Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by jinhusong » February 20th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Like yours. 1/8 square balsa. About 1.5g and single finger push about 35g at 36 inches . With 13 crossing, it should hold more than 12kg each leg.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by MadCow2357 » February 20th, 2020, 4:16 pm

jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:02 pm
only the top 2 legs should touch the wall initially
What does this mean?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by jinhusong » February 20th, 2020, 8:06 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 4:16 pm
jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:02 pm
only the top 2 legs should touch the wall initially
What does this mean?
You know when you setup, the compression part is not leveled but a little tilt up. For 4-leg boomi, it means only the top 2 legs will touch the wall, the lower 2 should not touch the wall yet, until some load are added.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by MadCow2357 » February 20th, 2020, 9:35 pm

jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 8:06 pm
MadCow2357 wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 4:16 pm
jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 12:02 pm
only the top 2 legs should touch the wall initially
What does this mean?
You know when you setup, the compression part is not leveled but a little tilt up. For 4-leg boomi, it means only the top 2 legs will touch the wall, the lower 2 should not touch the wall yet, until some load are added.
Why did you build it this way?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by jinhusong » February 20th, 2020, 11:58 pm

So the boomi is leveled with 15 kg.

Current 4-leg: 6.85g, wish it can hold full load.

Tiger

User avatar
Torchic
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: January 20th, 2020, 10:27 am
Division: B
State: IL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 24 times
Contact:

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by Torchic » February 21st, 2020, 11:20 am

jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:58 pm
So the boomi is leveled with 15 kg.

Current 4-leg: 6.85g, wish it can hold full load.

Tiger
I do the same thing for my 8ish gram boomi.
Its 6-leg (3 per side) because I gave up on the up and down crossbracing, and 6 leg needs almost none
18-19- A&P-2nd R, 1st S Boomi- 2nd R 2nd S Game On- 4th R 2nd S
19-20- A&P-1st R Boomi-1st R Game On- 1st R
20-21-Same events as ^ xd
http://moskaushrine18842.000webhostapp.com/ Team Song at its finest >:3

Lovin' our team name

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by MadCow2357 » February 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

Torchic wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:20 am
jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:58 pm
So the boomi is leveled with 15 kg.

Current 4-leg: 6.85g, wish it can hold full load.

Tiger
I do the same thing for my 8ish gram boomi.
Its 6-leg (3 per side) because I gave up on the up and down crossbracing, and 6 leg needs almost none
Interesting design to try. Can you let us know how testing goes?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

User avatar
Torchic
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: January 20th, 2020, 10:27 am
Division: B
State: IL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 24 times
Contact:

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by Torchic » February 22nd, 2020, 5:59 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm
Torchic wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:20 am
jinhusong wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 11:58 pm
So the boomi is leveled with 15 kg.

Current 4-leg: 6.85g, wish it can hold full load.

Tiger
I do the same thing for my 8ish gram boomi.
Its 6-leg (3 per side) because I gave up on the up and down crossbracing, and 6 leg needs almost none
Interesting design to try. Can you let us know how testing goes?
Put 1 up and down bracing in the middle for support. Broke 2 seconds after holding 15 at Rockford.
Tried flatish tension arms to save weight. Broke at 13 (accidentially crushed the arms while gluing)
18-19- A&P-2nd R, 1st S Boomi- 2nd R 2nd S Game On- 4th R 2nd S
19-20- A&P-1st R Boomi-1st R Game On- 1st R
20-21-Same events as ^ xd
http://moskaushrine18842.000webhostapp.com/ Team Song at its finest >:3

Lovin' our team name

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by jinhusong » February 22nd, 2020, 10:35 pm

Our 4-leg boomi not good, crashed compression at 9 kg, got 7th place.

We will still go 4-leg, ordering new sticks. What we used now is left overs from 2 years ago.

Will try build at least one before regional.

Best,

Tiger

jinhusong
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Post by jinhusong » February 23rd, 2020, 3:11 pm

This time, my son asked permission to setup a camera recording the boomi. From the video, we can see the distal end is continuously going lower and lower, maybe because of combination of J-hook bending and tension strips are stretching.

From 0-9kg, it dropped about 20mm (our base is pre-dented with 40kg pulling on the J-hook). This puts quite a challenge to 4-leg style.

Hope this information is helpful to others.

Tiger

Locked

Return to “Boomilever B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest