MV and an improvement to the accuracies we saw with MV as teams can slow down past the 8.5 meter mark to ensure less jumpiness and 'fish-tailing' that would occur from braking at high speeds.
Boca High '20

2020 Events
Boomi, Circuits, Detector, Gravity

Nats Placements 2019
Mission - 1st
Circuits - 7th
Mousetrap - 23rd
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scoring

Post by sciolyperson1 »

AngelMB wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm Taking into account the new scoring methodology, I expect top scores to be significantly lower from the last time Gravity Vehicle was an event (high 200's I believe). If anything, they should be closer to the top scores that Mousetrap Vehicle had last year (Sub 20). Obviously we can't tell what times and accuracy vehicles will have right now, but I expect similar times to MV and an improvement to the accuracies we saw with MV as teams can slow down past the 8.5 meter mark to ensure less jumpiness and 'fish-tailing' that would occur from braking at high speeds.
Can you clarify what you mean by the slow down past the 8.5m mark?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Given that the time is now taken by two photogates (one at the .5 meter mark and one at the 8.5 meter mark), teams can now adapt their vehicles to brake over a distance of half a meter because the shortest distance it will have to stop at is 9 meters. This 0.5 meter buffer distance would allow for a system (such as a wingnut with a spring) that would cause the vehicle to slow down before coming to a stop and would effectively reduce or eliminate skidding.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
AngelMB

Post by AngelMB »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 3:46 pm
Given that the time is now taken by two photogates (one at the .5 meter mark and one at the 8.5 meter mark), teams can now adapt their vehicles to brake over a distance of half a meter because the shortest distance it will have to stop at is 9 meters. This 0.5 meter buffer distance would allow for a system (such as a wingnut with a spring) that would cause the vehicle to slow down before coming to a stop and would effectively reduce or eliminate skidding.
Precisely, I also believe the accuracy scores should be at least slightly better since the track once again follows a straight line rather than a curve like last year.
Boca High '20

2020 Events
Boomi, Circuits, Detector, Gravity

Nats Placements 2019
Mission - 1st
Circuits - 7th
Mousetrap - 23rd
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 3:46 pm Given that the time is now taken by two photogates (one at the .5 meter mark and one at the 8.5 meter mark), teams can now adapt their vehicles to brake over a distance of half a meter because the shortest distance it will have to stop at is 9 meters. This 0.5 meter buffer distance would allow for a system (such as a wingnut with a spring) that would cause the vehicle to slow down before coming to a stop and would effectively reduce or eliminate skidding.
One thing to watch out for is making sure your vehicle still has enough momentum to reach the target point, a mistake I made doing EV back in the day.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
chessbucket
Has thanked: 0

Post by chessbucket »

Is it just me or is striving to make a brachistochrone curve or optimize time to reach the bottom of the ramp a useless consideration now that the timings start after the vehicle has left the ramp? Even if timing started when the vehicle was released, I doubt having a brachistochrone ramp curve would make a difference. IIRC, you would have to have the center of mass of the vehicle travel in the brachistochrone trajectory which is a pain. I predict 1-6 at nationals to be sub 10 :|
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chessbucket wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 7:43 pm Is it just me or is striving to make a brachistochrone curve or optimize time to reach the bottom of the ramp a useless consideration now that the timings start after the vehicle has left the ramp? Even if timing started when the vehicle was released, I doubt having a brachistochrone ramp curve would make a difference. IIRC, you would have to have the center of mass of the vehicle travel in the brachistochrone trajectory which is a pain. I predict 1-6 at nationals to be sub 10 :|
You're right, from what I've heard. This was mentioned at SOSI.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
someone1580
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by someone1580 »

Where do you guys buy these specialized ramps? Also, what design do you recommend besides the Brachistichrone Curve?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

someone1580 wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm Where do you guys buy these specialized ramps?
Generally you build them.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”