Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

nyu12345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nyu12345 »

Can anyone help me figure out why my boomilever broke. It only held about 10 lbs and it seems to have broken around the compression members.
Last edited by nyu12345 on February 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorant
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

It seems to me that since your tension pieces are mounted to the bottom of you box beam, and the block is on the top of it, the wood/bracing between the two got crushed between the two. You could fix this by reinforcing the vertical connection between the top and bottom of the box beam in the area directly under the loading block.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

jinhusong wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:11 pm This time, my son asked permission to setup a camera recording the boomi. From the video, we can see the distal end is continuously going lower and lower, maybe because of combination of J-hook bending and tension strips are stretching.

From 0-9kg, it dropped about 20mm (our base is pre-dented with 40kg pulling on the J-hook). This puts quite a challenge to 4-leg style.

Hope this information is helpful to others.

Tiger
Consider for a moment a steel bar-joist. Each bar joist is a webbed member with a top and bottom chord, but only the top chord is "bearing" in most cases. The top chord of the joist is in compression, while the bottom chord of the joist is in tension. They are connected with a heavier web extending from bottom chord to top chord at the wall, redistributing the load to the upper chord at the wall. Would something like this help in keeping all points to the wall?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

I
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Are you gluing the point where the tension arm crosses the upper compression beam? If so, technically you may be creating a lever of sorts, where that upper joint acts as fulcrum, and the loading block literally pivots off of that point. That's what it looks like to me anyway.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

dholdgreve wrote: February 25th, 2020, 7:25 am Are you gluing the point where the tension arm crosses the upper compression beam? If so, technically you may be creating a lever of sorts, where that upper joint acts as fulcrum, and the loading block literally pivots off of that point. That's what it looks like to me anyway.
Hmmm, should we not glue the connection between the tension arm and the upper compression beam? I have been doing so, and it hasn't created a problem for me yet.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

top score @ regionals was 2.2k it didnt break, even after holding full load.
B)
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

sneepity wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm top score @ regionals was 2.2k it didnt break, even after holding full load.
Do you have more information? (e.g. division, state, chimney vs standard, other scores?)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

MadCow2357 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 4:35 pm
sneepity wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm top score @ regionals was 2.2k it didnt break, even after holding full load.
Do you have more information? (e.g. division, state, chimney vs standard, other scores?)
It is not my boomilever to share, and I think the owner would rather not say. But, I have to say, it was a really great boomilever, and as I said, it never broke!!! :D
oh and my boomilever did not do very well and i took 12th. I tried fixing something right before the testing and the j-hook attachment snapped with little weight, so I suggest the j-hook attachment to either be very bulky or very light- stay consistent with your design, because my boomi was very strong but the j-hook attachment wasńt. Something I learned today!!!
B)
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

sneepity wrote: February 29th, 2020, 6:09 pm
MadCow2357 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 4:35 pm
It is not my boomilever to share, and I think the owner would rather not say. But, I have to say, it was a really great boomilever, and as I said, it never broke!!! :D
Lmao is division and other scores really too much to ask? (I can understand not sharing if it's chimney or standard tho)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Boomilever B/C”