Ramp Creation

MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ramp Creation

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

xiangyu wrote: November 15th, 2019, 9:38 am Hi everyone,

I am using plywood support with a metal sheet for my ramp. However, I've noticed that the plywood tends to warp as time goes by which is affecting our vehicle consistency as we test over time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the wood from warping further? My coach said she saw something online about how painting the plywood would prevent it from warping further. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it work?
I guess in depends of the type of warping. For example, if it is warping it can depend between bow, cook, kink, cup, or wind (SEE HERE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_warping). If it's a warp that's severe I wouldn't risk it and just make a new ramp, however if it's a small warp (such as cup warp) I would apply an epoxy resin (or paint if you're on a time crunch). However, if it a crook or a bow warp In would just go for a new ramp since the supports may negatively affect the ramp at the time of the competition (and when you're rebuilding it try to apply epoxy resin)
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
Tendan
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tendan »

xiangyu wrote: November 15th, 2019, 9:38 am Hi everyone,

I am using plywood support with a metal sheet for my ramp. However, I've noticed that the plywood tends to warp as time goes by which is affecting our vehicle consistency as we test over time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the wood from warping further? My coach said she saw something online about how painting the plywood would prevent it from warping further. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it work?
My guess is that the plywood is too thin, so it's slowly compressing as you run the car more. If this is the case, I would say that you give your current ramp a frame made of larger wood (i.e. 2x3's or 2x4's) to take the load off of the plywood, or you could make a completely new ramp with a frame of 2x3's, 2x4's, or something similar. Though I would try to figure out what's causing the warping first because my guess could be very wrong.

Also, if it does turn out that the warping is caused by water/humidity, painting the wood should help, just pick a paint that is labeled as weatherproof, waterproof, etc.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
annabelle0308
Has thanked: 0

Post by annabelle0308 »

Hello,
What's the cheapest material a ramp can be made of in a very short amount of time?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

annabelle0308 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 12:04 pm Hello,
What's the cheapest material a ramp can be made of in a very short amount of time?
wood would probably be the best option
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

annabelle0308 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 12:04 pm Hello,
Look in the discard wood pile at home Depot or Lowe's, theyrr usually thin and easy to bend. (And you can get it for free)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

Quick warning if you're working with sheet metal. It's sharp lol. Found that out the hard way. Dropped my ramp and as it was falling the edge of the sheet metal cut my hand open. oof.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

CPScienceDude wrote: November 26th, 2019, 5:18 pm Quick warning if you're working with sheet metal. It's sharp lol. Found that out the hard way. Dropped my ramp and as it was falling the edge of the sheet metal cut my hand open. oof.
Oh no! Ouch! Are you okay? Luckily my coach worked with the robotics team before and knows about this so we wore gloves. Yikes! :!: :!: :!:
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Is there any ideal thickness for plywood used for the ramp? Would .25" thick be sufficient? Also, I was thinking of using ABS sheets for the sides of the ramp so that I could cut them accurately with the CNC machine at my school, but I can't think of any reliable way to attach these to sheet metal (the ABS is about 6mm thick)
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0

Post by SluffAndRuff »

What's a good thickness for the sheet metal to build the ramp out of - something that's thin enough to work with easily but not too thin to be weak? Thanks!
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

SluffAndRuff wrote: November 30th, 2019, 5:18 pm What's a good thickness for the sheet metal to build the ramp out of - something that's thin enough to work with easily but not too thin to be weak? Thanks!
Go to your local lowes/store that has sheet metal and get a sense on site. I would go for the aluminum sheets as they are very flexible.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”