Scores

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Scores

Post by Unome »

I'm a little curious about what kind of scores people are looking at around now. I've been hearing scores that sound quite low (sub-5, assuming my information is accurate).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scores

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote: November 9th, 2019, 7:00 pm I'm a little curious about what kind of scores people are looking at around now. I've been hearing scores that sound quite low (sub-5, assuming my information is accurate).
Fastest I can figure you can go without crazy skid is ~3 seconds, so 1 cm off is sub 5. I wouldn't say its not possible, but highly unlikely.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Otkrlj
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Otkrlj »

Getting scores of 8 to 10 here with 1 cm ish off. But thats without adding weight. Probabilly 4 to 5 ish once we make it weigh a desent amount.
2020 events: codebusters, towers, gravity vehicle, ping pong paracute 8-) 8-)
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Otkrlj wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:02 pm Getting scores of 8 to 10 here with 1 cm ish off. But thats without adding weight. Probabilly 4 to 5 ish once we make it weigh a desent amount.
Are you getting consistent 1 cm for each run, or is 1cm your record?
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Otkrlj

Post by Otkrlj »

sciolyperson1 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Otkrlj wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:02 pm Getting scores of 8 to 10 here with 1 cm ish off. But thats without adding weight. Probabilly 4 to 5 ish once we make it weigh a desent amount.
For most runs 1 to 2 cm. Depends on the distance.
Lorant
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

Otkrlj wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:05 pm
Is that regions, states, or national intervals?
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
Otkrlj

Post by Otkrlj »

Lorant wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Regionals. With our breaking system though, it shold get simular results at state and nat intervals with enough testing. Hopefully :oops:
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Otkrlj wrote: November 12th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Regionals. With our breaking system though, it shold get simular results at state and nat intervals with enough testing. Hopefully :oops:
From a design standpoint, how are you able to get this accuracy this early in the season? Taking into account horizontal drift, as well as flooring and ramp inconsistencies (ramp can't be perfectly flush with the floor), it is almost impossible to get a perfect horizontal distance. Compared to other vehicle events such as EV or Mousetrap, the wheels are not being continuously driven throughout the duration of the run; rather, only the first propulsion from the ramp is given as the energy for the car. As such, drift occurs a lot more at farther distances, when the car slows down and the wheels do not skid as much.

Obviously different, but both my nats medalling buggies got consistently 5cm off, and never up to 1-2cm off every single run consistently. Our first buggy, which had to meet the centerline bonus, had to be carefully tuned in order to go perfectly straight.

Any advice about how to get this consistency would be appreciated.
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

Imagine having built your ramp and vehicle already I wish I have already :(
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Otkrlj

Post by Otkrlj »

sciolyperson1 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Otkrlj wrote: November 12th, 2019, 5:40 pm

From a design standpoint, how are you able to get this accuracy this early in the season? Taking into account horizontal drift, as well as flooring and ramp inconsistencies (ramp can't be perfectly flush with the floor), it is almost impossible to get a perfect horizontal distance. Compared to other vehicle events such as EV or Mousetrap, the wheels are not being continuously driven throughout the duration of the run; rather, only the first propulsion from the ramp is given as the energy for the car. As such, drift occurs a lot more at farther distances, when the car slows down and the wheels do not skid as much.

Obviously different, but both my nats medalling buggies got consistently 5cm off, and never up to 1-2cm off every single run consistently. Our first buggy, which had to meet the centerline bonus, had to be carefully tuned in order to go perfectly straight.

Any advice about how to get this consistency would be appreciated.
For me horizontal drift is not really an issue. I have system in which i can turn the vehicle so i can just tune to horizontal drift. When it it comes to the ramp and the floor, that more just luck. My ramp is not even a curve (had to rush it for the invitational this Saturday.) Its just a 55 degree ramp. Drift is always a factor though. When i say i get 1 to 2 cm constantly, i mean probability 7 out of 10 runs, and there is no way to truly make it perfect. I think what made it work for me was the fact that i completely ignored the factor of time and only focused on accuracy, a.k.a .why my vehicle is so slow and a bit of luck too. When it comes to buggy, i know nothing about the event, but with how the curve works (if theirs a curve, just remember seeing a video with one) and human error placing the tape, those could explain it. One other thing is that I have only ever tested it on one track so I would probability get a worse score on another track due to human error and as you said flooring inconsistencies. Well see this Saturday.

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”