Measuring Devices

Pranoob
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Measuring Devices

Post by Pranoob »

I need help on how to make sure the gravity vehicle stops at the right place.

Are we allowed to just start the vehicle at the end line and roll it back to the start line to set up a wingnut braking system?
Tendan
State: PA

Re: Measuring Devices

Post by Tendan »

Pranoob wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 3:39 pm I need help on how to make sure the gravity vehicle stops at the right place.

Are we allowed to just start the vehicle at the end line and roll it back to the start line to set up a wingnut braking system?
Per rule 5.g. you cannot roll the car on the track.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
eatablechief21
State: CA

Post by eatablechief21 »

Is buying a laser measuring device for testing a good investment.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

eatablechief21 wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 7:20 am Is buying a laser measuring device for testing a good investment.
Honestly probably not. High accuracy and precision is 100% achievable with just a wingnut braking system and some sort of alignment device. Personally, I use a right angle ruler to make sure the end of my ramp is perfectly perpendicular to the track.
Pranoob wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 3:39 pm I need help on how to make sure the gravity vehicle stops at the right place.

No that is not allowed. For a wingnut braking system, I find it easiest to just test a bunch of known amount of axle rotations, then measure how far your vehicle goes, then make a line of best-fit equation. Hope that makes sense. If not shoot me a PM and I'll try my best to answer any questions!
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

eatablechief21 wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 7:20 am Is buying a laser measuring device for testing a good investment.
It's not really necessary - you're measuring the distance along the floor. Doing that with a normal tape measure is easy - your floor is obviously free of obstructions, because your car is traveling on it.

They're useful enough toys, and don't take up much space, so if you've got lots of spare money and an interest in useful gadgets, you'll find use for one. But it's completely unnecessary for this.
GodOfCars
State: IL

Post by GodOfCars »

Based on my understanding of rule 5c, this is illegal and could bring you down to tier 2. Correct me if I'm wrong.
These users thanked the author GodOfCars for the post:
sciolyperson1 (July 12th, 2020, 8:45 am)
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”