mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Scores

Post by mnoga »

vehicleguy wrote: February 4th, 2020, 11:57 am
lavarball wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:54 am
Airco2020 wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:49 am

That's crazy! I've got more work to do! For the top teams it's now all about speed.
They made this event way too simple so there really isnt even a skill gap anymore. You see the most random teams winning just because of the RNG behind it. They might as well switch it's spot with ppp and make it an inquiry. big dumb
Yeah I've been noticing this big time. I also think the event is way to easy to get high scores. I wouldn't be surprised if top 20 scores at nats are all under 10 bc of how consistent you can get these vehicles.
I don't know if National Committee has ever changed the rules mid-season, but because everyone is so accurate, maybe multiple the time component by something like ten (10). So let's say car 1 runs in 3.5 seconds and ends up 2cm away, and car 2 runs in 2.5 seconds and ends up 4cm away then scores would be as follows:

car 1: (2 x 2) + (3.5 X 10) = 39
car 2: (4 x 2) + (2.5 x 10) = 33

In effect you get a bonus for dropping the car from a greater height.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

mnoga wrote: February 7th, 2020, 7:07 pm
lavarball wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:54 am

They made this event way too simple so there really isnt even a skill gap anymore. You see the most random teams winning just because of the RNG behind it. They might as well switch it's spot with ppp and make it an inquiry. big dumb
Yeah I've been noticing this big time. I also think the event is way to easy to get high scores. I wouldn't be surprised if top 20 scores at nats are all under 10 bc of how consistent you can get these vehicles.
I don't know if National Committee has ever changed the rules mid-season, but because everyone is so accurate, maybe multiple the time component by something like ten (10). So let's say car 1 runs in 3.5 seconds and ends up 2cm away, and car 2 runs in 2.5 seconds and ends up 4cm away then scores would be as follows:

Wasn't the bonus in the past for dropping the car from a lower height?
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dragonfruit35 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm

It's very interesting to hear that this event is considered easy. I do wonder how scores will be at Nationals, and how this compares to 2012 and 2013.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

Unome wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:41 am

It's very interesting to hear that this event is considered easy. I do wonder how scores will be at Nationals, and how this compares to 2012 and 2013.
I don't believe this is an easy event, especially if your school or team is not as well-resourced.
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

I do not know, but in our testing, we have found accuracy is easier to achieve at a lower drop height.
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

mnoga wrote: February 8th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I do not know, but in our testing, we have found accuracy is easier to achieve at a lower drop height.
I mean, that makes sense - you'd be going slower, so there would be less skidding. If the speed were worth more (maybe not 10x but 5x or so) having a ramp height bonus where lower is better would force you to make a compromise between speed and bonus score, plus minimizing skidding, which at least sounds more complicated than where we're at right now.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Volps
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Volps »

Target Distance: 9.5m
Time: 3.5 sec
Distance: 16cm
Score is 35-36 ish, haven't seen the official results yet
Somehow got 8th at the UM Invitational
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Volps wrote: February 17th, 2020, 2:24 pm Target Distance: 9.5m
Time: 3.5 sec
Distance: 16cm
Score is 35-36 ish, haven't seen the official results yet
Somehow got 8th at the UM Invitational
How was the floor? Was it a smooth gym wood floor recently refinished or perhaps tile?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Tendan wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:53 am They could also do a weight bonus, but that might not completely fix the problems with luck. I was also thinking something similar to previous years like fitting between two cans, or maybe something outlandish like a three-wheel bonus or having to go backward or turning, of which the latter two might be near impossible for this event.
Backwards would be cool. You could totally do it - wind some sort of spring as the car travels, car stops, and then the spring unwinds to send the car backwards. Could be a bonus - car has to go 10m (or 12m) into an "end zone", stop, and reverse to the mark. If you don't go in the end zone there's a 500 point penalty or something.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

knightmoves wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:29 pm
Tendan wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:53 am They could also do a weight bonus, but that might not completely fix the problems with luck. I was also thinking something similar to previous years like fitting between two cans, or maybe something outlandish like a three-wheel bonus or having to go backward or turning, of which the latter two might be near impossible for this event.
Backwards would be cool. You could totally do it - wind some sort of spring as the car travels, car stops, and then the spring unwinds to send the car backwards. Could be a bonus - car has to go 10m (or 12m) into an "end zone", stop, and reverse to the mark. If you don't go in the end zone there's a 500 point penalty or something.
I would do something like (-1)*distance past the endzone in cm added to your score.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”