Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Locked
RandomSmartGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by RandomSmartGuy » January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by MadCow2357 » January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am

RandomSmartGuy wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 319
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by knightmoves » January 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by MadCow2357 » January 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm

knightmoves wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.
Some schools do have solidworks licenses that they provide to their students for free. I use onshape bc I only have a school Chromebook and no pc, but from my understanding it's very similar in capability and function to solidworks
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

RandomSmartGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by RandomSmartGuy » January 16th, 2020, 7:01 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am
RandomSmartGuy wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
I will check out the software(s) that both of you have suggested. Eitherways, I found a free 3D-Space Truss Analyzer if you guys want to check it out. Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/samsoninfinite/

User avatar
xiangyu
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by xiangyu » January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm

How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
BEARSO/SOLVI/Solon/UMich/Allendale
Heli: 1/NA/NA/NA/2
WICI: 33/NA/26/33/1
Machines: 81/42/53/20/7
Detector: -/49/39/27/3
WS: NA/NA/2/NA/NA
Digital: 38/NA/1/1/1
Boomi: NA/NA/4/NA/2

Medal & Ribbon Count: 18
East Grand Rapids High School Team Captain

donutsandcupcakes
Member
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:18 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by donutsandcupcakes » January 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

xiangyu wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm
How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
Same here, last year, I was using Skyciv for building my boomis online, and then when I built them and tested them in real life, they didn't hold the expected weight. It might be that I messed up while building, or it could be that the program is inaccurate, but I'm not sure. Did the programs give anyone accurate results?

User avatar
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 772
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by MadCow2357 » January 17th, 2020, 8:14 pm

xiangyu wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm
How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2021 Events: Machines, Gravity Vehicle, Digital Structures/Boomilever
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
rip builds
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2247
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 605 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by bernard » January 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

xiangyu wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm
How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
Simulations may be helpful for evaluating the design of your structures and identifying areas for improvement, but simulation assumptions and variation in materials used may affect accuracy of your estimated load.
MadCow2357 wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 8:14 pm
The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
One could create a new material profile for each member but as you've pointed out, any model still doesn't account for microscopic variations in material that may allow early failure.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."
Rate my tests!

Locked

Return to “Boomilever B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest