Triggering the Vehicle

gg19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Triggering the Vehicle

Post by gg19 »

What should I use to trigger the gravity vehicle?
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Triggering the Vehicle

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

gg19 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 5:27 pm What should I use to trigger the gravity vehicle?
I was thinking of using some sort of hook or claw mechanism that attaches to a loop on the back of the vehicle. It would be released by pushing the hook out of the loop or opening the claw with the pencil.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Lorant
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

gg19 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 5:27 pm What should I use to trigger the gravity vehicle?
There is the option of sticking the pencil in a loop of sorts on the vehicle and then pulling it out to release the vehicle, seeing as the rules permit that the pencil be part of the actuating mechanism.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

I'm using a gate latch and a spring
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
MTV<=>Operator

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I plan on using two hooks that are connected (forces the vehicle into alignment)
2017-2018
2018-2019
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

So using the pencil as part of the release mechanism is ok? At the Mira Loma Invitational I saw a few teams hang their GV off the pencil. I'm not sure if the wording in the rules indicates this is legal?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

mnoga wrote: January 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm So using the pencil as part of the release mechanism is ok? At the Mira Loma Invitational I saw a few teams hang their GV off the pencil. I'm not sure if the wording in the rules indicates this is legal?
Rule 5i. "The pencil may be used as all or part of the release mechanism".

But do note, also in that rule, "They may not touch.push the Vehicle, or the Ramp, to start it or hold it while actuating the release mechanism" so you may not, for example, use one hand to pull the pencil out while the other hand (or part of the same hand) applies counterpressure to the ramp.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

knightmoves wrote: January 13th, 2020, 9:56 am
mnoga wrote: January 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm So using the pencil as part of the release mechanism is ok? At the Mira Loma Invitational I saw a few teams hang their GV off the pencil. I'm not sure if the wording in the rules indicates this is legal?
Rule 5i. "The pencil may be used as all or part of the release mechanism".

But do note, also in that rule, "They may not touch.push the Vehicle, or the Ramp, to start it or hold it while actuating the release mechanism" so you may not, for example, use one hand to pull the pencil out while the other hand (or part of the same hand) applies counterpressure to the ramp.
Thx for the clarification.
MTV<=>Operator

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Lorant wrote: October 21st, 2019, 7:22 pm
There is the option of sticking the pencil in a loop of sorts on the vehicle and then pulling it out to release the vehicle, seeing as the rules permit that the pencil be part of the actuating mechanism.
When you stick a pencil through a loop, the pencil has to be able to stay in place and hold the vehicle without anyone holding it in ready-to-run configuration?
If so, how do you keep the pencil from slipping out? Or does the weight of the vehicle keep it in place?
2017-2018
2018-2019
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:32 pm When you stick a pencil through a loop, the pencil has to be able to stay in place and hold the vehicle without anyone holding it in ready-to-run configuration?
If so, how do you keep the pencil from slipping out? Or does the weight of the vehicle keep it in place?
The rules aren't quite as explicit about "has to be able to stay in place and hold the vehicle without anyone holding it" as they might be, but rule 3a does say "A release
mechanism must be included as part of the Ramp to hold the Vehicle in the ready-to-run configuration until triggered by the participants." 5i says that the pencil may be all or part of the mechanism. No rule says that the team members may be part of the mechanism.

Put that together, and I think you're right - the vehicle must stay in place without someone holding the pencil.

In the configuration you describe, the weight of the vehicle is usually sufficient to keep the pencil locked against whatever hole it's poked through.

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”