Page 21 of 25

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
by sciolyperson1
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 6:54 am
Crimesolver wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm
does anyone have any ideas of reducing skidding once the car stops? The has been recently skidding at the very end of my runs, and I would like to know how to solve this problem other than moving the ramp around.
Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Alternatively just don't add weight

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 9th, 2020, 2:14 pm
by MTV<=>Operator
sciolyperson1 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 6:54 am
Crimesolver wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm
does anyone have any ideas of reducing skidding once the car stops? The has been recently skidding at the very end of my runs, and I would like to know how to solve this problem other than moving the ramp around.
Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Alternatively just don't add weight
Would not adding weight slow down the car?

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 10th, 2020, 5:04 am
by CPScienceDude
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 2:14 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 6:54 am

Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Alternatively just don't add weight
Would not adding weight slow down the car?
On my car, if I don’t add weight it would only go about 9 meters. So I have a ~800g weight over my rear axle

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 10th, 2020, 11:35 am
by lindsmaurer
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 2:14 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 6:54 am

Is your test surface clean? You probably already do this, but if not it's a good idea to start swiffering the track before runs. Trying to brake efficiently without skidding is very hard when your wheels are on a dusty surface. Pretty sure these effects will be magnified this year as well because of how heavy the vehicles are this year.
Alternatively just don't add weight
Would not adding weight slow down the car?
Adding weight over the braking axle reduces skidding, and provides momentum. It doesn't slow down the car because the car is being launched by gravity, and so it falls at the same rate as a lighter car (technically faster bc of the reduced surface area to weight ratio)

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 15th, 2020, 12:31 pm
by CPScienceDude
Interesting clarification:
(Section: 2 / Line: 1)
01/05/2020
ARE TEAMS FROM THE SAME SCHOOL ALLOWED TO SHARE A RAMP?
Yes; teams from the same school may share a ramp if it is it compatible with their vehicle.

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm
by knightmoves
CPScienceDude wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Interesting clarification:
(Section: 2 / Line: 1)
01/05/2020
ARE TEAMS FROM THE SAME SCHOOL ALLOWED TO SHARE A RAMP?
Yes; teams from the same school may share a ramp if it is it compatible with their vehicle.
Very "interesting". Also seems to be in conflict with General Rule 4 (All pre-built devices presented for judging must be constructed, impounded, and operated by one or more of the 15 current team members unless stated otherwise in the rules.) and Rule 1 of the Gravity Vehicle Event (Teams design, build, and test one Vehicle and Ramp...)

But it is an official clarification, and therefore the rule, whatever I think of it. (And I can see the merits - ramps are bulky, and if allowing teams to share ramps allows more kids to compete, that's a good thing.)

Still, how often have you seen a school's JV team show up to a build event with a device that looks different from what their varsity team had? What I usually see is that the JV team(s) and the V team all have copies of the same design. In some cases, the V kids are explaining to the JV kids how to operate the device whilst waiting in line to impound it.

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm
by fyuan483
i’m new to this event and i understand that the target point is 9-12m, but in the rules i read that the target point is chosen after impound. is it chosen or it is between 9-12m?

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 22nd, 2020, 6:51 pm
by Vortexx2
fyuan483 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm
i’m new to this event and i understand that the target point is 9-12m, but in the rules i read that the target point is chosen after impound. is it chosen or it is between 9-12m?
The target point is chosen after impound. However, whatever target point they choose must be within 9-12m.

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm
by fyuan483
after impound and the target point is chosen, we have to adjust our brake system to stop at that distance right?

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Posted: January 22nd, 2020, 8:00 pm
by xiangyu
fyuan483 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm
after impound and the target point is chosen, we have to adjust our brake system to stop at that distance right?
Yes, you have to do it on site.