Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Gravity Vehicle 20-21

Post by windu34 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:15 pm
mnoga wrote: March 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm
Lorant wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

What do you think about giving a bonus for crossing a photogate that is past the vehicle target point, forcing elite teams to build advanced vehicles that can change direction (with a rubber band for example) but not penalizing more novice teams that only have the resources to build one directional vehicle
Probably too radical of a change to current rules and vehicles, although ramps would be ok IMO.
I guess on every situation in depends, regarding on whether or not you have ever made such a vehicle or not, since if you've not done it; it looks tricky but once you understand the tricks it can also become easy. However, it will be the national ES's decision on what to do for the event for next year, since they're supposed to stay the same.
Going "backwards" similar to MTV last year has been a topic of discussion for gravity vehicle among the national committee
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

windu34 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:21 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:15 pm
mnoga wrote: March 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Probably too radical of a change to current rules and vehicles, although ramps would be ok IMO.
I guess on every situation in depends, regarding on whether or not you have ever made such a vehicle or not, since if you've not done it; it looks tricky but once you understand the tricks it can also become easy. However, it will be the national ES's decision on what to do for the event for next year, since they're supposed to stay the same.
Going "backwards" similar to MTV last year has been a topic of discussion for gravity vehicle among the national committee
Not that I've tried this, but perhaps just running a curved path around a can similar to a few years ago in the Scrambler event, might make accuracy significantly more challenging. I still like the idea (also) of multiplying time by a factor of at least 10 so the best combination of speed and accuracy wins the day.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

mnoga wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm Not that I've tried this, but perhaps just running a curved path around a can similar to a few years ago in the Scrambler event, might make accuracy significantly more challenging. I still like the idea (also) of multiplying time by a factor of at least 10 so the best combination of speed and accuracy wins the day.
Following a curved path with the curved launch ramp is a little tricky. Plus, backwards looks cooler. Ramping up the speed score would make it relevant, but would it also make it more random? (if people go for speed, and then hit a random spot somewhere near the target)
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

knightmoves wrote: March 16th, 2020, 10:02 am
mnoga wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm Not that I've tried this, but perhaps just running a curved path around a can similar to a few years ago in the Scrambler event, might make accuracy significantly more challenging. I still like the idea (also) of multiplying time by a factor of at least 10 so the best combination of speed and accuracy wins the day.
Following a curved path with the curved launch ramp is a little tricky. Plus, backwards looks cooler. Ramping up the speed score would make it relevant, but would it also make it more random? (if people go for speed, and then hit a random spot somewhere near the target)
I strongly feel that a curved path is a fun, yet doable and competitive aspect that could be added to the event. However, I feel that under-prepared individuals and teams will be at a disadvantage if they didn't see how this was previously done. I guess it's really up to the rule makers though, and what they feel is an appropriate rule change.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

Just starting next year at this event and it looks fun!

I would guess changing angles might make people start over on their ramps who built max dimensions (unless angling it is ok). And going backwards may force people to start over on their cars. And its already a MTV thing.

Adding a bonus would be fun. I liked the idea of a lighter car bonus.

There has been centerline bonus's in other vehicle events but I doubt that would provide much of a challenge for most who have their vehicle going straight.

Maybe crazy but a variation to previous multitarget suggestions... and would require a bit more skill.

-Provide 2 target distances.
-Max of 3 runs.
-competitors can choose which target they want to attempt twice and which they want to attempt once. But would also allow them to shoot at each just 1 attempt if that is all they have time for during their 8 minutes.

Score (using the shortest distance score achieved to both targets):

(time 1 + time 2) x (distance 1 + distance 2)

If a competor only attempts 1 target (1 or 2 times), they are tiered.

Time 1 x distance 1
GodOfCars
State: IL

Post by GodOfCars »

builder83 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 8:40 am Just starting next year at this event and it looks fun!

I would guess changing angles might make people start over on their ramps who built max dimensions (unless angling it is ok). And going backwards may force people to start over on their cars. And its already a MTV thing.

There has been centerline bonus's in other vehicle events but I doubt that would provide much of a challenge for most who have their vehicle going straight.

Maybe crazy but a variation to previous multitarget suggestions... and would require a bit more skill.

-Max of 3 runs.
-competitors can choose which target they want to attempt twice and which they want to attempt once. But would also allow them to shoot at each just 1 attempt if that is all they have time for during their 8 minutes.

Time 1 x distance 1
In that case, there would be no possible way to get tiered. Say, for example, target 1 is at 9 m and target 2 is at 11m. If the car stops within 5 cm of the 9m target twice (and they don't have time for a third run), they could just claim that they were going for the 11m target the second run and just take a huge toll on their distance score. Right?
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
builder83
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

GodOfCars wrote: March 18th, 2020, 4:24 pm
builder83 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 8:40 am Just starting next year at this event and it looks fun!

-Max of 3 runs.

Time 1 x distance 1
In that case, there would be no possible way to get tiered. Say, for example, target 1 is at 9 m and target 2 is at 11m. If the car stops within 5 cm of the 9m target twice (and they don't have time for a third run), they could just claim that they were going for the 11m target the second run and just take a huge toll on their distance score. Right?
Good point. I suppose one would have to specify what target they are aiming for prior to the run.
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I really hope they do add some sort of bonus, but the words "tweak" and "adjustment" don't imply that any major changes will be made.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
GodOfCars
State: IL

Post by GodOfCars »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 19th, 2020, 8:31 am I really hope they do add some sort of bonus, but the words "tweak" and "adjustment" don't imply that any major changes will be made.
I don't expect them to make any major changes. They did mention that they wanted to make sure teams can still use the same devices. Because of this, I would say that they might not changes such as making the car reversible or curve the path. But we never know.
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

GodOfCars wrote: March 19th, 2020, 2:20 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote: March 19th, 2020, 8:31 am I really hope they do add some sort of bonus, but the words "tweak" and "adjustment" don't imply that any major changes will be made.
I don't expect them to make any major changes. They did mention that they wanted to make sure teams can still use the same devices. Because of this, I would say that they might not changes such as making the car reversible or curve the path. But we never know.
I'm pretty sure this is true, but you can never be sure with events like this.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”