Fun

jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Fun

Post by jinhusong »

Hi,

Some of our top knowledge guys/girls suddenly decided they are interested to building boomilever.

I gave them the rule, the balsa and bass material, a blueprint, a jig, and a ready to test last year's boomi as reference. Here something I never thought I need to teach or tell them.

The guys doing a 4-leg chimney style, connected the tension strips to the braces between the legs, not directly to the legs.

The girls picked 2 compress legs style. The braces half way switched from connecting compression legs to connection the JIGs. The tension strips are inside the compression legs, not outside. And half way during their glue the base to the tension strip, they came to me, saying made another mistake that cannot continue:They glue the trapezoid base UPSIDE DOWN! They reallized it is a mistake because they cannot glue the other strip to it. It was late night, and they already exhausted all the basswood strips I have by some other small things. They decided to saw the base off and re-glue it. From the video they have during invitation, the sawed off base was first to go.

My own, night before Golden Gate, I found the wall I setup for students were wrong. I set it to 20mm gap between the hook tip and wall. They used that to setup and glue the base to the tension sticks. No time to rebuild, I calm down to think adding a piece to the base or adding a piece to the compression legs to make the 5mm up. At the end, I told the students we will not change anything and will just live like that. My calculation showed the error can cause 0.5% loss of weight holding.

I just love them.

Tiger
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Fun

Post by sneepity »

jinhusong wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:31 pm Hi,

Some of our top knowledge guys/girls suddenly decided they are interested to building boomilever.

I gave them the rule, the balsa and bass material, a blueprint, a jig, and a ready to test last year's boomi as reference. Here something I never thought I need to teach or tell them.

The guys doing a 4-leg chimney style, connected the tension strips to the braces between the legs, not directly to the legs.

The girls picked 2 compress legs style. The braces half way switched from connecting compression legs to connection the JIGs. The tension strips are inside the compression legs, not outside. And half way during their glue the base to the tension strip, they came to me, saying made another mistake that cannot continue:They glue the trapezoid base UPSIDE DOWN! They reallized it is a mistake because they cannot glue the other strip to it. It was late night, and they already exhausted all the basswood strips I have by some other small things. They decided to saw the base off and re-glue it. From the video they have during invitation, the sawed off base was first to go.

My own, night before Golden Gate, I found the wall I setup for students were wrong. I set it to 20mm gap between the hook tip and wall. They used that to setup and glue the base to the tension sticks. No time to rebuild, I calm down to think adding a piece to the base or adding a piece to the compression legs to make the 5mm up. At the end, I told the students we will not change anything and will just live like that. My calculation showed the error can cause 0.5% loss of weight holding.

fun
I just love them.

Tiger
B)

Return to “Boomilever B/C”