Gravity Vehicle C

Tendan
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Tendan »

petal wrote: February 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm Do you guys use scopes for aligning your ramps and if so, have they been working well? I've just been using the lines on the floor to align and so far it has been okay at every invitational I have gone to, but I know that is not a good idea and that those lines cannot be trusted (and may not always be there). If not a scope, does anyone have any other suggestions for alignment?
If you need a quick/cheap option, you can make a sight using two toothpicks stuck in a piece of wood. You line the toothpicks up with each other like an iron sight. Done right, it works just as well as a scope, with the one downside of being very fragile.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Tendan wrote: February 12th, 2020, 2:20 pm
petal wrote: February 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm Do you guys use scopes for aligning your ramps and if so, have they been working well? I've just been using the lines on the floor to align and so far it has been okay at every invitational I have gone to, but I know that is not a good idea and that those lines cannot be trusted (and may not always be there). If not a scope, does anyone have any other suggestions for alignment?
If you need a quick/cheap option, you can make a sight using two toothpicks stuck in a piece of wood. You line the toothpicks up with each other like an iron sight. Done right, it works just as well as a scope, with the one downside of being very fragile.
Another suggestion if you're rushed is to use a straw (Wider ones preferred), and then use tape and cover half of it up, that draw a thin line halfway though it the tape. Would suggest an actual scope otherwise.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
ndkuma01

Post by ndkuma01 »

Hi, I am new to gravity vehicle and I wanted to ask where is the best place to start building? Like should I first construct the ramp or the chasis?
lindsmaurer
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

ndkuma01 wrote: July 16th, 2020, 8:10 am Hi, I am new to gravity vehicle and I wanted to ask where is the best place to start building? Like should I first construct the ramp or the chasis?
The ramp generally takes longer to build, but you’ll want it to fit your car. I suggest starting on the ramp first, but then either making your car adjustable to be able to make it fit your ramp, or building your car before you finish the ramp so you can fit your ramp to your car.

If your ramp design is such that your car just needs to be smaller than the ramp as opposed to needing to fit perfectly, then I would say to build the ramp first, since it takes longer. But either way can work.
These users thanked the author lindsmaurer for the post:
sciolyperson1 (July 16th, 2020, 5:44 pm)
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X