Scores

lavarball
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Scores

Post by lavarball »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 6:28 pm You have to say though, the score curve was interesting for the invitational since around 10cm would get you around 15th place there, but probably top 10 in other invitationals. But to be fair, if you were used to a good floor, you weren't getting the distance you expected there, since the floor was a piece of garbage; mediocre being a complement.
Floor seemed perfectly fine to me
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020
Penn State University 2020-2024
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

lavarball wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:54 am
Airco2020 wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:49 am
sdececco wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:50 am

I was sitting behind the team that got 6th place at MIT and they said there raw score was an 8.6
That's crazy! I've got more work to do! For the top teams it's now all about speed.
They made this event way too simple so there really isnt even a skill gap anymore. You see the most random teams winning just because of the RNG behind it. They might as well switch it's spot with ppp and make it an inquiry. big dumb
Yeah I've been noticing this big time. I also think the event is way to easy to get high scores. I wouldn't be surprised if top 20 scores at nats are all under 10 bc of how consistent you can get these vehicles.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

vehicleguy wrote: February 4th, 2020, 11:57 am

That's crazy! I've got more work to do! For the top teams it's now all about speed.
They made this event way too simple so there really isnt even a skill gap anymore. You see the most random teams winning just because of the RNG behind it. They might as well switch it's spot with ppp and make it an inquiry. big dumb
Yeah I've been noticing this big time. I also think the event is way to easy to get high scores. I wouldn't be surprised if top 20 scores at nats are all under 10 bc of how consistent you can get these vehicles.
I wonder if they'll add some sort of height bonus next year.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Tendan
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tendan »

CPScienceDude wrote: February 4th, 2020, 12:06 pm

They could also do a weight bonus, but that might not completely fix the problems with luck. I was also thinking something similar to previous years like fitting between two cans, or maybe something outlandish like a three-wheel bonus or having to go backward or turning, of which the latter two might be near impossible for this event.
Last edited by Tendan on February 6th, 2020, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

Accidentally posted twice.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Tendan wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:53 am
CPScienceDude wrote: February 4th, 2020, 12:06 pm
They could also do a weight bonus, but that might not completely fix the problems with luck. I was also thinking something similar to previous years like fitting between two cans, or maybe something outlandish like a three-wheel bonus or having to go backward or turning, of which the latter two might be near impossible for this event.
Yea, I don't think there's a reasonable way to have a vehicle turn unless with a second set of guiding rails/wheels. (A car can't turn on a curved track)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

I agree that this event is relatively easy to score well in, but 20 teams under 10 seems a bit excessive... I'm guessing maybe top 12 or so, and then top ~25-35 under 20.
sciolyperson1 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:14 am Yea, I don't think there's a reasonable way to have a vehicle turn unless with a second set of guiding rails/wheels. (A car can't turn on a curved track)
Couldn't you just aim the ramp one way and the axle of the vehicle in the opposite direction? (i.e. the vehicle would start out going right because the ramp is aimed right [would still have to be behind the start line] and then have one of the axles adjusted so that it would tend left and eventually make its way back to the centerline?)
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

dragonfruit35 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:20 am

I agree that this event is relatively easy to score well in, but 20 teams under 10 seems a bit excessive... I'm guessing maybe top 12 or so, and then top ~25-35 under 20.
sciolyperson1 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:14 am Yea, I don't think there's a reasonable way to have a vehicle turn unless with a second set of guiding rails/wheels. (A car can't turn on a curved track)
Couldn't you just aim the ramp one way and the axle of the vehicle in the opposite direction? (i.e. the vehicle would start out going right because the ramp is aimed right [would still have to be behind the start line] and then have one of the axles adjusted so that it would tend left and eventually make its way back to the centerline?)
The wheels wouldn't rest flat on the ramp when going down the curve. For events like scrambler, even if it's curved the car starts flat on the ground (with the ramp angled) so it isn't an issue.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
lavarball

Post by lavarball »

I feel like they could have done things like height score, speed being worth more, offset points, or even some bonuses that they could add. The event is way too simple this year.
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020
Penn State University 2020-2024
Tendan

Post by Tendan »

sciolyperson1 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:03 am
dragonfruit35 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:20 am
The wheels wouldn't rest flat on the ramp when going down the curve. For events like scrambler, even if it's curved the car starts flat on the ground (with the ramp angled) so it isn't an issue.
I guess it might work if you had three wheels, but I would question the reliability of three wheels going down a ramp like that.

You could also make the chassis so that it could flex, but only in such a way that all four wheels will rest on the ground, causing no steering changes. I accidentally built my buggy from two years ago like that, and I had no trouble with alignment.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Machines
~ Ping-Pong Parachute

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”