scioly2345
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rule 5a.v.

Post by scioly2345 »

To my interpretation, these new vertical contact width lines is the biggest rule change from the 2019 rules to the 2020 rules.
I just wanted to make sure my interpretation of this new rule is the same as everyone else's.
I interpreted this rule in simple terms as "the compression piece which is up against the testing wall must not touch between the vertical contact width lines, which are drawn 4 cm TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE HOOK (making the lines themselves 8 cm apart.)
In simpler terms, the boomi compression piece has to be 8 cm wide MINIMUM., still taking into consideration the horizontal line (15cm (Div C) or 20 cm (Div B) below the center hole for the hook.)
Is this how everyone else is interpreting this rule? I just wanted to confirm because the rules have little bit of tricky wording, because it doesn't mention anything about * cm, just 4 cm on both sides.
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
scioly2345

Re: Rule 5a.v.

Post by scioly2345 »

8 cm, not * cm in the last sentence.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Yes. (Note that the rule also applies to the tension member - it can't touch the wall either. It would be an unusual design that wanted to do that, though.)
Division: Grad
State: DE
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by 123445 »

Wait if the part of the boom touching the wall has to be wider than 8cm does that mean that the compression members will have to be diagonal (kinda) to hold the 5x5cm loading block. Im kinda of confused how thats gonna work. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

123445 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 7:32 pm Wait if the part of the boom touching the wall has to be wider than 8cm does that mean that the compression members will have to be diagonal (kinda) to hold the 5x5cm loading block. Im kinda of confused how thats gonna work. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Diagonal is not the only option, but I suspect it's one of the best options. Regardless, your interpretation seems correct.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dankdecidueye

Post by dankdecidueye »

Can't you just add a small little piece at the end that satisfies the 8 cm parameter or no?
cool hand luke
Division: B
State: TX

Post by cool hand luke »

You can do it definitely, will it work well is what the real question is.
scioly2345

Post by scioly2345 »

dankdecidueye wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm Can't you just add a small little piece at the end that satisfies the 8 cm parameter or no?
Theoretically yes you could, but I highly do NOT recommend doing that. The pieces on the end making the compression piece legal are still receiving the small amount of pressure as everything else on the compression piece
tsingh
State: IL

Post by tsingh »

scioly2345 wrote: September 21st, 2019, 12:02 pm To my interpretation, these new vertical contact width lines is the biggest rule change from the 2019 rules to the 2020 rules.
I just wanted to make sure my interpretation of this new rule is the same as everyone else's.
I interpreted this rule in simple terms as "the compression piece which is up against the testing wall must not touch between the vertical contact width lines, which are drawn 4 cm TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE HOOK (making the lines themselves 8 cm apart.)
In simpler terms, the boomi compression piece has to be 8 cm wide MINIMUM., still taking into consideration the horizontal line (15cm (Div C) or 20 cm (Div B) below the center hole for the hook.)
Is this how everyone else is interpreting this rule? I just wanted to confirm because the rules have little bit of tricky wording, because it doesn't mention anything about * cm, just 4 cm on both sides.
I noticed this rule change too, however while designing by boomi for this year I found that the angle that the diagonal compression members made with the perpendicular line from the testing apparatus is only about 2.12 degrees which increases the load on the compression members from 43.29 kg (boomi constructed according to last year's rules) to 43.32 kg, if carrying max weight.
This is why I don't really see this rule change as that significant to the event, besides of course the fact the it will be a little more difficult to build. Am I missing something here?
Last edited by tsingh on November 1st, 2019, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

the other obvious change is the bonus. There will be significantly different strategies from last year in dealing with it.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “Boomilever B/C”