Gravity Vehicle C

Locked
Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Airco2020 » February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm

So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!

User avatar
mnoga
Member
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: March 19th, 2015, 6:12 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Los Altos, CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by mnoga » February 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Airco2020 wrote: โ†‘
February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm
So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!
I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 827
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 263 times

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm

mnoga wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm
Airco2020 wrote: โ†‘
February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm
So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!
I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.
They also did that for Scrambler, 2017 nats.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17




Rate my tests!

User avatar
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 341
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Crown Point High School
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by CPScienceDude » February 2nd, 2020, 6:28 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm
mnoga wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm
Airco2020 wrote: โ†‘
February 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm
So I have to vent a bit. I'm at an invitational and finished my run. They said 10.5 m was the distance. I ran the first run and it was 80cm short! I over thought my adjustment thinking I must have counted wrong. Run my second run and end up 40cm short.

I spent hours getting my distances down so I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the judges if I could measure their mark. It was 11.165m!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 

They said sorry but everyone had the same conditions. Just can't believe the judges couldn't get the mark correct!
I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.
They also did that for Scrambler, 2017 nats.
woah, nats? Either way, though, you should be able to adjust after your first run so that your distance is good.
Captain of CPSO

Member of the Builder Cult

Assassinator 139 and 147
2021 events: Astronomy, Chem Lab, Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics
About Me!
RIP Indiana Flag GIF :(

Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Airco2020 » February 3rd, 2020, 8:27 am

CPScienceDude wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 6:28 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm
mnoga wrote: โ†‘
February 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm


I've seen it before. A few years ago at the Santa Clara Valley Regional, Electric Vehicle, the distance was supposedly 10.0, but it was actually 10.5. IMO, the supervisor or one of her assistants measured 10.0 meters from 0.5 meter time start line.
They also did that for Scrambler, 2017 nats.
woah, nats? Either way, though, you should be able to adjust after your first run so that your distance is good.
I just freaked out. It was so short on the first run that I assumed I did something wrong and only adjusted have the distance, dumb on my part. I'm going to measure the distance myself from now on and trust my setup!

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by fyuan483 » February 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm

hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!

Vortexx2
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Vortexx2 » February 6th, 2020, 1:19 pm

fyuan483 wrote: โ†‘
February 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm
hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!
yes
2020 Events: Code Busters, Designer Genes, Gravity Vehicle, Machines, PPP

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by fyuan483 » February 6th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Vortexx2 wrote: โ†‘
February 6th, 2020, 1:19 pm
fyuan483 wrote: โ†‘
February 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm
hi. are we allowed to just tape something such as a a wheel on the vehicle to add extra weight to it because it is the only way i found that makes the vehicle faster and travel further. thank you!
yes
thank you so much!

User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Dead
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by MTV<=>Operator » February 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Just clarifying, would wider wheels decrease the side-to-side offset of the vehicle? I'm considering replacing the T40s on my vehicle with T81s for the state competition because my vehicle tends to drift to the side in the direction of the floor tilt.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 827
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P HSN
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 263 times

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 8th, 2020, 8:02 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote: โ†‘
February 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm
Just clarifying, would wider wheels decrease the side-to-side offset of the vehicle? I'm considering replacing the T40s on my vehicle with T81s for the state competition because my vehicle tends to drift to the side in the direction of the floor tilt.
Can you clarify what you mean by floor tilt? Most floors are flat enough that they do not affect horizontal car drift.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17




Rate my tests!

Locked

Return to โ€œGravity Vehicle Cโ€

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests