Boomilever B/C

dankdecidueye
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by dankdecidueye »

hey everyone!

I looked the rules over from and saw rule 5.a.v, what does this exactly mean? For example, if we're doing a box boomilever would our compression member have to be 8 cm wide?

first post wooooo :D :D but not first year in scioly lmao
BigBootyBason
Been thanked: 0

Post by BigBootyBason »

klastyioer wrote: September 11th, 2019, 6:56 am
AngelMB wrote: September 10th, 2019, 6:19 pm
CPScienceDude wrote: September 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm One time my boomi friends walked over and quickly dropped some glue on my palm and then sprayed it with accelerator... It was a lot of glue too.
Did you get massively burned? That sounds ridiculously painful, the closest I've been to this was getting welts from accidentally getting hot glue on my lips and chin
yo i did that to my entire hand and elbow once it wasnt painful it just took FOREVER to get off
dontquote me
RobertYL
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by RobertYL »

dankdecidueye wrote: September 17th, 2019, 3:05 pm I looked the rules over from and saw rule 5.a.v, what does this exactly mean? For example, if we're doing a box boomilever would our compression member have to be 8 cm wide?
The compression contact points with the wall have to be outside that 8 cm wide range. So a box boomilever would be hard to implement and probably not feasible anymore.
seastar07

Post by seastar07 »

Does anyone know where a hook could be bought for the 2020 Boomilever?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

seastar07 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 2:31 pm Does anyone know where a hook could be bought for the 2020 Boomilever?
Last year I bought one at Lowe's, but I think National Hardware has them, too.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

seastar07 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 2:31 pm Does anyone know where a hook could be bought for the 2020 Boomilever?
Any home improvement store should have them, including lowes and home depot. You could find one on amazon as well.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 4:27 pm
Any home improvement store should have them, including lowes and home depot. You could find one on amazon as well.
When I looked last year, the local hardware stores didn't carry the right hook. The rules explicitly call out N232-892, which you will find on amazon (other merchants are available). Amusingly, amazon shows this as "frequently bought" with a couple of different packages of balsa.
lunatix123

Post by lunatix123 »

hey y'all, am kinda new in this area of the boomilevers, anybody has some useful advice?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

lunatix123 wrote: September 24th, 2019, 1:09 pm hey y'all, am kinda new in this area of the boomilevers, anybody has some useful advice?
Hi and welcome to the forums! :) If you haven't read the rules, do that now. I'd start by reading the wiki, then through this year's and last year's forum. Balsa Man passed away over a year ago, but if you look back at his posts you will find a treasure trove of useful information (boomilever was run during 2013-2014).

After you understand enough about the event, draw up a prototype blueprint, and just start building. Don't worry if your first boom is trash because it probably will be. My first balsa structures of the season are always terrible, even though this my 3rd year in this type of event. The idea is to build, test, build, test, build some more, and build some more. With each build, you gain experience, and with each test, you get information on how to improve.

If you have questions, feel free to ask on this forum, or PM me. I'll try to help if I can, but there are certainly much more accomplished and better builders on this forum: DarthBuilder, TheChiScientist, sciolyperson1, waffletree, just to name a few ;) . Make sure you get advice from them, and once again welcome!

Two tips off the top of my head:
- Don't forget that holding max weight doesn't mean anything if you have a mega-heavy structure, because Boomilever is all about weight to load efficiency.
- Don't worry about looking stupid, because we were all noobs once. You shoulda seen my first few posts on scioly.org :P
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:58 pm
lunatix123 wrote: September 24th, 2019, 1:09 pm hey y'all, am kinda new in this area of the boomilevers, anybody has some useful advice?
Hi and welcome to the forums! :) If you haven't read the rules, do that now. I'd start by reading the wiki, then through this year's and last year's forum. Balsa Man passed away over a year ago, but if you look back at his posts you will find a treasure trove of useful information (boomilever was run during 2013-2014).

After you understand enough about the event, draw up a prototype blueprint, and just start building. Don't worry if your first boom is trash because it probably will be. My first balsa structures of the season are always terrible, even though this my 3rd year in this type of event. The idea is to build, test, build, test, build some more, and build some more. With each build, you gain experience, and with each test, you get information on how to improve.

If you have questions, feel free to ask on this forum, or PM me. I'll try to help if I can, but there are certainly much more accomplished and better builders on this forum: DarthBuilder, TheChiScientist, sciolyperson1, waffletree, just to name a few ;) . Make sure you get advice from them, and once again welcome!

Two tips off the top of my head:
- Don't forget that holding max weight doesn't mean anything if you have a mega-heavy structure, because Boomilever is all about weight to load efficiency.
- Don't worry about looking stupid, because we were all noobs once. You shoulda seen my first few posts on scioly.org :P
Huh. So I'm a master builder now? Nice. Anyways just ask build questions when you get them and then just wait for us gods to respond. :lol: (Waffletree is a Demigod though... :P )
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me

Return to “Boomilever B/C”