Braking

ndkuma01

Re: Braking

Post by ndkuma01 »

CPScienceDude wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:08 pm
ndkuma01 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 5:54 pm I am completely new to the event and new to division C as I am now switching from B to C. And I was reading through the Scioly wiki to get an understanding and I read that the using a wingnut break can have some friction and I wanted to ask if you could use graphite on the nut to reduce friction? I may be getting it wrong be I am just curious and still trying to figure it out.
You certainly can, but I've personally never used it. The friction between two metal surfaces (the nut and the axle) really isn't that impactful to the overall speed of the vehicle. Plus, if your vehicle is too fast it will skid when braking, and you generally want to avoid skid altogether, as it will make it more challenging to accurately aim your vehicle.
Oh, got it. Thank you!
GodOfCars
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Braking

Post by GodOfCars »

CPScienceDude wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:08 pm
ndkuma01 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 5:54 pm I am completely new to the event and new to division C as I am now switching from B to C. And I was reading through the Scioly wiki to get an understanding and I read that the using a wingnut break can have some friction and I wanted to ask if you could use graphite on the nut to reduce friction? I may be getting it wrong be I am just curious and still trying to figure it out.
You certainly can, but I've personally never used it. The friction between two metal surfaces (the nut and the axle) really isn't that impactful to the overall speed of the vehicle. Plus, if your vehicle is too fast it will skid when braking, and you generally want to avoid skid altogether, as it will make it more challenging to accurately aim your vehicle.
That is true, but the only thing is, if you add friction to your wingnut intentionally, it may be extremely difficult to get it to run consistently. But if you're using the friction to slow it down until the wingnut braking kicks in, then that should be fine. However, now you may run into the risk of the car not even getting all the way to the target point.
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”