Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

RandomSmartGuy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by RandomSmartGuy »

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Post by MadCow2357 »

RandomSmartGuy wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

MadCow2357 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

knightmoves wrote: January 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm
MadCow2357 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.
Some schools do have solidworks licenses that they provide to their students for free. I use onshape bc I only have a school Chromebook and no pc, but from my understanding it's very similar in capability and function to solidworks
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
RandomSmartGuy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RandomSmartGuy »

MadCow2357 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am
RandomSmartGuy wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm Hi all,
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
I will check out the software(s) that both of you have suggested. Eitherways, I found a free 3D-Space Truss Analyzer if you guys want to check it out. Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/samsoninfinite/
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
donutsandcupcakes

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

xiangyu wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
Same here, last year, I was using Skyciv for building my boomis online, and then when I built them and tested them in real life, they didn't hold the expected weight. It might be that I messed up while building, or it could be that the program is inaccurate, but I'm not sure. Did the programs give anyone accurate results?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

xiangyu wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Simulations may be helpful for evaluating the design of your structures and identifying areas for improvement, but simulation assumptions and variation in materials used may affect accuracy of your estimated load.
MadCow2357 wrote: January 17th, 2020, 8:14 pm The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
One could create a new material profile for each member but as you've pointed out, any model still doesn't account for microscopic variations in material that may allow early failure.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Boomilever B/C”