Scores

Raesow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by Raesow »

Tendan wrote: December 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Raesow wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:44 pm The other day, I had the best run I've ever had. Time of about 3.5 seconds, distance of about 10.0cm. I was wondeirng how competetive this score would be (about 23.5) at a regional/invitational level. Obviously this can and will be improved with the 2 months of testing time I have until my regional, but the invitational is coming up in less than a month. Just curious to hear some input from others doing the same event.
If you wouldn't mind me asking, what state are you in and what invitational are you referencing? I ask because what constitutes a competitive score can vary quite a lot depending on the state (for regionals) or the invitational you are competing in. I would say a 23.5 is probably a medaling score at most invitationals, so long as there aren't several powerhouse schools. That being said, I have no idea what scores are like outside the Northeast.
Now that I think about it, we do have quite a lot of top tier schools at our invitational. New York teams including Colombia, so... tough competition. However, in the past years we have medaled often in our build events even as the small school we are so I have high hopes.
Tendan
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Tendan »

Raesow wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Tendan wrote: December 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Raesow wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:44 pm The other day, I had the best run I've ever had. Time of about 3.5 seconds, distance of about 10.0cm. I was wondeirng how competetive this score would be (about 23.5) at a regional/invitational level. Obviously this can and will be improved with the 2 months of testing time I have until my regional, but the invitational is coming up in less than a month. Just curious to hear some input from others doing the same event.
If you wouldn't mind me asking, what state are you in and what invitational are you referencing? I ask because what constitutes a competitive score can vary quite a lot depending on the state (for regionals) or the invitational you are competing in. I would say a 23.5 is probably a medaling score at most invitationals, so long as there aren't several powerhouse schools. That being said, I have no idea what scores are like outside the Northeast.
Now that I think about it, we do have quite a lot of top tier schools at our invitational. New York teams including Colombia, so... tough competition. However, in the past years we have medaled often in our build events even as the small school we are so I have high hopes.
Do you happen to be referring to MIT? Because if so, a medal there would be extremely good.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Tendan wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm At our latest competition (LISO) I got a time of 3.31 seconds and was 2.9 cm off-target for a score of 9.11. If you don't mind sharing scores, how would a score like that stack up nationally right now?
4.0cm, 2nd place. Congrats on beating me :o

A score of around 10 would medal at nats.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

sciolyperson1 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Tendan wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm At our latest competition (LISO) I got a time of 3.31 seconds and was 2.9 cm off-target for a score of 9.11. If you don't mind sharing scores, how would a score like that stack up nationally right now?

I thought the nats medaling score might be lower. I've seen several other teams who are already getting scores under 15 reliably.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
lavarball

Post by lavarball »

Tendan wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:26 am
sciolyperson1 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I thought the nats medaling score might be lower. I've seen several other teams who are already getting scores under 15 reliably.
Im thinking 100% 6th at nats will be no more than 7
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020
Penn State University 2020-2024
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

Any scores from recent invitationals?
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

I was 8 cm on run and got 3rd at the Clark Invitational. 2.8(?) seconds.
Keep on going :)
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

We have yet to run in a competition, but will be running at the Mira Loma Invitational this weekend. Our home floor testing indicates an average score of around 15, best of two runs. Every once in a while we'll score below 5.0 landing nearly on the target point. Our run times are approx. 2.6 seconds.

We find that horizontal drift is the biggest concern as we can be left or right or the target point 10cm in a worst case scenario.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Distance 12m, first place with distance of 4.8cm.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Mira Loma Invitational Top 3 Scores (estimated):

1. Troy: 18.9
2. Mountain View: 19.6
3. Albany: 28.4