Size of Vehicle

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Size of Vehicle

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » October 25th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Hello fellow participants,

So I wanted to know what size (width and length) you guys were aiming for in the size of your car and what type of weight you may also aim in the building of the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, related to the weight factor I was wondering where the weight distribution should be in the car [towards the break (i.e. the front) or towards the back]. Any thoughts would also be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

MoMoney
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do"

User avatar
cheese
Member
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: April 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm
Division: C
Location: Wherever the cheese is
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by cheese » October 30th, 2019, 2:29 pm

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Hello fellow participants,

So I wanted to know what size (width and length) you guys were aiming for in the size of your car and what type of weight you may also aim in the building of the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, related to the weight factor I was wondering where the weight distribution should be in the car [towards the break (i.e. the front) or towards the back]. Any thoughts would also be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

MoMoney
There are many factors to take into account when decided your weight and size. Usually, a car that has a larger wheel base will be more stable, and potentially easier to drive straight.

For weight, you need to find the balance between being too heavy so that your vehicle has a hard time breaking, and being too light so that you don't have enough speed to get a good time.

Weight distribution is usually better to have on the breaks as to prevent skidding, but you also don't want the drive wheels to have zero traction because of the uneven distribution of weight.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not the Desert Southwest
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by Things2do » November 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm

cheese wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 2:29 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Hello fellow participants,

So I wanted to know what size (width and length) you guys were aiming for in the size of your car and what type of weight you may also aim in the building of the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, related to the weight factor I was wondering where the weight distribution should be in the car [towards the break (i.e. the front) or towards the back]. Any thoughts would also be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

MoMoney
Weight distribution is usually better to have on the breaks as to prevent skidding, but you also don't want the drive wheels to have zero traction because of the uneven distribution of weight.
By "drive wheels to have zero traction," do you mean that the weight should not be so far in front of the rear end as to have the back pop up off of the ramp? Otherwise, I must've been really out of it when I read the Rules. Which is quite possible...

As for size, I'm planning on using my long, sorta narrow Scrambler car with the weight about halfway between the middle and the front of the car, spread out a bit to lower the center of gravity.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

User avatar
CPScienceDude
Member
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Location: Crown Point High School
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by CPScienceDude » November 16th, 2019, 5:26 pm

My vehicle right now is 45 cm long and 20 cm wide. I'm planning of having my center of gravity more towards the back to gain more speed. Though, I will plan on having to move my center of gravity if necessary. Aiming for a weight of around 1500g.
Captain of CPSO
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics

Northridge/Regs/State
4n6: 10/1/x
GV: 1/2/x
Mach: 4/1/x
Orni: 4/2/x

Member of the Builder Cult
Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About Me!
Rate My Tests!

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by fyuan483 » January 13th, 2020, 2:42 pm

hi. i am looking at the rules and i’m not very understanding what “when the vehicle is placed flat on the floor, the dowel must be approximately perpendicular to the floor, extend to within 1.0 cm of the floor, and extend at least 20.0 cm above the floor”. do any of you know what this means?

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by knightmoves » January 15th, 2020, 1:10 pm

fyuan483 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 2:42 pm
hi. i am looking at the rules and i’m not very understanding what “when the vehicle is placed flat on the floor, the dowel must be approximately perpendicular to the floor, extend to within 1.0 cm of the floor, and extend at least 20.0 cm above the floor”. do any of you know what this means?
It means what it says.

- You must have a wooden dowel, which needs to be about 20cm long or longer.
- It must be vertical ("perpendicular to the floor") when the car is running on the floor.
- the bottom of the dowel must be within 1cm of the floor (don't touch the floor with your dowel, but it's got to be close to the floor because the ES will use this as the reference point on your vehicle)
- The top of the dowel must be at least 20.0 cm above the floor (ie the dowel is about 20cm long or longer)

fyuan483
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by fyuan483 » January 15th, 2020, 2:12 pm

oh ok. i got it. thank you!

User avatar
MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Dead
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by MTV<=>Operator » January 15th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Is it ok if my dowel is flush with the bottom of my vehicle? My vehicle is already less than 1 cm from the ground and I'm worried that if I move the dowel further down it will touch the ramp surface. The dowel is completely visible from the front of the vehicle.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018: Mousetrap, Hovercraft, Towers
2018-2019: Mousetrap (8th regional), Boomilever (3rd regional), Wright Stuff
2020 Events/YUSO/regional
Gravity Vehicle/9/5
Detector Building/8/7
Wright Stuff/--/10
Ping Pong Parachute/--/--

Vortexx2
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 8:17 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by Vortexx2 » January 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Is it ok if my dowel is flush with the bottom of my vehicle? My vehicle is already less than 1 cm from the ground and I'm worried that if I move the dowel further down it will touch the ramp surface. The dowel is completely visible from the front of the vehicle.
I think this is perfectly fine
2020 Events: Code Busters, Designer Genes, Gravity Vehicle, Machines, PPP

Airco2020
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Size of Vehicle

Post by Airco2020 » January 16th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Vortexx2 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Is it ok if my dowel is flush with the bottom of my vehicle? My vehicle is already less than 1 cm from the ground and I'm worried that if I move the dowel further down it will touch the ramp surface. The dowel is completely visible from the front of the vehicle.
I think this is perfectly fine
My only worry is that they use the bottom of the dowel to mark where you stop and they measure from there. As long as the people measuring can tell where the dowlel is it should be OK.

Post Reply

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest