Gravity Vehicle C

Airco2020
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Airco2020 »

So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!😠😠😠

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Airco2020 wrote: ↑February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!😠😠😠

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!
I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

mnoga wrote: ↑February 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm
Airco2020 wrote: ↑February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.
They also did that for Scrambler, 2017 nats.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

sciolyperson1 wrote: ↑February 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm

woah, nats? Either way, though, you should be able to adjust after your first run so that your distance is good.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

CPScienceDude wrote: ↑February 2nd, 2020, 6:28 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: ↑February 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm

woah, nats? Either way, though, you should be able to adjust after your first run so that your distance is good.
I just freaked out. It was so short on the first run that I assumed I did something wrong and only adjusted have the distance, dumb on my part. I'm going to measure the distance myself from now on and trust my setup!
fyuan483
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by fyuan483 »

hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!
Vortexx2
State: IN

Post by Vortexx2 »

fyuan483 wrote: ↑February 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!
yes
8th grade events: Mission Possible and Hovercraft.
High School: Codebusters, Designer genes, Gravity Vehicle, Mission Possible, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Protein Modeling.

It's been a heck of a ride, vortexx out.
fyuan483
Been thanked: 0

Post by fyuan483 »

Vortexx2 wrote: ↑February 6th, 2020, 1:19 pm
fyuan483 wrote: ↑February 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!
yes
thank you so much!
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Just clarifying, would wider wheels decrease the side-to-side offset of the vehicle? I'm considering replacing the T40s on my vehicle with T81s for the state competition because my vehicle tends to drift to the side in the direction of the floor tilt.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: ↑February 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm Just clarifying, would wider wheels decrease the side-to-side offset of the vehicle? I'm considering replacing the T40s on my vehicle with T81s for the state competition because my vehicle tends to drift to the side in the direction of the floor tilt.
Can you clarify what you mean by floor tilt? Most floors are flat enough that they do not affect horizontal car drift.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to β€œGravity Vehicle C”