Ramp Creation

MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Ramp Creation

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

I was having trouble designing my ramp and I was wondering what types of methods you used on the production in you ramp, and I noticed that trying to make a very steep curve the wood would easily snap. So what would be the beneficial method for allowing you ramp material to bend, in this case, much more brittle material such as plywood? (And with the production through a CNC Machine is preferred)

Also, is there a benefit to having a steeper ramp with a curve to the floor right around 10 cm height, vs having a less steep ramp with slower exit velocity but definitely more accuracy, In short, are there any reasons to not make your ramp as steep as possible.

Thanks and any help is appreciated!
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Re: Ramp Creation

Post by CPScienceDude »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: October 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm I was having trouble designing my ramp and I was wondering what types of methods you used on the production in you ramp, and I noticed that trying to make a very steep curve the wood would easily snap. So what would be the beneficial method for allowing you ramp material to bend, in this case, much more brittle material such as plywood? (And with the production through a CNC Machine is preferred)

Also, is there a benefit to having a steeper ramp with a curve to the floor right around 10 cm height, vs having a less steep ramp with slower exit velocity but definitely more accuracy, In short, are there any reasons to not make your ramp as steep as possible.

So what I'm doing is making a wood frame and screwing sheet metal to the frame. The wood itself wont bend, just the sheet metal. As for the ramp, you might want to have the curve start a little higher. The stress on the vehicle if the curve is that tight would be tremendous. In addition to stress, the more violent transition may cause you to loose velocity. As for steepness, I have mine at about an 80* angle to the floor. This is to ensure the vehicle is in contact with the ramp at all times. Because with a vertical ramp you may run the risk of the vehicle's wheels disconnecting from the ramp. Take this advice with grain of salt, as this is my first time on a vehicle event, but I hope it helps.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

CPScienceDude wrote: October 16th, 2019, 1:36 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: October 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm I was having trouble designing my ramp and I was wondering what types of methods you used on the production in you ramp, and I noticed that trying to make a very steep curve the wood would easily snap. So what would be the beneficial method for allowing you ramp material to bend, in this case, much more brittle material such as plywood? (And with the production through a CNC Machine is preferred)

So what I'm doing is making a wood frame and screwing sheet metal to the frame. The wood itself wont bend, just the sheet metal. As for the ramp, you might want to have the curve start a little higher. The stress on the vehicle if the curve is that tight would be tremendous. In addition to stress, the more violent transition may cause you to loose velocity. As for steepness, I have mine at about an 80* angle to the floor. This is to ensure the vehicle is in contact with the ramp at all times. Because with a vertical ramp you may run the risk of the vehicle's wheels disconnecting from the ramp. Take this advice with grain of salt, as this is my first time on a vehicle event, but I hope it helps.
I don't think there would be as much stress on the vehicle as you described, even with a 2kg vehicle, as long as the curve is decently smooth and without bumps then it should be fine.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

If the ramp height is kept constant with different curves, shouldn't the exit velocity remain constant as well? Right now, I designed a ramp at a 75 degree angle with the ground and a curve with a radius of 35 cm. I haven't built it yet so I don't know if this is ideal or not.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Tendan
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tendan »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: October 17th, 2019, 5:12 pm

If the ramp height is kept constant with different curves, shouldn't the exit velocity remain constant as well? Right now, I designed a ramp at a 75 degree angle with the ground and a curve with a radius of 35 cm. I haven't built it yet so I don't know if this is ideal or not.
So long as there is a smooth transition to the floor, I wouldn't think speed should change very much.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
Soumil
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Soumil »

In regards to the dimensions of the ramp, how specific do you think the event supervisors will be?
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

Soumil wrote: November 5th, 2019, 8:05 pm In regards to the dimensions of the ramp, how specific do you think the event supervisors will be?
If you mean how lenient they will be with the dimension restrictions, it depends on the supervisor and level of competition, you rarely know beforehand how strictly you will be judged. In general, I would be half a centimeter below the limit at the least (in all directions), because it is far better to just avoid the chance of a dispute altogether at the cost of a fraction of a point than possibly having to deal with a rule dispute or an appeal.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

Tendan wrote: November 6th, 2019, 7:41 am
Soumil wrote: November 5th, 2019, 8:05 pm In regards to the dimensions of the ramp, how specific do you think the event supervisors will be?
If you mean how lenient they will be with the dimension restrictions, it depends on the supervisor and level of competition, you rarely know beforehand how strictly you will be judged. In general, I would be half a centimeter below the limit at the least (in all directions), because it is far better to just avoid the chance of a dispute altogether at the cost of a fraction of a point than possibly having to deal with a rule dispute or an appeal.
Your sig tho..... my friends are mad now lol
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

CPScienceDude wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:55 am
Tendan wrote: November 6th, 2019, 7:41 am
Your sig tho..... my friends are mad now lol
I'm also mad now, you made me make myself lose.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

Hi everyone,

I am using plywood support with a metal sheet for my ramp. However, I've noticed that the plywood tends to warp as time goes by which is affecting our vehicle consistency as we test over time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the wood from warping further? My coach said she saw something online about how painting the plywood would prevent it from warping further. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it work?
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”