Tall
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Tall » February 6th, 2020, 5:57 am

Chameleon02 wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 1:29 pm
So I have a question for you guys, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have been achieving moderate success with the tower chimney or box beam design and plan on pursuing it for the rest of the season. However, I had a question about the height of the box beam. I have tried various heights, from 2-3cm, but have yet to hold full. How tall are you guys making the chimneys (looking at it from the side view when attached to the wall). I would love some feedback or even a range. I have been using four 3/32x pieces for my box beam, and brace it at eight intervals. The weight is usually around 12-14 grams. Capped at 13kg for loading, which is frustrating me. It always fails from the beam buckling or collapsing, and I do not think I need any more bracing intervals. Tension pieces are strong.
You may want to cut down the box length and increase the base length to help distribute the load like the transmission tower below.
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-light ... 55934.html

Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 » February 6th, 2020, 6:26 am

Tall wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:57 am
Chameleon02 wrote:
So I have a question for you guys, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have been achieving moderate success with the tower chimney or box beam design and plan on pursuing it for the rest of the season. However, I had a question about the height of the box beam. I have tried various heights, from 2-3cm, but have yet to hold full. How tall are you guys making the chimneys (looking at it from the side view when attached to the wall). I would love some feedback or even a range. I have been using four 3/32x pieces for my box beam, and brace it at eight intervals. The weight is usually around 12-14 grams. Capped at 13kg for loading, which is frustrating me. It always fails from the beam buckling or collapsing, and I do not think I need any more bracing intervals. Tension pieces are strong.
You may want to cut down the box length and increase the base length to help distribute the load like the transmission tower below.
I believe that is a slightly different design and while possibly promising, I don't want to try that at this time lol.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » February 6th, 2020, 8:19 am

Chameleon02 wrote:
More bracing and thicker compression beams
Tall wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:57 am
I've done the force simulations, this design isn't as efficient as other tower chimney designs.
nnaya wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Yes 4 main segments with cross bracing. Top and bottom of the tower when the boom is hanging on the hook, are parallel to each other, as well as to the floor. Left and Right are angled from base to the loading block like a tower. Is that called a tower chimney? :?:
Bracing on sides and top are about 2 cm apart. I build it on a jig. Thank you.
The design you are currently using should be enough for full load (how's your build quality?). What height is your whole compression tower?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

PayalParikh

Post by PayalParikh » February 10th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Hi, I have a question if anyone can help us with.

The base of our boomilever always comes from both the tension bars attach point. Its kind of glue failure. It does not break, the whole base pops out. Our whole boomilever stays intact most of the time, this is mostly our failure point.

We have tried different types of glues - CA blue, CA purple, Super glue, Titebond wood glue. Nothing seems to work. It usually comes out around 10-12 kgs load.

We have even tried to reduce size, increase size of base every possible thing that we can think of.

Another thing we tried was splitting wood in thin strips and trying to wrap around the base piece like a tape.
Can anyone please help us?

Post by 123445 » February 10th, 2020, 6:26 pm

PayalParikh wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 6:15 pm

The base of our boomilever always comes from both the tension bars attach point. Its kind of glue failure. It does not break, the whole base pops out. Our whole boomilever stays intact most of the time, this is mostly our failure point.

We have tried different types of glues - CA blue, CA purple, Super glue, Titebond wood glue. Nothing seems to work. It usually comes out around 10-12 kgs load.

We have even tried to reduce size, increase size of base every possible thing that we can think of.

Another thing we tried was splitting wood in thin strips and trying to wrap around the base piece like a tape.
I have also faced this problem before. The way I solved it was to just use a bigger piece of wood to laminate the base instead of using thin strips, I just cut 1/8x1/4 pieces and stuck them on the top and bottom of the base and it holds fine.

PayalParikh

Post by PayalParikh » February 10th, 2020, 6:29 pm

123445 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 6:26 pm
PayalParikh wrote:

I have also faced this problem before. The way I solved it was to just use a bigger piece of wood to laminate the base instead of using thin strips, I just cut 1/8x1/4 pieces and stuck them on the top and bottom of the base and it holds fine.
We have tried that too. But the result remains same. Which glue is best for such situation?

ganesh
Division: B
State: CA

Post by ganesh » February 10th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Does anyone know what laminating means in terms of boomilever?

I see it a lot on the forum and I believe it means coating joints with extra glue but I am not very sure.

Post by 123445 » February 10th, 2020, 7:12 pm

PayalParikh wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 6:29 pm
123445 wrote:
PayalParikh wrote:

We have tried that too. But the result remains same. Which glue is best for such situation?
Are you allowing the glue to fully cure? You really shouldn't be having this problem of the base separating from the tension members if you are laminating correctly.

PayalParikh

Post by PayalParikh » February 10th, 2020, 7:42 pm

123445 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:12 pm
PayalParikh wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 6:29 pm
123445 wrote:

Are you allowing the glue to fully cure? You really shouldn't be having this problem of the base separating from the tension members if you are laminating correctly.
By on top and bottom of the base, you the ends of this pieces will stick to the tension bar? & base piece in between the tension?

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » February 10th, 2020, 8:11 pm

PayalParikh wrote:

Gorilla glue
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”