Wheels

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 364 times
Been thanked: 510 times
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 1st, 2020, 5:25 pm

tree3 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:15 pm
Should one use compliant or normal banebots wheels?
Normal.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DigiStruc - 2nd '21, Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20

Rate my tests!

SluffAndRuff
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: November 27th, 2015, 8:26 am
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by SluffAndRuff » February 1st, 2020, 8:08 pm

I'm using the BaneBots T81 2-7/8" wheels (blue, 50A) and still getting a lott of skid (up to ~30 cm, but pretty variable). Granted, the vehicle is relatively fast and heavy (~1.4 kg). What can I do to reduce skidding? I know about rubber washers, but are there any other solutions? Thanks!
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''

sciencecat42
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: March 14th, 2016, 7:07 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by sciencecat42 » February 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm

SluffAndRuff wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:08 pm
I'm using the BaneBots T81 2-7/8" wheels (blue, 50A) and still getting a lott of skid (up to ~30 cm, but pretty variable). Granted, the vehicle is relatively fast and heavy (~1.4 kg). What can I do to reduce skidding? I know about rubber washers, but are there any other solutions? Thanks!
Clean wheels, clean floor, softer wheels, less speed.

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 364 times
Been thanked: 510 times
Contact:

Re: Wheels

Post by sciolyperson1 » February 1st, 2020, 9:25 pm

SluffAndRuff wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:08 pm
I'm using the BaneBots T81 2-7/8" wheels (blue, 50A) and still getting a lott of skid (up to ~30 cm, but pretty variable). Granted, the vehicle is relatively fast and heavy (~1.4 kg). What can I do to reduce skidding? I know about rubber washers, but are there any other solutions? Thanks!
Reduce the weight of your car if possible. Change wheels from blue to green, perhaps. Make sure the tiles/flooring is clean, and use paper towels to clean the wheels between runs.

Hope that helps.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director
'21: Gravity - Boomi - WICI - PPP - Cybersec

BEARSO: Gravity - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DigiStruc - 2nd '21, Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20

Rate my tests!

Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wheels

Post by Airco2020 » February 3rd, 2020, 1:42 pm

Has anyone tried tying the front and back axles together with a belt or oring to have the front wheels help in stopping and minimize skid? I'm thinking about trying it but wondered if anyone has done and what happened?

User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wheels

Post by MTV<=>Operator » February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 Regional), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 Regional), WS (10 Regional), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite
Vehicle Design / 1
WICI / 3
Circuits /--
Machines /--

Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wheels

Post by Airco2020 » February 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Green! Unless you're testing on concrete! I've been using the same green set since November and they will still be good for regionals in March.

User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Wheels

Post by MTV<=>Operator » February 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Airco2020 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Green! Unless you're testing on concrete! I've been using the same green set since November and they will still be good for regionals in March.
Great thanks! As for your previous question, I haven't tried that but I would imagine it could increase friction a good amount?
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 Regional), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 Regional), WS (10 Regional), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite
Vehicle Design / 1
WICI / 3
Circuits /--
Machines /--

sciencecat42
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: March 14th, 2016, 7:07 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheels

Post by sciencecat42 » February 18th, 2020, 11:42 am

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Why T81 as opposed to T40? Won't they just take more energy due to being heavier and lower your center of mass?

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Wheels

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » February 18th, 2020, 4:19 pm

sciencecat42 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:42 am
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Would it be better to get green or orange T81 wheels? I know green has better traction and could reduce skidding, but they also deteriorate faster. I don't want to have to replace the wheels before the state competition in early March.
Why T81 as opposed to T40? Won't they just take more energy due to being heavier and lower your center of mass?
Not necessarily always the case, test it out yourself and you'll see. (Can have many dependencies)
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Locked

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests