Wheels

EngineeredEvil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wheels

Post by EngineeredEvil »

Wheels, like many other parts of the gravity- powered vehicle, can make or break a vehicle's time and therefore it's score. This forum is for sharing ideas of the best wheel types in the Gravity Vehicle event.

Good luck! :geek: :arrow: :idea:
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Wheels

Post by windu34 »

Not much to discuss, Banebot has inventory again.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Tendan
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tendan »

The green 2 3/8" T40 wheels from Banebots are sold out. I checked about a month ago and they were also out of stock then. Does anyone know if they had stock at some point and I just missed out, or if it's just taking a while to restock? It seems that all other wheels are in stock.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Tendan wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:31 pm The green 2 3/8" T40 wheels from Banebots are sold out. I checked about a month ago and they were also out of stock then. Does anyone know if they had stock at some point and I just missed out, or if it's just taking a while to restock? It seems that all other wheels are in stock.
They're commonly out of stock, I suggest giving them a call to see when they'll be back in stock, if ever.

Check frequently for the wheels, they usually sell out fast, so when you see that they're available, buy more. My gravity wheels for instance are just extra buggy wheels I bought, which I never used
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

What is the difference in performance between the green one and the orange one? I know from the description one is soft tread and one is medium, but how do they vary in performance? Does the green one give more traction? How much better is it?

Second question: How do you mount the wheels to the threaded rods? Do you get one of the BaneBot T40 hubs and use 2 nuts to lock it into place?
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

xiangyu wrote: September 28th, 2019, 3:38 pm What is the difference in performance between the green one and the orange one? I know from the description one is soft tread and one is medium, but how do they vary in performance? Does the green one give more traction? How much better is it?

Second question: How do you mount the wheels to the threaded rods? Do you get one of the BaneBot T40 hubs and use 2 nuts to lock it into place?
1) I can't really feel a difference, I've used both in the past.

2) T40 hubs come with set screws which allow you to lock it into place on the rod.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Just a clarification: Would smaller wheels would be preferable to larger wheels in this event? They have less rotational inertia and a higher potential for accuracy, so I would think they would be better, but I don't know if I left out any other factors.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:12 am Just a clarification: Would smaller wheels would be preferable to larger wheels in this event? They have less rotational inertia and a higher potential for accuracy, so I would think they would be better, but I don't know if I left out any other factors.
People are getting way to caught up on the rotational inertia concept. It plays a VERY small role and is negligible for this event. Larger wheels will be smoother and more tolerant to imperfections in the floor - this outweighs those other concern imo. I have always used the 2 7/8", and think they are a good size. I could also see how larger wheels could be better as well.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

I use DVDs without the reflective stuff that I acquired from Doc Fizzix, the rubber adapters that he sells, and the tiny little brass axles that come with 'em. The threaded rod is slid into the brass tubes, with the wingnut on it. I don't think they'll hold up to the mass Imma need, but I'm gonna try that first. I might try having 8 wheels on the axles to spread out the load. Do y'all think that that would work? If not, do y'all think that gluing multiple disks together would help? I might try platters, if I can make 'em securely fit some form of axle...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

does banebots sell the shafts for the hubs or do people just buy them from a hardware store?

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”