Gravity Vehicle 20-21

Lorant
Division: C
State: FL

Gravity Vehicle 20-21

Post by Lorant »

I know there is still a major debate over what aspects of the rules are being kept next year, but I'm still interested in hearing what others would like to see in this event next year, if the rules were to change.

Personally, I think a really interesting and fun rule change could be a target line for a bonus and then a vehicle target behind it. The layout could be similar to Mousetrap two years ago, where teams have to cross a line, in this case most likely a photogates, for a bonus, and in doing so store enough potential energy in something like a rubber band, that the vehicle would begin to roll backwards and hit a vehicle target as usual. Since most competitions used photogates this year, they are likely to be even more common next year especially at major comps, testing the vehicle would be a lot more interesting and it would carry on the loose tradition of 2nd year builds incorporating a bonus.

That is my though for possible rules changes, I am not particularly fond of the curving proposal because I think it's a bit boring, but I am interested in hearing others thoughs on this topic.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Gravity Vehicle 20-21

Post by sciolyperson1 »

As many teams have extra time (no winding mousetraps, no setting up a launcher, no batteries) it would be interesting to have more than 1 target points - perhaps three. Teams would be given the same time (8 minutes) to complete 3 runs. The distances can be chosen between 9m-12m vertically, but in addition, plus/minus 0.5 meters to either side. This emphasizes aiming over luck. This, competitors can use the same ramp and car as they did last year, but will need to learn how to angle the ramp.

The score could be the sum of the best two scoring runs.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Lorant

Post by Lorant »

sciolyperson1 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm As many teams have extra time (no winding mousetraps, no setting up a launcher, no batteries) it would be interesting to have more than 1 target points - perhaps three. Teams would be given the same time (8 minutes) to complete 3 runs. The distances can be chosen between 9m-12m vertically, but in addition, plus/minus 0.5 meters to either side. This emphasizes aiming over luck. This, competitors can use the same ramp and car as they did last year, but will need to learn how to angle the ramp.

That sounds really interesting, perhaps requiring 3 runs, aimed at 3 different targets and taking the average of the two best runs, thus allowing for the margin which is always present in vehicle events. But we have to bear in mind that thant teams could just move their ramps to the side +-0.5m, which is legal under the present rules, unless there are changes made to prevent that.

Do you have any ideas for bonuses because 2nd year build often include some fun bonus.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Incomplete Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Lorant wrote: March 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm As many teams have extra time (no winding mousetraps, no setting up a launcher, no batteries) it would be interesting to have more than 1 target points - perhaps three. Teams would be given the same time (8 minutes) to complete 3 runs. The distances can be chosen between 9m-12m vertically, but in addition, plus/minus 0.5 meters to either side. This emphasizes aiming over luck. This, competitors can use the same ramp and car as they did last year, but will need to learn how to angle the ramp.

That sounds really interesting, perhaps requiring 3 runs, aimed at 3 different targets and taking the average of the two best runs, thus allowing for the margin which is always present in vehicle events. But we have to bear in mind that thant teams could just move their ramps to the side +-0.5m, which is legal under the present rules, unless there are changes made to prevent that.

Do you have any ideas for bonuses because 2nd year build often include some fun bonus.
Moving ramps does not help and is not accurate.

A potential bonus could be getting the car within 15cm to the target for all three runs. Perhaps, it could be setting up a launch and launching within 2 minutes of the beginning of the timer. It could also be an optional fourth target which could be done if the team has time.

Run Score = 2 x (distance in cm) + time (seconds)
Lowest two scores out of the three runs.
Bonus: (20-distance in cm).
Total Score = Best Run Score + 2nd Best Run Score - Bonus

Ex.
Run 1: 5 cm off, 3 seconds.
Run 2: 7 cm off, 3 seconds.
Run 3. 1 cm off, 3 seconds.
Bonus: 8 cm off.

Run 1 score: 13
Run 2 score: 17
Run 3 score: 5

Total Score = 5 + 13 - 8 = 10.

This eliminates much of the luck-based aspects of the event, and allows teams to fully test their car to its potential. Teams will easily have enough time to get 3 launches done. The bonus is a fun addition that will benefit those which test their devices well enough.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post (total 3):
vehicleguy (March 12th, 2020, 6:05 am) • MTV<=>Operator (March 12th, 2020, 2:10 pm) • CPScienceDude (June 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Lorant

Post by Lorant »

Well this is just great. I typed up a whole multi paragraph length response, accidentally reloaded the page, and in frantically trying to reload all the page and submit, i lost all my text and ended up posting yours three times. This is me giving up typing my idea up. Very sorry for those three posts, the forum is not letting me delete or edit them.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Incomplete Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

This may be true at invitational and state tournaments, but I have definitely seen some regionals where teams ran out of time doing 2 runs. It is extremely unlikely the rules will shift to allowing more than 2 runs.

I think the most likely bonus is either a curve or adding a bonus for having a lighter vehicle (certain number of bonus points per gram under the max)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Lorant

Post by Lorant »

windu34 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:28 am

This may be true at invitational and state tournaments, but I have definitely seen some regionals where teams ran out of time doing 2 runs. It is extremely unlikely the rules will shift to allowing more than 2 runs.

I think the most likely bonus is either a curve or adding a bonus for having a lighter vehicle (certain number of bonus points per gram under the max)
What do you think about giving a bonus for crossing a photogate that is past the vehicle target point, forcing elite teams to build advanced vehicles that can change direction (with a rubber band for example) but not penalizing more novice teams that only have the resources to build one directional vehicle
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Incomplete Userpage
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Lorant wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

What do you think about giving a bonus for crossing a photogate that is past the vehicle target point, forcing elite teams to build advanced vehicles that can change direction (with a rubber band for example) but not penalizing more novice teams that only have the resources to build one directional vehicle
Probably too radical of a change to current rules and vehicles, although ramps would be ok IMO.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

mnoga wrote: March 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm
Lorant wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

Probably too radical of a change to current rules and vehicles, although ramps would be ok IMO.
I guess on every situation in depends, regarding on whether or not you have ever made such a vehicle or not, since if you've not done it; it looks tricky but once you understand the tricks it can also become easy. However, it will be the national ES's decision on what to do for the event for next year, since they're supposed to stay the same.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I like the sound of all of the above ideas, but in reality considering nothing was supposed to be changed in the first place, if they do make a change it likely wouldn't be something as radical as reversing or angled runs. I could see a ramp height bonus, a bonus run, or maybe curving because those things would likely only require small modifications to the already existing devices.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”